Giving Week is here: donate funds to MNer-nominated organisations and MNHQ will match them!

(115 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 16:00:46

Hello all

As you may remember, a wee while back we asked you to nominate your favourite charities and related organisations for the inaugural Mumsnet Giving Week. Well - the nominations are in, the shortlist has been drawn up and <drumroll> Mumsnet Giving week starts here!

First, a thank you: you suggested an amazing selection of worthy organisations, and choosing just five was, as you can imagine, an astonishingly difficult task. In the end, though, we settled on the following:

Women's Aid
Free Cakes for Kids
Woolly Hugs
Haven House
PDA Society

As of now, the Yimby and Just Giving fundraising pages are ready to take your donations. And remember, we’ll be matching whatever money you raise, up to the combined total of £25k (we thought we’d better set some sort of limit in case one of you turns out to be fabulously wealthy and decides to drop a million quid - which would, of course, be amazing, but might leave us scrabbling around a bit come payday grin)

We’re mindful that most of you won’t be able to donate large amounts, of course - but small amounts are extremely welcome! And if you’d like to help out in other ways (we really don’t want anyone to feel bad about not being able to donate), we’d be very grateful for any noise you can make via Facebook, Twitter etc etc: the best place to link to to explain the whole project is here and the hashtag is #MumsnetGiving.

Thanks very much - here’s to raising lots of money for some brilliant causes.

That was quick and easy.

Thanks for doing this.

Great stuff.

smile

Dead skint at the moment - but have had a hunt down the back of the sofa grin.

JustSquirted Mon 02-Jun-14 13:16:21

Good one, MNHQ!

Anyone else finding problems with donating through JustGiving?

Nothing is happening when I click "donate" and I've tried exploring the site for other options.

I got myself a new password and logged in so it''s not for want of trying.

Was hoping to give a little something to Women's Aid and Free Cakes for Kids in celebration of getting my new job - thinking could help others to celebrate a bit too as they take the next steps in their lives smile

FatalCabbage Mon 02-Jun-14 14:13:27

Great stuff.

::rummages down sofa::

bluesky Mon 02-Jun-14 14:45:41

Great idea, have started to spread the word. Fingers crossed for all the charities.

Every bit counts, as was mentioned on the Woolly Hugs page - it costs £2.80 to post out some wool for a lovely volunteer to knit or crochet into a beautiful "Hug".

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 02-Jun-14 15:28:54

This truly is fabulous, we are so grateful, thank you thanks

Iamfrankieheck Mon 02-Jun-14 15:55:08

So so chuffed about this grin Just donated..

This will make a massive difference even just in recognition of PDA.

Thank you Mumsnet thanks

Also,Hi to the other PDA mums, meant to reply on the other thread then never got round to it (you know how it is)

Congratulations to the other charities too smile

tkband3 Mon 02-Jun-14 18:18:52

Have donated smile.

And I was so inspired by hearing about Free Cakes for Kids that I'm in the process of setting up a group in my area with a couple of friends, which we're really excited about.

Galena Mon 02-Jun-14 21:15:12

Done

Thanks MNHQ thanks thanks thanks thanks

ouryve Mon 02-Jun-14 22:52:51

This is the first I've seen of this thread!

And Justgiving is Justnotloading, tonight. Please tell me it's not going, yet. I need to try again, tomorrow.

Upandatem Mon 02-Jun-14 22:54:59

I couldn't get justgiving to load all day, seems ok on a mobile device though. Also shouldn't this be stickied in Active Convos?

Fantastic news to see PDA Society shortlisted, thanks so much, really appreciate it.

Upandatem Mon 02-Jun-14 22:55:35

Hang on, this has been here all week? First I've seen of it.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 03-Jun-14 00:53:12

Me too, needs a sticky smile

CateBlanket Tue 03-Jun-14 06:47:43

You really need to sticky this all over the forum!

Marking place so I don't forget to come back and donate when I have 2 seconds.

Bobtailstrikesagain Tue 03-Jun-14 09:54:38

I've only just seen this. Make it more prominent please! Great choice of charities.

I was able to donate (a very little something) to Women's Aid this morning, but still having difficulty with the Free Cakes For Kids donation I was hoping to make.
Still, pleased to have been able to join in.

Hope this week goes well for all 5 charities and for our first MN charities week as it's such a lovely idea smile

KateHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 11:40:50

Hi everyone,

We've noticed a few of you have had some issues with donating, thanks so much for alerting us to this. Here are some tips from JustGiving which may help:

-Check your browser settings. If the browser you are using disables external cookies, this may prevent JustGiving from communicating with your bank and authorising the donation

-Clear your cache or cookies

-Check the security settings on your computer, particularly if you're donating from a work computer, the security package may be preventing JustGiving from processing the donation

If this doesn’t work, please do give JustGiving’s help desk a ring – they’ll be able to walk you through the process and help you pledge, tackling any problems as and when they occur. Their telephone number is 0845 078 2063 (option 1) and they’re in the office between 9am – 6pm on weekdays, and until 5pm on weekends.

Thanks again all for the lovely donations!
thanks thanks thanks

Upandatem Tue 03-Jun-14 14:07:21

I got in fine today.

Upandatem Tue 03-Jun-14 14:09:06

But it's not stickied again in Active Convos, FYI.

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 14:12:37

Hi All

It is stickied in active, it's just that we have a new system that rotates the stickies <fancy>, so it won't always be at the top. But it's there. Promise. Do share away though!

Can I ask why there isn't an option to Gift Aid my donation? I realise that my pledge will be matched by yourselves, but I can usually include gift aid on just giving.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 03-Jun-14 18:44:23

That's odd Glaikit. Mine came up with GiftAid automatically. Did you previously use Just Giving while you weren't earning perhaps, and so it saved your settings?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now