should we address the casual antisemitism on MN?

(506 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

thedevilinmyshoes Thu 21-Jan-16 21:32:40

I rarely venture beyond my narrow range of interests on MN these days so I don't know if it happens a lot, or if a similar level of hatred is extended to other groups, but what I saw tonight was sinister (particularly against the current backdrop of a surge in antisemitic crime in UK). I wondered if we had an agreed definition of what constitutes antisemitism or if people feel the issue is covered and handled well enough within the existing guidelines.

HumptyDumptyHadaHardTime Thu 21-Jan-16 21:35:48

I agree.

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Jan-16 21:39:51

I must have missed this. What were you thinking of?

DamnCommandments Thu 21-Jan-16 21:42:07

Where's this?

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Thu 21-Jan-16 21:42:40

What do you mean, OP? Haven't noticed anything aside from the regular background levels of eg 'circumcision is barbaric' threads...?

SwedishEdith Thu 21-Jan-16 21:42:40

Link?

MotherofFlagons Thu 21-Jan-16 21:42:49

Huh wat? Is there anti-seminism on MN?

stargirl1701 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:44:10

The thread about the bris? It is genital mutilation without pain relief.

Jackie0 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:44:34

I haven't picked up on this either , what happened ?

thedevilinmyshoes Thu 21-Jan-16 21:45:53

thankfully I cannot link to it as the material hasn't been left to stand so it might be that the current guidelines against racism go far enough - it is a highly specific kind of racism though and I wondered if now would be a good time for users and HQ to agree upon a definition of what constitutes antisemitic material

it was so casual it was breathtaking

PotOfYoghurt Thu 21-Jan-16 21:47:05

Ah I thought it was the taxi driver one.

VocationalGoat Thu 21-Jan-16 21:48:09

Can you tell us what it was, OP? I missed it.

AnyFucker Thu 21-Jan-16 21:48:24

objecting to the circumcision of babies for non medical reasons is not anti semitism

thedevilinmyshoes Thu 21-Jan-16 21:49:44

if it was a mad one off thing I happened to have stumbled upon then we don't need to have this chat and that will be great smile

honestly don't know how widespread it is, that's why I started this thread, not to rehash one that was removed but to find out if other people have noticed a problem and if so whether anything can be done to address it

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Thu 21-Jan-16 21:50:15

Thanks stargirl1701 for providing such a quick, ready example of the sort of casual antisemitism I just mentioned. I barely had to blink! Didn't see the taxi driver thread, what happened? Glad it was deleted if was nasty.

RiverTam Thu 21-Jan-16 21:55:22

I don't think stargirl was being antisemitic. Jews aren't the only people to routinely circumcise their sons, it's very widespread in America for example. Being anti-circumcision isn't the same as being anti-Semitic.

Kreacherelf Thu 21-Jan-16 21:57:06

You get the odd Israel-bashing thread, but that's not anti-semantic

CoteDAzur Thu 21-Jan-16 21:59:16

I don't agree that circumcision is genital mutilation but saying so does not make stargirl anti-Semite.

Don't agree with her but will fight for her right to say her opinion, and all that.

Optimist1 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:59:51

Taxi driver one was about a Turkish driver overstepping the expected boundaries. here

TBH I've never been aware of antisemitism on MN, devil - would certainly report if I was.

Samaritan1 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:59:59

Removal of part of the genitals for non-medical reasons is seen by many as general mutilation. Female or male. It's not anti-Semitic to say so. Other religions do the same as well as many Americans who may not even have a religion.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 21-Jan-16 22:01:04

Anti circumcision (not for medical reasons) is not anti Semitic

Was it something else?

HumptyDumptyHadaHardTime Thu 21-Jan-16 22:01:12

That taxi thread shock

Costacoffeeplease Thu 21-Jan-16 22:02:08

Of course circumcision is genital mutilation confused

stargirl1701 Thu 21-Jan-16 22:04:19

I oppose FGM too not just circumcision. My opposition for genital mutilation is not restricted to one faith group.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 21-Jan-16 22:06:34

Are you going to say what was so sinister OP?

You say 'the casual antisemitism on MN' as though it's an established issue but then say you've only seen one incidence of it and won't refer to it.

I'm not saying it isn't there, I just haven't seen it, and now you've got me all confused...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now