Due to a security breach we are resetting all passwords across Mumsnet

(730 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 12-Apr-14 17:32:34

Following the recent security breach related to Heartbleed we are reseting the passwords of all users.

On Saturday 12 April, we will remove all passwords from our system and to use the site, you'll need to reset your password by clicking on the password reset link.

Type in your email address and click the 'Request reset' button and you will receive a mail to your Mumsnet registered email account. (You will need to click on the link in the mail within 30 minutes of receiving it, without changing the device you're using i.e swapping from phone to laptop, or you'll need to request a further reset).

If you do not receive a mail, please check you spam folder. The password reset mail will come to the email you used when you first registered with Mumsnet.

If you don't receive or can't access your reset mail, please contactus@mumsnet.com for help.

We are very sorry for all the fuss. We want to assure you that we followed all the published steps to protect members' security as soon as we became aware of the heartbleed security risk, but it seems that the breach occurred prior to that risk becoming known.

Most importantly, if you use the same password here as elsewhere, we strongly recommend you change your password on the other sites too.

Thanks,

Justine & the MNHQ team

maloofysmum Mon 21-Apr-14 20:29:28

Thanks Bad Kitten I'll do that. I haven't had any today, might change my password again today just in case.

comingintomyown Wed 23-Apr-14 17:51:57

Bit of a palaver because the email I registered with is now defunct but thanks to MNHQ for persevering to get me a password reset so I kept my old nickname which has seen me through a lot !

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Apr-14 10:37:06

Hello

Great to see we've helped haul some of you back into the liferaft; apologies to those who are still struggling.

It's still best to sort individual difficulties by mailing us at contactus@mumsnet.com. Our mail backlog, while still bigger than we'd like it to be, is reducing now and hopefully we'll be able to work with those of you who have thornier problems for whatever reason.

We can't merge accounts, but hopefully with a bit of elbow grease we can help people get back into their old ones.

AdoraBell Mon 28-Apr-14 20:00:39

Don't know if anyone has had this, but when I logged in yesterday I got a page asking for my email, NN, and password.

I closed that down an started again which gave me the normal log in page.

SnotandBothered Mon 28-Apr-14 20:56:36

Hello

Have scanned the thread and don't think this has been answered but I may have missed it. If so, sorry!

I have another user name that I only wheel out for a particular topic/sensitive subject that I don't want to ever be outed on. For additional security, I don't log into that user name from my usual laptop.

I wasn't able to click the link that was sent out on that particular user account in time, and so when I tried to log on using that moniker, I wasn't able to as presumably the password has been 'wiped'.

Does this mean I can never have this user name again? There is only one thread that I have started/contributed to, but it is long running and I have had great support so I would like to be able to update/ask questions as the 'OP' if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now