What is going on with my username, MNHQ?

(34 Posts)
VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Mon 02-Jun-14 20:54:43

I changed my username to VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets and have managed to post with that name once but it keeps going back to this username and dropping the "Pamphlets* sad

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 10:28:29

<picks up scattered pamphlets>

Afraid there's a character limit on nicknames which it looks like you've hit- so you'll have to abbreviate it somehow or think of a new name.

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets Tue 03-Jun-14 16:46:29

But I have posted with the full name once confused

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets Tue 03-Jun-14 16:46:51

Twice now!

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets Tue 03-Jun-14 16:47:41

Maybe it has fixed itself... <spooky music>

Some of my changes have been scupper end by the letter limit.

Very jealous of your allowance

BuzzardBird Tue 03-Jun-14 16:48:46

grin

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 17:10:02

You've actually got both names assigned to your user account - that is, at some point you changed from 'VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets' to 'VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory', and your account is treating them as two separate user-names that you're switching between. Are you logging in and out a lot?

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Tue 03-Jun-14 17:14:40

It's happened again! I haven't logged out, I haven't even closed this tab, I just went into the kitchen to make dinner confused
I didn't register the shortest name on purpose, it looked like the longer name was successful but then when I posted the shortened name came up, so I registered the longer name again and it worked for one post. Then I got fed up and went back to my old nn.

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Tue 03-Jun-14 17:15:52

Can you remove the shorter name from my profile? Then maybe it will stop switching back?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 17:23:14

Spooky confused

We've had a look and the full username is indeed ten characters longer than it should be, so there's some glitch in the system that has allowed you to register a too-long name but then keeps taking it away from you.

We've no idea how it's happened tbh but we'll have a look!

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Tue 03-Jun-14 17:29:11

Ta very much... smile

At least MNHQ replied to you, Constable Visit - usually people hide behind the couch, don't they? grin

BuzzardBird Tue 03-Jun-14 17:36:24

This is favouritism! I want BuzzardBirdIsTheOriginalBuzzard grin

I had this once. I registered a name which I used once and then it cut it down an I couldn't get the longer name back again.

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Tue 03-Jun-14 18:08:45

STDG grin I was worried they would close the curtains and switch the lights off tbh!

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jun-14 11:03:25

Just because I'm nosy, what's the story behind your NN? Why does the infidel have pamphlets? Tell me to bore off if you don't want to explain grin

Have nothing useful to say about the glitch other than you clearly must be the Chosen One.

<he doesn't anymore>

"bore off".

Adjust yourself, KateS, your youthfillness is showing.

wink

Terry Pratchett, Disc World.

Constable VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets is a member of the City Watch (and he's visiting the infidels, with pamphlets - they don't have them already grin)

Terry Pratchett describes Constable Visit thus:

"Constable Visit was an Omnian, whose country's traditional approach to evangelism was to put unbelievers to torture and the sword. Things had become a lot more civilised these days, but Omnians still had a strenuous and indefatigable approach to spreading the word, and had merely changed the nature of the weapons. Constable Visit spent his days off in company with his co-religionist Smite-The-Unbeliever-With-Cunning-Arguments, ringing doorbells and causing people to hide behind the furniture everywhere in the city."

And:
"Entire pubs have been known to draw the curtains, turn off the lights and lie on the floor whimpering at news of his coming down the street."

Poledra Wed 04-Jun-14 11:43:07
VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets Wed 04-Jun-14 17:54:08

Sorry Kate I missed your Q, but everyone else has explained nicely grin

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatoryPamphlets Wed 04-Jun-14 17:54:33

oooooh I am the chosen one....

VisitTheInfidelWithExplanatory Wed 04-Jun-14 18:00:14

...aaand now it's gone sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now