Oi! Mumsnet!

(14 Posts)
MojitoMomonga Sun 09-Mar-14 21:53:09

It must be the pedant or the aspergers in me, but Spring has not officially sprung as it starts on the vernal equinox which is March 20th/21st depending on the time of day it occurs.
Just saying.... smile

cozietoesie Sun 09-Mar-14 23:04:04

Well up here, we have daffodils coming through and - irritatingly - blackbirds strutting their stuff at unholy hours of the morning. It may not be the 20th/21st but nobody has told them!

grin

MojitoMomonga Mon 10-Mar-14 06:35:05

It's up here as well, lovely spring flowers and lots of buds and nesting birds.

NymodigFruOla Mon 10-Mar-14 07:46:47

Have I missed something? Has MNHQ done something to the site which is related to the first day of Spring? confused

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Mar-14 08:53:16

What did we do? Did we sprung our spring prematurely blush ?

MojitoMomonga Mon 10-Mar-14 12:29:32

You did, on the front page saying that spring is officially here smile

--Pedant!

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Mon 10-Mar-14 12:31:35

On 28 Feb a BBC weather forecaster said that spring began "tomorrow".

I don't know whether to be hmm or shock

BeverleyMoss Mon 10-Mar-14 12:39:28

It IS officially spring, I got three new freckles yesterday, that's good enough for me.

MojitoMomonga Mon 10-Mar-14 12:44:14

Spring starts on the vernal equinox smile The Met Office say it is the 1st March and summer is the 1st June, then 1st September is Autumn, 1st December is winter but if you go with when the days are the same length - March 20th/21st, September 20th/21st etc and the planets equinoxes then it is those days that mark the start of the seasons.
The Met Office do it for convenience but the planet has it's own way of doing it, the tides are different on the equinoxes as well - it's when you get the highest tidal bores.

--anorak!

NymodigFruOla Mon 10-Mar-14 16:16:42

Oh, I think I see what you mean Mjoito www.mumsnet.com/; however, it does say that the sun has finally come out. Unless you've seen something different?

YoniMatopoeia Mon 10-Mar-14 16:23:33

But, but, summer doesn't Start on the longest day does it? The solstice is mid summer, so why would the other seasons start on the equinox?

MojitoMomonga Mon 10-Mar-14 17:23:56

They changed the front page smile
Summer solstice is the 21st June, then 3 months before is the start of spring, 3 months later is the start of autumn. Give or take a short time, they can be the 20th/21st of the month.

Spring and Autumn start on the equinoxes, there are only two a year and it is when the Earth's axis is neither away from or towards the sun. It's when the day and night are approximately equal length. It's the time when the center of the Sun is exactly overhead the Equator and marks it moving from one hemisphere to another- it moves north in March and south in September.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 10-Mar-14 17:28:00

You made MN change their front page? Wow!!!
grin

MojitoMomonga Mon 10-Mar-14 17:28:46

It was probably a coincidence smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now