Are you ever going to do anything about trolls?

(336 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MaRyzerection Mon 21-Apr-14 00:46:14

Because it's really got fucking ridiculous.

You need to change your stance from "we have to prove it's trolling before we delete" to "we have to use common sense and realise this is ridiculous before we delete".

The site is becoming a parody of itself.

I'm getting to the stage that I no longer believe my own posts confused

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 23-Apr-14 12:58:48

I'd add any posts about pooing/peeing your pants in a public place. As soon as I see one of those I do think obvious poo troll.

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Wed 23-Apr-14 13:35:49

Saskia

you should read the "I pooed on my skirt" thread, in Classics though.
It's hilarious.

I'll see if I can link it later.
and PuddleDuck's "AIBU to lick my boss?"
she actually was a troll, but a funny one and those I don't mind.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 23-Apr-14 15:42:02

I saw the 'I want to lick my boss' thread, it was funny smile I don't mind those kind of trolls either. They're more like stand up comedy than actual harmful perverts or griefers.

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 19:15:56

Was that the fake autocorrect poster? She was funny <childish>

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Apr-14 10:29:17

Hello

We did think about having a 'report as urgent' option. It ran into the ground a bit because there are so many scenarios that individual posters will regard as urgent (there are many, MANY different definitions of 'horribly offensive' for eg) and we thought it might not really help us see the wood for the trees.

Tbh really astoundingly beyond-the-pale stuff tends to get reported multiple times in a short space of time, so we can usually see by looking through our inbox that something has raised a lot of people's hackles.

'Report this thread' (as opposed to 'report this post') wouldn't really add anything useful we think - we read whatever it is you've put in the comments box, and loads of people just say 'this whole thread needs looking at'.

Top tip: lots of reports of the OP, though, would make it easier for us to see that a particular thread is a problem; when reports come through, the subject line contains the first few words of the post being reported. So lots of subject lines containing the same few words is how we see that something's kicking off in a particularly grand fashion.

Good to know, thanks Rowan.

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Thu 24-Apr-14 10:38:24

Thanks Rowan

Why not add a "Report OP" radio button to the spam/notspam options that are currently there, and then default in the OP details so it shows up on your list of reports with the same descriptor?

mistlethrush Thu 24-Apr-14 14:52:05

Rowan - whilst I understand that, if you look through your inbox you might pick up on a situation where there have been quite a number of 'reports' on a thread, is there any way of making this appear like a sticky at the top of your inbox - or a notification or something - so that the first thing that whoever is checking the inbox is faced with is 'there have been 149 reports on this thread' - rather than, perhaps, there being a scattered 20 reports on the OP, and a further 129 scattered throughout the thread on various other posts, potentially by the OP too - which would be much more timeconsuming to pick up perhaps? Some sort of database input somewhere? (Not in IT so might be silly idea)

SunshineBossaNova Thu 24-Apr-14 14:56:27

Thanks Rowan, I'll try and remember that.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Apr-14 16:33:24

Good thoughts MrsCakes and mistlethrush, we'll see if there's a way of doing either of those

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now