Trolls on MN

(22 Posts)
Helicoptermom Fri 29-Jan-16 12:34:50

When I first joined MN, I quite enjoyed how everyone seemed to be able to discuss issues, offer advise and support, some of which I've gained a great deal and will forever be grateful.

However I must say, I'm now beginning to notice some very nasty postings where people just go all out and turn really ugly. The bigotry is just way too much on some of these threads.

There was a thread last night (all day in fact) that left a bad taste in my mouth. I was starting to think MN is turning into the Daily Mail.
Is there anyway MNHQ can do something about this?

Thank you.

lilproblem Fri 29-Jan-16 17:10:52

Agree - am new to mumsnet but some of the posts here are so so rude, I read a thread the other day where someone had no issue at swearing at another poster who had merely expressed her opinion. Think mods should get better at pulling them up.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 29-Jan-16 17:14:08

MNHQ aren't "mods" per se and rely on people actually reporting posts they disagree with.

If nobody does, then nothing happens. Even if you do, sometimes nothing happens. They always look in a post you've reported though and respond via email.

BIWI Fri 29-Jan-16 19:53:16

We don't, and haven't ever had, 'mods' on MNHQ. MNHQ rely on posters reporting threads/posters to them, before they will take action.

It's a massive site now, so it stands to reason that there are going to be some unpleasant people on here. Unfortunately, as we also have quite a public profile, the site also attracts more than its fair share of trolls.

Unfortunately, there is also a growing number of Daily Wail posters, who love nothing better than to purse their lips, clutch their pearls to their delicate bosoms and make a huge fuss over nothing.

But for the most part, it's still the same as it ever was - lots of people chatting, sharing stories, asking for support and advice. Some of this will be pretty robust - we do, after all, like to call a spade a spade here grin.

So if you see something that's not right, report it.

usual Fri 29-Jan-16 19:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Arfarfanarf Fri 29-Jan-16 19:59:49

Also, swearing or saying something someone doesnt like or even expressing a view others abhor does not mean someone is a troll.
Troll isnt a word that means 'i dont like what you say'. Same for goady fucker. Someone can express a horrible view but not be goading but actually genuinely hold that view.
If you think someone is a troll, or has said something unacceptable then mnhq say always report. They look into it and if it breaks talk guidelines they delete it.
Banning trolls is not that easy because there are so many techy ways to get round that, unfortunately

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 20:03:54

There was a thread in Chat about trolls today..

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2559358-Whats-with-all-the-trolls?msgid=58964592

usual Fri 29-Jan-16 20:05:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ApologiesToInsectLife Fri 29-Jan-16 20:14:02

Hide relationships topic. Hide aibu topic. 90% of trolls will be gone from what you read. It works.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 29-Jan-16 20:16:12

What about if you're disagreeing with and swearing at someone you think is a troll?

I should be banned with Usual in that case.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 20:18:11

It really helps doesn't it Apologies? I would like the option to hide 'Trending' because although i have topics hidden threads from them still appear there.

ApologiesToInsectLife Fri 29-Jan-16 20:24:10

Sparkling there's no trending on the mobile site (which I use nearly all of the time) so that's not an issue for me either thankfully!

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 20:29:13

Oh that's brill. I tend to use my laptop mostly. I do use my phone but post a lot less from it.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 29-Jan-16 21:01:41

I deleted all traces of MN from my phone to stop me being tempted to check it all day long, but it means I only really use it on the computer again now and keep getting sucked into Relationships and AIBU via Trending. Actually, just had an idea, back in a minute.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 29-Jan-16 21:02:55

Yep, that worked. Switched to Mobile site on the desktop smile. Makes the emoticons easier to use too grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 21:04:16

Ooh no. I have done it to have a look Who but how do you change back?

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 21:05:18

It's ok I have found it.

PlumpFiction Fri 29-Jan-16 21:10:39

I'm not sure that it's really a new thing. I first joined MN years ago and found it quite... bitchy for want of a better word... so decided to have a very long break from it. I've only come back relatively recently (last 6 months maybe).

On the other hand, I know that there are some who've been around consistently for quite some time who can see a change...

MistressMerryWeather Fri 29-Jan-16 21:15:58

What sort of bigotry, do you mean the trans threads?

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 29-Jan-16 21:44:29

Scroll right down to the bottom and click on Desktop Site Sparkling

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 29-Jan-16 21:44:56

sorry, missed your second post.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 21:46:06

Thanks Who i did have a mild panic. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now