FAO Nightwatch

(24 Posts)
Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 01:29:38

Particularly revolting troll in progress

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2105494-need-advice-from-mums-of-teens?

What is correct nightwatch alerting procedure BTW? I never did get it straight.

Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 01:36:29

Or is Nightwatch weekends only?

(same delightful tale is also here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/teenagers/2105558-need-advice-for-son-puberty-problems )

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 13-Jun-14 01:37:39

No, you just report as usual. The only difference with Nightwatch is because they're volunteers (FFS), they can pull obvious threads but have to leave the 'judgement calls' to the paid day staff.

Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 01:40:20

I see hmm Thanks Tortoise

Do you want more volunteers MNHQ? There are certainly enough insomnia victims and internationals around here to provide thicker coverage.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Fri 13-Jun-14 01:46:32

Well actually I might be wrong, now I think about it. I've definitely reported spam that pops up at night, and had it deleted, but I haven't paid attention to the timelines before.

I've offered night mod duties several times. But I have an issue with the volunteer aspect, as you can tell - because I think what MNHQ needs is actual paid staff at night, so that awful things like yesterday's Caitlin177 debacle don't happen.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 13-Jun-14 01:49:50

This isn't an 'either or' type of thread. First troll thread I've ever read that has genuinely upset me. Just, please, get rid And/or call the police on this person

xihha Fri 13-Jun-14 01:51:14

MNHQ as I'm up on here all night anyway I'd be happy to volunteer too if you need anyone.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Fri 13-Jun-14 01:51:20

I volunteered but when Helen left I was forgotten about...not bitter at all grin

I have posted about that thread already on the Nightwatch board. And reported it.

I have no idea though if they get reports or only see what is on the nw board? And you don't know if anyone has seen them or who might be around, or if no one is.
It is a bit of a pita to have to c&p the url go to the board and start a thread to report something though. A couple of times (on my phone) with the usual spam I've only reported on thread because you don't even know if anyone will even see it the NW thread you've fiddled about pasting.
It does seem to need a bit more support maybe?

Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 01:52:43

Yes the child protection element makes it a bit different. I actually feel sick.

Someone just showed me we have a Mightwatch board which is good. Hopefully there is also a paedophilia policy must be).

Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 01:57:31

More hands on deck couldn't hurt though.

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Jun-14 14:15:08

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments. We'll take them on board as there is the possibility of expanding night watch in the future. We've now zapped that thread. You can get the lovely night watches' attention here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_night_watch

Sparklingbrook Fri 13-Jun-14 14:21:23

Posting on the Nightwatch thread makes me feel like a grass. It's there for the troll to see.

Would be better if we could report as normal and it went through to Nightwatch.

Fideliney Fri 13-Jun-14 14:49:53

Well at least I learnt that there WAS a night watch thread, but you have a point there Sparkling

Sparklingbrook Fri 13-Jun-14 15:09:23

It feels like telling tales. Trollhunting should be private so I am told.

xihha Fri 13-Jun-14 15:29:30

wink I'm such a teacher's pet that telling tales doesn't bother me Sparkling so am happy to post on there for you should you ever need me to. I agree tho, being able to report privately would be better.

Sparklingbrook Fri 13-Jun-14 15:30:25

Thanks xihha I will make a note. grin

ppplease Fri 13-Jun-14 22:35:03

I am confused.
Are reports done in the normal way late in the evening and during the night, seen by the Nightwatch crew or not?

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 14-Jun-14 13:59:31

I agree - there should be a 'report to Nightwatch' button rather than the current very faffy way of getting their attention.

Sparklingbrook Sat 14-Jun-14 14:06:16

Can you imagine someone reporting you on the Nightwatch thread? Do you then go over to the thread and defend yourself? grin

ppplease Sat 14-Jun-14 16:24:07

grin
I think some might, if they were ever around long enough to understand the system! grin

But hang on, they couldnt though, because they were temporarily suspended from posting? Or is it just that particular thread that is temporarily blocked?

And so they could also start up a new thread if they could be bothered?

Fideliney Sat 14-Jun-14 16:26:54

I can well imagine a troll starting a thread and then hopping around to nightwatch and wherever enjoying the reaction hmm

Sparklingbrook Sat 14-Jun-14 17:35:05

Exactly.

And on the other hand imagine being flagged on Nightwatch when you are perfectly above board.

FruVikingessOla Sun 15-Jun-14 18:03:51

I think the NightWatch system is very 'clunky' and needs streamlining.

Most people haven't got a clue about it, or how it works anyway; and those who do, would probably, in the first instance, click on Report on a thread rather than starting a new one in the NW topic.

And, I agree with Sparkling. To start a new thread in the NW topic has its downsides - for many reasons.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jun-14 16:26:00

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. We have been thinking of ways to streamline the process and we have listened to lots of feedback on it.

We're looking to change the process slightly in the near future and will keep you posted on the changes as and when they happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now