Why Can't We Have An 'Ignore' Button?

(59 Posts)
CKDexterHaven Fri 22-Aug-14 15:13:57

Mumsnet is a constant target for trolls and anti-social men's rights types who constantly derail threads, constantly rehash old tired arguments and sometimes post downright offensive comments. Wouldn't it be easier for women to get together and talk in the way they want to talk and keep threads on-topic if there was an 'ignore' button as there is on other sites.

If you are unfamiliar with this it is a button which allows individual users to block the posts of posters they feel to be trolls, deliberately offensive or derailers. It does not prevent people who wish to see these posts from seeing them. There are people out there who really hate that women get to talk to one another and it would be great to just skip over them.

Other forums have this, why can't we?

EdithWeston Fri 22-Aug-14 18:58:40

"I remember the threads about it, but if a group were to form (and they have done in the past oldies/moldies etc.) it would be possible to subvert the boards."

Yes, possible, but I'd hope not likely. For subverting boards to limit (legal) freedom of expression would mean bullying others into silence had come to MN and that would be a shame. But starting a new website or other online group is always an option for those who would prefer that to a (mainly) unmoderated site. And the unmoderated ethos is a positive point for many.

WorraLiberty Fri 22-Aug-14 21:12:31

Do I want to know what travelling lemon is? shock

<< Hides Panzee >>

OneSkinnyChip Fri 22-Aug-14 23:35:18

See I think trolls win when they get attention. What better way to starve them of attention than ignore them? No read, no reaction. It's like they don't exist.

TiggyD Sat 23-Aug-14 17:21:29

Long thread about interesting subject...

<Nice Poster> So how do we solve this problem?

<Hidden Poster1> [hidden]

<Nice Poster> That's a good idea Hidden Poster1. Let's talk about that for a while!

<Other Nice Poster> What about the squirrels? Can we get enough grease?

<Different Nice Poster> You could try hitting it with a hammer! megaLOL!!!!

<You> WTF is everybody on about?

TiggyD Sat 23-Aug-14 17:26:10

Or...

<Nice Poster1> I think A.

<You> I think B.

<Hidden Poster1> [hidden]

<Other Nice Poster> I think C.

<You> Not sure C would work because of the otters.

<Nice Poster1> That was very rude You.

<Other Nice Poster> Yes. Can't believe you posted that after what Hidden Poster1 said!

TiggyD Sat 23-Aug-14 17:28:11

Wouldn't work. Threads would become a nightmare of confusion and misunderstanding with people only hearing half of a conversation.

ShutUpPan Sat 23-Aug-14 17:59:31

Threads would become a nightmare of confusion and misunderstanding with people only hearing half of a conversation.

So no change there then.grin

The FWR/womens rights board wasn't intended to be so exclusive as 'feminists only' - it came out of the dreadful fall out from the dittany episodes- and the 'womens rights' bit is the signifier of that.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 23-Aug-14 18:48:37

It took a major fall out from a push to make it a feminist board to clarify that it is a board to talk about feminism.

capsium Sat 23-Aug-14 21:00:23

As I says earlier, I don't mind trolls. You get the devils advocate, the resistive characters and overly critical in real life. Well I have certainly come across them...what I mean is I don't expect MN to be any different and would be rather dissapointed if it was. I expect my views to get tested anyway..it is what makes boards exciting...

Re. Feminist boards I have been on a few threads but always feel I am lacking in a knowledge of all the classic ideological positions. It is like you have to be really clever just to comment sometimes...just me feeling this? Maybe..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now