That really wasn't well handled was it MNHQ?

(190 Posts)
ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Fri 14-Aug-15 11:37:26

Yes, this is a telling off.

Your communication over the Calm Down Jeffrey incident was atrocious.

I find it shocking that you can be sat there, posting to us that all is well and under control when we can see, in front of our very own eyes, that someone was hacking MNHQ posts and editing them, and also posting under posters names and editing other posts as well as deregging and banning other users who insulted them.

The response from you was seriously lacking, on top of your coquettish rubbish about not putting 50p in the meter when you went down over night.

Its not on.

You have a duty to your posters when these things are happening to keep us all informed, we're not stupid and we deserve to be treated with a little more respect. Not fobbed off with half truths and blatant lies.

MeganTrainer Fri 14-Aug-15 11:42:43

Oh god I can't STAND all the "50p in the meter" crap. I always imagine whoever posts it giggling girlishly and thinking "Oh this'll charm 'em into shutting up".

Just get it sorted. I'm still having to repeatedly log in even though my "keep me logged in" box is checked. Also it keeps crashing again. Bloody ridiculous.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Aug-15 11:43:23

Sorry mn, this I agree with. I do have some sympathy that you may be short staffed if you have people off on their hols. I also understand that you might not want to reveal any weak spots in your security. However, some reassurance about approximately what happened would be really valued by people.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 14-Aug-15 11:43:50

I sort of agree. We are all grown ups and I realise MNHQ cant discuss everything for site security reasons, they could have said they were subject to a DDOS attack, and they could have told us they were checking for data breachesbreaches, and that there had been none, with an explanation of how hacker was editing peoples posts without password access.

Obviously the site had some vulnerabilities, but far better for MNHQ to hold their hands up, say what had happened, how it had happened potential impact on users, that it had been fixed.

chaiselounger Fri 14-Aug-15 11:45:30

50p in the metre? Oh please. I'm not 5. That has got to be one of the most insulting things MN has ever done.
If it was meant to be light and humorous, let me assure you, it wasn't. It was REALLY dumb.

noblegiraffe Fri 14-Aug-15 11:49:18

I don't know, I think the 50p in the metre thing left Jeffrey with a bit of a limp dick. After all, he was playing for drama and he didn't get any.

Grim Twitter updates about being hacked sparking loads of speculation about who or what and how would have been exactly what the hacker was after.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 14-Aug-15 11:49:35

Another one who agrees. Didn't something similar happen on the original heartbleed thread too, with MN giving info that conflicted with the information/advice everywhere else?

Backforthis Fri 14-Aug-15 11:52:06

Maybe when Tech has finished sorting out the security they could get round to removing the stick from your collective arses.

SurlyCue Fri 14-Aug-15 11:52:54

shock i knew none of this.

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 14-Aug-15 11:53:48

Wtf is Jeffrey? <oblivious>

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Fri 14-Aug-15 11:57:06

I quite like mine where it is thanks Backforthis, it stops me from putting up with being treated like an idiot.

Mrsmorton Fri 14-Aug-15 11:59:51

Me neither surly. Gutted I missed all the action!!

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Fri 14-Aug-15 12:01:42

for those of you who missed the fun, its all in the Site Outage update thread stickied at the top of site stuff smile

SurlyCue Fri 14-Aug-15 12:04:19

Ahh i saw that thread in active and then saw it had a hundred gazillion posts and it would take an age to load on my phone so didnt click.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 14-Aug-15 12:08:06

I've a feeling more people would know about Jeffrey if that thread didn't have a generic title about 'site outage'. I mean, MN falls over with such regularity that it isn't really 'newsworthy'.

CoogerAndDark Fri 14-Aug-15 12:17:27

I do think shutting it down completely, sorting it and posting in broad terms what had happened and how would have been a good idea, but then again, it wasn't serious, other websites go down and all you get is 'sorry, we are having technical problems', so the response isn't a big deal, really.

Storm in a teacup. Ddos attacks aren't difficult to do and the resolute denial of anything going on while Jeffrey merrily altered MNHQ 's posts was pretty amusing.

AwfulBeryl Fri 14-Aug-15 12:18:03

I have seen the site outrage thread but I have been too lazy to go through all of it, I didn't realise it was that bad.
So do we know anything about who got in, why they did it and if they can or want to do anything with our info ?
Also if we de reg what happens to our reg details ?
Do they get wiped from your systems ?

Ubik1 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:20:13

You have a duty to your posters when these things are happening to keep us all informed, we're not stupid and we deserve to be treated with a little more respect. Not fobbed off with half truths and blatant lies.

They don't have any duty to tell you anything at all. If you are getting this upset perhaps you should take a break, op.

It's just a chat site. Sometimes things go wrong. No one dies.

CoogerAndDark Fri 14-Aug-15 12:28:56

I also think that if a site you are using is experiencing problems then the onus is on you to decide whether to carry on using it (at the time and in the future). Site staff aren't Nanny. They aren't there to soothe your furrowed brow and chase away the Narsty Hacker before he De regs you. Simpler to shut down and Come back up when it's fixed, yes. Moral obligation, no.

The Log In problems don't seem to be linked to the hacking anyway. But I bet it's made Jeffrey's little day to be blamed for it.

MagpieCursedTea Fri 14-Aug-15 12:32:42

I think the way MNHQ dealt with it gave minimal satisfaction to Jeffrey and that was what they were going for. He didn't get the big drama he wanted. He was treated like the joke that he was and that was the best approach.

chocolatechip123 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:37:50

I kept misreading it as 'site outrage' and assumed it was just business as usual.

AwfulBeryl Fri 14-Aug-15 12:42:38

So do people just hack sites for shits and giggles then, are hackers the new trolls ?

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 14-Aug-15 12:45:55

I think I got de-regged by him! I've had hell! I've had to name change and everything!

Arkkorox Fri 14-Aug-15 12:47:57

What exactly were they supposed to say?

' WE ARE BEING HACKED. EVERYONE PANIC. '

I think they handled what turned out to be a very silly hacker in the right way. Any more publicity and he would have got what he wanted.

plus him altering posts was quite funny

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 14-Aug-15 12:48:11

There you go MN wink
blog.statuspage.io/communicating-like-a-pro-during-an-outage-learning-from-twilio-part-1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now