has MN been taken over by another website? I keep getting 'Go Daddy' whenever I try and get on?

(25 Posts)
Meglet Sat 21-Jun-14 19:12:18

(I've also posted in geeky stuff).

Something strange is afoot.

If I try and acccess MN through my drop down history bar on my laptop it sends me to the Go Daddy website confused. It's like a giant pop up than doesn't have an exit option. Doesn't happen with any other websites.

Does anyone know what's going on?

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Jun-14 19:36:03

Eh?! This sounds most odd. Can we ask what device you're using and which service provider? We'll take a look.

Meglet Sat 21-Jun-14 19:53:30

ah, I know very little about computers.

Device, laptop and internet explorer.

Service provider, BT.

You're going to need more info than that aren't you?

BertieBotts Sat 21-Jun-14 19:55:50

Do you have antivirus?

Meglet Sat 21-Jun-14 19:56:21

this is what is says at the top of the Go Daddy page...

'Welcome to: mumsnet.co.uk
This Web page is parked for FREE, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.'

I've even deleted MN from the drop down options and re-typed it. It still sends me back there.

Umm Meglet.
Are you using .com because you've typed mumsnet.co.uk?

Nessalina Sat 21-Jun-14 20:02:03

Mumsnet don't own the .co.uk, so it's a domain for sale. Only .com works smile

TickleMePurple Sat 21-Jun-14 20:04:18

Problem diagnosed remarkably quickly!

Meglet Sat 21-Jun-14 20:04:59

blush.

If I type mumsnet.com it send me to mumsnet.

thank you thanks <<gets coat... scuttles off>>

In my defence I have had a hectic week.....

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Jun-14 20:30:16

Ah! Problem solved! Thanks all! I nearly had to get the internet out of its box then and give it a kick. Cheers!

MissMillament Tue 24-Jun-14 21:06:06

I've had exactly the same problem. The question is, why is my dropdown history showing mumsnet.co.uk if Mumsnet has only ever been .com? It hasn't. The site used to be available through the co.uk domain or it wouldn't be in my history. And now it isn't. What's going on, MNHQ?

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Jun-14 16:53:27

We've consulted the Ye Old Book of MN Lore (also known as asking Justine), and Mumsnet has always been a .com. We also own the domain mumsnet.co.uk, as you can see.

I've just had a look on IE (is that what you're all using?) and it appears Bing helpfully auto suggest Mumsnet.co.uk when you start typing mumsnet.co...

Does that sound like it could be the answer?

MissMillament Thu 26-Jun-14 18:31:59

No,it still doesn't make sense because when I click on that link, or type mumsnet.co.uk, into my browser, I am taken to GoDaddy. So it might be an idea to check the status of the .co.uk address which is the one I have been using for about 8 years to access Mumsnet.

TickleMePurple Thu 26-Jun-14 23:30:37

Your link "as you can see" takes me to GoDaddy as well. Looks like your registration has expired then! I'm using Chrome.

CanadianJohn Fri 27-Jun-14 06:06:19

Your link to mumsnet.co.uk takes me to GoDaddy, so I think your domain registration has expired.

"Welcome to: mumsnet.co.uk This Web page is parked for FREE, courtesy of GoDaddy.com."

SunnyRandall Fri 27-Jun-14 06:43:59

I get godaddy too. Using Firefox.

Meglet Fri 27-Jun-14 08:46:54

Ooo, it wasn't just me then.

BertieBotts Fri 27-Jun-14 08:47:25

YY, because surely if you own mumsnet.co.uk, then it should just be redirecting straight here. Which from what others say sounds like what used to happen. Otherwise there's no point you owning it (apart from to prevent anyone else from using it I suppose?) - But either way it is simple to set up a redirect and if you own the domain name that would make sense.

As an aside are you really using hosting from GoDaddy? They're a horrible sexist company!

NadiaWadia Fri 27-Jun-14 23:53:32

Yes I've been getting that as well (GoDaddy). Annoying.

NadiaWadia Fri 27-Jun-14 23:54:06

Using Internet Explorer.

BanjoKazooie Sat 28-Jun-14 01:59:30

I'm curious to know what happened? Is GoDaddy hosting mumsnet.co.uk?
Did someone forget to renew the domain name? confused

<<haven't actually a clue what I am talking about>>

NadiaWadia Wed 02-Jul-14 03:38:19

I have been getting in the last few weeks by using my own link (under 'History'). But just quickly typed in 'www.mumsnet.co.uk' and got taken to GoDadday again! Maybe your IT dept need to look into this?

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:20:00

Aha! Have chatted to ShamTech and figured this out!

We do own mumsnet.co.uk, and until recently, if you went to that address you'd automatically be redirected to mumsnet.com, which explains why some of you had it in your history. However, we've recently switched servers, so the new redirect isn't up and running yet, which is why you're getting the GoDaddy site.

We'll have redirect up soon, so you'll be able to get to MN via the co.uk address and it won't make any difference.

NadiaWadia Wed 02-Jul-14 19:41:33

Cool!

NadiaWadia Wed 02-Jul-14 19:43:23

Mystery solved then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now