MNHQ - unwanted marketing emails [sad] ???

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

NoOneIsInterested Mon 21-Mar-16 21:42:49

I've received two unwanted marketing emails from MNHQ today (subject - 'Join Jo Whiley and Jess Phillips MP at Workfest 2016'.) One to my current MN email address and another to an old email address that I used to use for MN that I thought I'd deregistered. confused I've never signed up for advertising emails and have not received any before. Is this something to do with the recent site update? I know I can 'unsubscribe' but I'm curious (and a bit hmm ) why this has happened.

Sorry if this has already been covered in the big thread about the site changes.

Thanks.

NoOneIsInterested Mon 21-Mar-16 22:01:56

I guess smileys don't work in thread titles blush

DarrenHardysDrongo Mon 21-Mar-16 22:45:38

I've had that email today too. I haven't had anything similar previously (and don't want it in future) am a bit suspicious about it.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 00:30:58

I've asked MNHQ to comment on this

LineyReborn Tue 22-Mar-16 00:33:13

I deleted it and didn't open it.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 00:46:45

I think it was genuinely from MNHQ - it's just a bit spammy of them. I did not give permission for my email address to be used for such email (at least I don't think I did blush )

Have you checked in your profile what you are subscribed to? I used to get a lash of round up emails until I realised what boxes I had ticked

SilverBirchWithout Tue 22-Mar-16 00:51:44

Have you checked your Newsletter opt ins in your account options?

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 01:24:02

Yes I double checked that i wasnt signed up for any newsletter even though I knew I wasn't

NaughtyRed82 Tue 22-Mar-16 01:27:41

I had an email pop up today as well which was a first and surprised me a bit.

RedOnHerHedd Tue 22-Mar-16 01:29:16

I had the same email too.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 01:32:46

I am wondering if it's to do with a sneaky change in the Privacy Policy which contains the following statement

We only use the information you give us to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular:

To periodically send you emails about parenting news, Mumsnet news and courses, competitions, discounts or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided. This includes updates on the Mumsnet Blogging Network, should you join.

Whilst you can opt out of other email there doesn't seem to be a way of opting out completely. You can unsubscribe once you receive the spammy emails but that seems a bit confused . confused.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 01:36:28

Further down the page on the MNHQ Privacy Policy there is a section on Controlling your personal information

Which contains the following statement
You may choose to change or restrict the use of your personal information by going to your My Mumsnet Area. and altering your registration details and subscribing/unsubscribing to our email options

Unfortunately the link to the My Mumsnet Area links to a biscuit biscuit page grin.

DarrenHardysDrongo Tue 22-Mar-16 01:37:59

Good point OP.
I've been on MN for about 7 years now and this is the first time I've had unsolicited mail in that time, so a sneaky change to the privacy policy could explain it.
Hopefully HQ will let us know what's going on.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Tue 22-Mar-16 09:03:12

yes I thought the same. I chose the 'unsubscribe' option from that email, even though I thought I had already unsubscribed to newsletters. I don't know if that means I don't get any emails from them at all (e.g., password hacking or something), which wouldn't be great, or if it just blocks the unwanted newsletter ones.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Mar-16 13:48:33

Hullo everyone - we're really sorry about this. It was human error blush
We've now put in systems to prevent the same issue happening again.

Many thanks for reporting, and apologies again for the email.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 13:52:03

Thanks for the reply. I will forgive you just this once wink

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 13:55:41

Ohh, I forgot to mention that I was wondering if you realize that your privacy policy is a bit wishy washy and needs updating - it contains links that don't work.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now