MNHQ now email posters with how to "get around" the talk guidelines.

(401 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 26-Jun-14 11:57:44

There is yet another thread on FWR about trans people. Like nearly every other thread on there about trans people, it's a load of transphobia dressed up as gender analysis.

Nothing new, sadly.

What is new, is that MNHQ have now sent an email to a poster whose post was deleted, telling them how their post could be within the guidelines, even including a copy of their original post to make editing all the easier. This is because "discussion is important".

So, a few questions for MNHQ.

Are GLBT rights at all important to you?

Will you be extending this " How to bend the talk guidelines" services to racist, homophobic, or disabilist posts too, or is it only trans people who deserve to be discussed in a manner which is extremely offensive?

MooncupGoddess Thu 26-Jun-14 22:53:47

But don't trans activists believe in an inherent gender identity, which can be separate from one's born sex? Have I got that wrong?

CrotchMaven Thu 26-Jun-14 22:55:22

Please don't all fall into the trap of only seeing and responding to the posts that trigger a reaction. That's dull forum behaviour.

See, Gosh, I would love to read your explanation of trans not being a belief. Not goading, I really would. I can't understand if no-one lays out their explanation. Links would do.

almondcakes Thu 26-Jun-14 22:56:23

I never suggested it was Goth Anne.

But genderism is a belief system that I am not required to believe in. I can still respect a trans person's lived experience and identity.

I suspect the reason you will not engage on the thread is because you would rather argue against straw men.

QueenStromba Thu 26-Jun-14 22:58:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 22:58:40

If you are interested in trans issues, why not post in Chat? I am sure there are people there who know trans people or have children / parents like that. You might get to find out stuff from people outside of FWR

kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 23:00:11

queen

In the nicest possible way - can you not post about me? I know I post on FWR - but I really don't want my body discussed on Site stuff as well.

But thanks for what you said though. flowers

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 26-Jun-14 23:01:58

I have been on many trans threads before, as I have already stated. I have no interest in discussing trans issues on your thread, just I wouldn't discuss race issues on Stormfront.

I feel MNHQ's moderation of this thread is hypocritical. Hence I have started a thread, in Site Stuff to discuss this issue.

KarlWrenbury Thu 26-Jun-14 23:02:42

oh god TERF

stop engaging with the weirdos

I said before - set a trap, pop back to provoke them and talk about it on a new thread called the New Lakeland catalogue"

CrotchMaven Thu 26-Jun-14 23:04:39

I'm more interested in women's issues, actually. But I would be interested in learning about trans issues on a trans thread, from all invested parties. And women born and rased as female are just as invested as you are, for the reasons laid out in the numerous threads.

A chat thread would only serve to frustrate your search for validation, kim. So, knowing you are on here, I wouldn't do such a thing.

QueenStromba Thu 26-Jun-14 23:05:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KarlWrenbury Thu 26-Jun-14 23:05:47

aggie and kim?
OMG

almondcakes Thu 26-Jun-14 23:07:23

GothAnne, that is your choice, but I think you should stop attributing beliefs to me on this thread that I have never claimed to hold.

kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 23:08:06

Why discuss - you won't listen. You can just carry on posting your thoughts on transpeople in the safety of FWR.

CrotchMaven Thu 26-Jun-14 23:08:08

Why hypocritical? I am certain as I can be that MRAs (or their ilk) have been advised how to post prevously. That would explain their longevity, at least.

CrotchMaven Thu 26-Jun-14 23:09:08

Touche!

But is your lived experience more important that mine? Isn't that the crux?

kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 23:09:20

Of course - if you posted on Chat, you'd probably face a different reaction.

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 26-Jun-14 23:10:01

A trans person, contributing to a thread about trans people is spamming?

As opposed to all the uber valuable contributions from people who have only encountered trans people on the internet?

So no trans people are allowed on threads about trans people, unless they behave in a way that non trans people approve of?

Do you hear yourselves? Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?

kim147 Thu 26-Jun-14 23:11:31

Can you all please stop discussing me?

Thanks

almondcakes Thu 26-Jun-14 23:12:46

Again, nobody said the things you are claiming they said, Gosh Anne.

TiggyD Thu 26-Jun-14 23:13:16

I think the best way to have a debate about trans issues is in a feminist section so 50 ardent trans-deniers can crowd round the one or two trans people and tell them they're just mentally ill blokes in frocks.

SwerfAndTerf Thu 26-Jun-14 23:13:30

It's precisely these Orwellian attempts at silencing and demands of doublethinking sex and gender that alerted me to the existence of transactivism. Although transgenderism conflicted with my feminism I believed it to be a benign entity that wasn't a big issue for women. The constant attacks on women for Naming the Problem are what revitalised my radicalism.

I keep seeing more and more women having radical epiphanies due to transactivism so these attempts as silencing are doing our work for us.

almondcakes Thu 26-Jun-14 23:16:18

TiggyD, again, that did not happen.

QueenStromba Thu 26-Jun-14 23:22:13

No GoshAnneGorilla. If the thread was "what is your experience of being trans" then it wouldn't be spamming, but when we're trying to talk about how transactavists are silencing feminists and eroding women's rights then a moderate trans person turning up and saying "but what about me?" on every thread feels like not only spamming but also silencing.

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 26-Jun-14 23:24:09

Querying the moderation on a website is not Orwellian.

Almond - Crotch maven did accuse Kim of spamming the thread.

I also think TiggyD's description is spot on, actually.

CrotchMaven Thu 26-Jun-14 23:24:58

I would love to read a counter to "being a woman is not a feeling" or "a woman is not a man who doesn't want to be so" or "women born and raised as female should be able to discuss the issue pertaining to that in feminist spaces without interefernce from those without the same lived experience". Really, would love to understand the counter argument. Because the opposite is what is posited and is being accepted on virtually all feminist spaces. It's completely bizarre to me that feminism has reached this point and I would like to understand the reasoning behind it. Genuinely.

However, back to the OP. I am certain as I can be that MRAs (or their ilk) have been advised how to post prevously. That would explain their longevity, at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now