I accept I'm taking a risk posting this here (dons helmet), but I have a suggestion

(297 Posts)
Maryz Tue 08-Jul-14 17:53:51

to negate the aibu effect. I suggest that aibu threads don't appear in Active Conversations at all.

That way newbies to the site could see an AC list that contains those rare threads, you know - the supportive, helpful ones grin

And the people who only hang in aibu and like to cause problems can ignore Active, enter the site via AIBU and stay there, safely hidden from everyone else.

And it's all very well to say "hide the topic" but most newbies haven't yet worked out how, so never get beyond it sad. And even if the topic is hidden the threads appear in Most Active and I people get drawn in.

Mintyy Tue 08-Jul-14 18:00:44

Excellent stuff Mary.

But also, hq, would you kindly consider ...

1. renaming AIBU "Petty Gripes"

2. deleting all AIBU threads after 3 months but keeping Chat ones (some of which are brilliant and so helpful)

3. actually engaging with the many posters who express their great concern about the way AIBU taints the site, rather than just ignoring them for years.

That would be lovely!

BirdhouseInYourSoul Tue 08-Jul-14 18:01:51

Agree with all of the above!

JewelFairies Tue 08-Jul-14 18:03:15

Also agree. Brilliant ideas.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 08-Jul-14 18:03:38

I concur!

Hide AIBU from active convos by default
Delete Aibu after a fortnight
Keep chat threads for ever

All sounds great ...

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Tue 08-Jul-14 18:05:20

Good ideas!

Maryz Tue 08-Jul-14 18:05:50

Oh, one other thing.

I would like to see instant deletion of any post outside aibu which says "yabu" or "you are being unreasonable".

I swear, it's all over the fucking place.

yy to deleting them all. They are mostly horrible, and they are no use as an "advice archive" as they are totally unsorted and it's impossible to find anything not helped by the archaic and mostly broken AS system, but let's leave that for another day

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Tue 08-Jul-14 18:06:05

Absolutely agree. With Maryz and Mintyy.

AnAirOfHope82 Tue 08-Jul-14 18:06:46

Agree with all the above too. I really like chat threads.
Also off the beaten track can be read on android mobles from the moblie site without logging in, so you might want to have a look and change that as well?

Maryz Tue 08-Jul-14 18:07:34

And, and, and <on a roll>

I still think it should be split into three "I want validation"; "I want a rant" and "I am a cunt", with more active moving of threads in the first two topics into the third grin

Mintyy Tue 08-Jul-14 18:08:30

grin

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Tue 08-Jul-14 18:10:10

Totally agree.

AIBU has become a state of mind for me many and people are either posting YA(N)BU all over the site, or posting non AIBUs under false pretences just to have it in AIBU.

thornrose Tue 08-Jul-14 18:11:45

Yes, yes to everything suggested.

sommerfugl Tue 08-Jul-14 18:11:45

Agree, sick of seeing people savaged on aibu

AuntieStella Tue 08-Jul-14 18:12:09

Or, on a related note, have an annual 'use the topics' day?

Suspend AIBU and chat (leave 30 days for those that really must go pfft and WWYD might cover genuine 'is this OK' questions). And then also move all threads ruthlessly to the most appropriate topic.

BuzzardBird Tue 08-Jul-14 18:12:32

Ban people from saying "yeh, yeh, yoni massage, penis beaker" Just ban them immediately.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Jul-14 18:12:45

I would L

fuzzpig Tue 08-Jul-14 18:13:13

I would LOVE a petty gripes topic. That's a fab idea!

I agree too. <baa>

sommerfugl Tue 08-Jul-14 18:13:32

Gently re-orientate my perspective so that i feel no humiliation - that'd be more iris maryz

AlpacaLypse Tue 08-Jul-14 18:14:47

Absolutely agree about AIBU being a nightmare to search in archive.

Can anyone face going back through and actually sorting them into Maryz's three types and additionally picking out and re-homing the rare ones that are actually useful and should have been posted in a different topic in the first place?

Maryz Tue 08-Jul-14 18:15:13

Excellent idea Stella [approving]

Can I be in charge? I will share with Trills.

[arf] at "gently re-orientate my perspective ..." grin

Maryz Tue 08-Jul-14 18:16:00

Oops, x-posted.

I'm not volunteering for a back-dated sort (though I would love an "instant move to X topic" button" for new threads.

FFSFFS Tue 08-Jul-14 18:18:45

YANBU (sorry, couldn't resist ). It seems like a good idea.

mipmop Tue 08-Jul-14 18:22:14

I agree.

My heart sinks when a new poster, often pregnant or a new parent, posts something which in AIBU results in them being attacked quite joyously, when if they had posted in relationships or breast and bottle feeding they'd have received the support they need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now