How to have posting history deleted

(20 Posts)
enviousllama Wed 19-Aug-15 01:32:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GarminGirl Wed 19-Aug-15 01:41:39

You can't. Retrospective namechange is your best bet but with the hacking mnhq will have their hands full

TurnOffTheTv Wed 19-Aug-15 01:54:46

No way they will be able to do this at the minute.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 19-Aug-15 01:56:22

Give it a couple of days and then speak to HQ. at the minute I assume they are busy involved with police and online security companies to sort this bollocks out. Their inbox is probably heaving, so it might take time to reach your message.

differentnameforthis Wed 19-Aug-15 04:05:07

helpful replies...not.

Op, report this post & when the report screen comes up tell them what you would like to do or use this email address to contact them

contactus@mumsnet.com

differentnameforthis Wed 19-Aug-15 04:05:38

However, it make take a while as already mentioned

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 19-Aug-15 04:08:33

Yeah, I agree it might take time to get around to your request - but they've done it before so they can do it.

oddfodd Wed 19-Aug-15 04:12:10

Yes they've done it when something like this happened once before (funnily enough, also a bloke with a problem women talking to one another) hmm

But you may have to wait a little bit before its done.

enviousllama Wed 19-Aug-15 04:16:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BunnyFint Wed 19-Aug-15 09:26:55

I've asked for mine to be removed too. I've posted personal info that could out me under a namechange. Lesson learned. I tried to de-reg get directed to the mumsnet biscuit. I've spent the morning changing passwords, e mail.. I'll report my post now.

PoppyBlossom Wed 19-Aug-15 10:01:37

This has all been handled really badly, mumsnet you are losing a lot of trust from your users.

ImperialBlether Wed 19-Aug-15 12:06:32

You are blaming MN for this, Poppy? This could happen to any company.

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 19-Aug-15 12:11:09

Yes this could happen on any forum or site. I think they've done well sorting it out and informing everyone.

FishWithABicycle Wed 19-Aug-15 12:15:45

I don't think this is a reasonable thing to ask them to do. Every thread that you have posted something onto will stop making sense. It's not fair on the rest of us to destroy past conversations on a whim like that. Plus it's against the Ts&Cs you signed up to.

What you post on the internet is in the public domain. Anyone can read it. If you don't like it, don't post on the internet. But you can't really take it back any more than you can take back a sneeze.

Thurlow Wed 19-Aug-15 12:17:26

It's not MNs fault. Places get hacked all the time, and people who want to will find their way around the best security protection that a commercial site can have. I agree the communication hasn't been amazing this morning, but the hacking isn't their fault.

Sadly, I think it's best if everyone assumes that anything that goes on a public website can be found and read easily, and can also be matched up to email accounts quite easily.

OP, they have deleted people's posting histories in the past, though I have a half-memory that was more because people had been stalked, threatened etc rather than they just wanted things gone. But there's no harm in asking!

camperdine Wed 19-Aug-15 12:21:10

I hope mumsnet will relax their policy on deletions given what has happened. Users who have namechanged for privacy will feel very vulnerable after what has happened.

Hulababy Wed 19-Aug-15 12:26:45

I assume it a mammoth job to delete someone's entire posting history!

Mumsnet is an open network. Whatever you post is open for anyone to read at any time.

And this is NOT mumsnet's fault! If you want to lay blame - blame the one doing it, not the "victim" of the attack on security!

sliceofsoup Wed 19-Aug-15 12:29:37

I don't understand why people post stuff on here, then act surprised when their anonymity is compromised. You aren't anonymous on here or anywhere else on the internet. You never have been.

Name change, change small details in your posts, have a unique email address that does not include your name, and make your passwords strong. If whatever you are posting on an open forum is still too sensitive after all that, then don't post it.

I think it is unfair to be asking for all posts to be deleted. This is not mumsnets fault, and you knew what you were signing up for.

BertieBotts Wed 19-Aug-15 12:48:53

Can people please bear in mind that

- Everything you have posted under your current name is linkable back to that name ANYWAY. You don't need login details or passwords to know this.

- There is no way to search your own posts (whether it's really you or not) that you can't do as any user.

- Somebody logging into a hacked account might have access to a list of namechanges, IF they know that the name change feature exists and IF they know where to look to find the list. Then they would have to identify which of possibly a long list of namechanges has valuable information and advanced-search or google every one of those names.

- Advanced search only returns 500 threads. It's likely you've posted more than 500 times which means that anybody using AS to retrieve old posts will be looking for a needle in a haystack while only having access to one hay bale of the whole stack.

- Hackers are far more interested in obtaining quick lists of emails and passwords than they are in trawling for personal details, EXCEPT in the case where somebody has pissed them off - which appears to happen occasionally as in the swatting case. Your chances of being chosen for an attack of this kind are really low especially if you have not done anything in particular to piss off hackers. Being high profile and female, black, gay, feminist, etc does appear to make some people a target, as does having a prominent online position to speak out about feminism, politics, religion. If you are just a typical poster who tends to blend into a crowd it's unlikely you will be a target whether you are one of these groups or not.

- In cases of DV: The easiest way for a hacker to get somebody's home address is to look on the electoral roll or 192 directory enquiries/the online version of the Phone Book. Assuming that your ex already knows your real name, they don't need mumsnet or any other website to do this.

I appreciate people are concerned about PMs - but you'd need somebody to again, firstly know that valuable information is contained there, wade through a lot of not valuable information, and finally know who the addresses (etc) refer to and what they mean.

It might be worth having posts deleted but as a knee jerk reaction it might not be the most appropriate thing. Would be best if people could hold tight and not add to MN's workload unless they really have to. Hope this message helps to explain some of it, anyway.

Thurlow Wed 19-Aug-15 12:49:25

The disclaimer on Talk says

Please bear in mind that Mumsnet is international and is accessible throughout the world and that by contributing in any way to the website, as above, you are consenting to the publication of your contribution on Mumsnet and to linked Mumsnet sites.

It's a public forum. It's not entirely anonymous and anything you put on here is freely available, including to people who have not registered with MN.

It's hugely frustrating that this has happened, and the password hack is a pain. But the site never was anonymous in the sense that what you have written can't be seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now