Deleted thread listed as 'Trending'

(12 Posts)
PrincessFiorimonde Wed 03-Feb-16 14:18:59

How does that happen? The thread in question was deleted a couple of hours ago, I think. I assumed the 'Trending' topics were updated pretty frequently!

Or is it that people keep seeing the title in 'Trending' and keep clicking it, and so it just stays there? Does that mean it could theoretically be trending for days to come?

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Feb-16 14:23:24

I always thought 'trending' was about clicks not about posts, so as long as people are still clicking it will stay. A thread with 'famous person' in the title would be v popular with people wanting to know who.

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 03-Feb-16 16:05:22

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Feb-16 16:06:51

I think it may have gone. shock grin Took ages.

magimedi Wed 03-Feb-16 16:21:16

It's ever since they changed from most active to trending. Most active was the most posted on threads, trending is just the most clicked on threads - as far as I know.

Maryz has a long thread all about it here

It's bloody daft, having deleted threads in trending.

And I loathe the word 'trending' as wel..

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 03-Feb-16 17:24:36

Thanks for the link. I've read Maryz's thread now, and totally agree with her. I hadn't realised that the change from 'Most active' meant more than just a change of name <slow on the uptake>

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Feb-16 17:27:00

Most people loathe the word Trending. We all said so, then got told it was tough and it's staying. hmm

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 03-Feb-16 17:58:29

<whispers> I don't loathe the word trending blush, though I know lots of people do.
Must admit I thought it was changed from Most active just in a (misguided?) effort to appear, erm, trendy. But now I see Trending actually means something different, and can include not just slow-moving threads but deleted threads too, that just seems bonkers.

magimedi Wed 03-Feb-16 19:32:24

Bonkers is the right word, PrincessFiormonde

We are all waiting ( avec impatience) for the high heydens of MNHQ to sort this one out.

We ALL know what the trending thing does - we'd all like to know the reasoning behind it.

<stamps>

Maryz Thu 04-Feb-16 12:00:43

Well apparently there is no problem with it at all hmm. RebeccaMumsnet very helpfully told is so on this thread

"Trending works, so Tech tells us: Every 5 minutes we get the list of top viewed threads from Google Analytics and we just display the first 5 of those.

So it is the most viewed threads, not the most posted on."

More obfuscating grin - obviously it doesn't matter if the thread has no posts, or is deleted even - it has the most clicks so the advertisers are happy so it stays there.

<wanders off, muttering under breath>

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Feb-16 23:38:34

Tis a glitch in the matrix
Sorry

Maryz Fri 05-Feb-16 09:29:37

To be honest, Olivia, it's not a glitch.

It's a deliberate choice to select "Trending" the way you do. Obviously you could choose to do it properly another way, because when it was Most Active the, erm, Most Active threads were chosen.

I dunno why you changed it stop tinkering around ffs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now