More Goady Fuckers

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 17:59:40

Can we agree that if a poster starts a thread with a goady OP and doesn't return, they are a goady fucker. Can we also agree that if they haven't returned within the first three pages, they probably aren't going to.

26Point2Miles Sat 18-Apr-15 18:01:53

No. Because life can get in the way of returning to MN.

And what might be goady to you might be genuine to some poor poster.....who makes that call?

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 18:09:22

I'm thinking more about those posts that are general, not personal, a contentious topic and where responses come in really fast. The ones where it's someone's 'first post' or they say they have name changed, in other words no posting history.

If the idea is to generate debate with good intentions, why start a thread at a time when you're not available to join the debate.

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 18:10:14

And why not come back later and answer the many questions raised?

AuntieStella Sat 18-Apr-15 18:17:29

MNHQ always say they love reports. And have said that they will look in to potential goady fuckers.

So report it.

I don't think the users 'can agree' about it (we don't have MNHQ tools to look at posters properly).

And there are probably thousands of reasons why someone might start a thread and not come back within the time another post might expect.

But I really don't think you can do anything about someone behaving weirdly on the Internet.

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 18:22:26

Ok I'll report. I'm thinking about the feminist one and the grammar school one just now but there are always loads more.

ilovesooty Sat 18-Apr-15 19:17:40

I think I'm going to report the grammar school one. The OP has been back but is more goady with every post.

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 19:32:42

What did you put in the message box sooty? I put Goady Fucker? grin

Guess HQ will know what I mean?

ilovesooty Sat 18-Apr-15 20:06:46

I put goady fucker but it appears that both the OP and the sock puppet are now banned.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Sat 18-Apr-15 20:43:15

And what might be goady to you might be genuine to some poor poster.....who makes that call?

I kind of agree with this actually.

I was accused of being a goady fucker and a troll by lots of posters on a thread that I started once. It certainly wasn't my intention to be goady though, I was just feeling very vulnerable at the time and in a bad place emotionally. I think because of this I wasn't thinking straight and it honestly didn't occur to me that my thread might be taken that way.

Then again maybe I'm in the minority and most people are well aware of what they're doing.

Maryz Sat 18-Apr-15 21:18:34

(((((hugs))))) Fairenuff.

There, there, you'll get used to it and stop wanting to punch them through the screen

Really you will. Eventually. Apparently.

Though there do seem to be more than usual atm, and they all seem to know each other and turn up coincidentally on each other's threads grin

ilovesooty Sat 18-Apr-15 21:38:05

who makes that call?

HQ do, after you've reported.

The latest one was not only a GF but sock puppeting.

ilovesooty Sat 18-Apr-15 21:39:19

Meaning the grammar school one. Iona made that quite clear.

Fairenuff Sat 18-Apr-15 21:51:53

Thanks Mary

<sobs on shoulder>

Actually I've designed a phrase to post if I think someone is being a goady fucker. It goes like this:

'OP are you going to engage with the posters on the thread at all? If not, why did you start it?'

Polite and to the point I think grin

(If you see me posting that you will know what I'm thinking wink)

Maryz Sat 18-Apr-15 22:21:57

Oh, excellent.

We can add that to the plan of just posting:

flowers for you op

On every thread we think is a troll grin

Olivia will self-combust.

Coconutty Sat 18-Apr-15 22:25:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 18-Apr-15 23:03:49

AHEM <channels Olivia>

Yeah, sometimes it's obvious when Goadyfuckery is afoot, but sometimes it's not, you know? We hate to sound like a stuck record but do report it and we can check.

With the one earlier on Grammar Schools for instance, as soon as it was reported we could see there was sockpuppetry going on and were able to dust off the big red button. But we'd hate everyone to be sending snarky messsages on a thread to an OP who is having some sort of life crisis (or her internet has gone up in a puff of smoke or something), and so hasn't returned to the thread for a bit, and then comes back, cries and leaves forever!

So, yeah. Report don't retort, people.

Here endeth the goadyfuckery lesson.

daffsandtulips Sun 19-Apr-15 03:00:41

I personally don't mind what everyone seems to call a "goady fucker" or two. Most of the time a person probably comes here to genuinely ask a question that is a bit emotive, gets absolutely pelted and personally attacked, would you come back to a thread where that was happening. I wouldn't.

cozietoesie Sun 19-Apr-15 11:49:49

I don't mind the odd GF thread either.

You have no real idea what or who you're dealing with on the internet - some people simply have extraordinary lives, some people tell what they think is the unvarnished truth (except it's always as they see it ), some people ham it up a little to make a better story, some people ham it up a lot - and some people plain invent everything.

I have no idea why they should do that last except that they clearly have some strong need for something but if you think you can contribute and answer honestly by your own lights then that is surely a good thing if others are reading and perhaps thinking about the issues raised?

I'm sometimes a little concerned that others might be investing heavily in a thread which to my own mind is not real but then I don't know whether they're really reading and thinking about the topic or whether eg any flowers are rote only.

I think you can only report to MNHQ if something makes you edgy and then answer honestly and thoughtfully if you still want to engage with a poster or topic.

ilovesooty Sat 25-Apr-15 14:10:23

Plenty over the past couple of days again.

Fairenuff Sat 25-Apr-15 14:21:41

I haven't been around as much this week but I've taken to hiding threads where the OP doesn't bother to come back. Especially when they ask for advice and posters need to clarify things with them.

My TIO gets cluttered with abandoned threads otherwise.

It just seems so bad mannered, I really don't understand why they post in the first place confused

Unless, of course, they actually are goady fuckers who just try to wind people up and get them to argue with each other hmm

ilovesooty Sun 17-May-15 17:53:04

And it continues...

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-May-15 18:08:24

ilovesooty

And it continues...

Do report any goadyfuckery and we'll get on it like Bruno Mars UPTOWN Funk

Fairenuff Sun 17-May-15 21:30:48

I have. And you're not.

Still waiting for a reply to my email.

CycleChic Sun 17-May-15 21:38:39

Wait, since when was sock puppetrnot allowed? I thought that was one of the founding principles of MN! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now