Do you think we could have polls?

(20 Posts)
MalcolmTuckersMistress Mon 16-Jun-14 16:39:44

Hello lovely MNHQ thanks

I've been wondering, if you think it would be possible for us to have an option for having polls? I think it would be really useful to have it as an option. Think of how useful it would be in AIBU and for people wishing to find out the opinions of other with products and such like!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Jun-14 16:06:06

Hello - interesting idea, although might have some of the same downsides as a 'Like' button? What do other people think?

dietcokeandcadburys Wed 18-Jun-14 16:17:57

I think it'd be great. AIBU gets filled up with so many posts simply saying YABU/YANBU it would be much easier to just have a button to click.

CalamitouslyWrong Wed 18-Jun-14 16:26:10

A vote on AIBU would make sense. However, sometimes people change their minds after reading a thread, so the thread would be full of 'I voted YABU but not I actually think YANBU'.

You'd also need to include a 'this is not an AIBU question' option, as the threads so often aren't.

FolknNorah Wed 18-Jun-14 16:33:39

What about a separate polls topic? There's often a thread saying quick, help me decide something isn't there?

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Wed 18-Jun-14 16:33:49

Great idea. Also useful for other threads.

Shall I wear this dress or that dress?
In the meet ups section maybe?
Baby names

I don't think it has to be foolproof and cover every eventuality. Just a fun thing to have the option of on a thread. Definitely support this.

MrsBeeee Wed 18-Jun-14 16:57:36

If we had a poll about having polls I would vote yes.

Lots of uses and a benefit to the site.

BigPawsBrown Wed 18-Jun-14 17:00:04

I'd love to see polls here.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Jun-14 17:05:36

It would stop a lot of pointless threads and cut through a lot of the fluff.

But isn't that what Mumsnet is all about?

It would need to be just an OP and poll with no thread, otherwise youll end up with vast essays if people justifying their choices and changing their minds and entirely negating the point of the poll in the first place.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 18-Jun-14 17:06:31

And MNHQ could have polls too like do you really want to see shitty little flags pasted all over the place...

MalcolmTuckersMistress Wed 18-Jun-14 17:10:40

Or even just a section with polls in it to see how it goes would be good?

With things like the Scottish Referendum coming up , it would be really interesting to see at a glance what people think. Saves having to wade through hundreds of posts of arguments and bickering.

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Wed 18-Jun-14 17:11:01

Oh no, I want the poll and the thread. The ability to vote and comment.

QueenAnneofAustriaSpain Wed 18-Jun-14 17:11:58

And I would most definitely vote yes to the flags.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Wed 18-Jun-14 17:31:08

Yes definitely poll and a thread and ability to post fo shizzle. But I meant maybe try it out in one section first for safety.

Flopsy28 Wed 18-Jun-14 19:37:47

I'm all for a poll <and poll for all>

TiggyD Wed 18-Jun-14 21:56:04

Please please please for Baby Names! So we can just vote no instead of having to explain why the names people have chosen are shit. Because they are shit. Nobody who ever asks on Baby names has ever come up with a name that isn't shit, because you instinctively know if the name is shit and want people to talk you round to think it's not shit, but it is. Shit shit shit.
Give your children NAMES for fucks sake! Not things that sounds like types of sofas at Ikea or badly spelllllled Nayms or ones that start with K.

So yes to polls.

TheCheckerdyHorse Wed 18-Jun-14 23:46:48

Got yer mesh a bit twisted, there, Tiggy?

Yes please to polls. Imagine the hits! You could just whack through the lot going yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, no.

TheCheckerdyHorse Wed 18-Jun-14 23:53:56

You should have a poll on whether to have a Like button. You can't go by who shouts the loudest on a thread.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:47:33

Thanks - just to say we're still reading, and keeping an open mind, so carry on letting us know what you think.

cozietoesie Thu 19-Jun-14 15:48:54

I had experience of polls elsewhere. They were annoying, people tended to mis-use them (by mistake) and they pretty well became a redundant feature.

People seem to like to talk!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now