Can we have an Urgent flag when reporting?

(39 Posts)
HauntedNoddyCar Thu 23-Jan-14 13:52:01

The horrible posts on the miscarriage thread today were beyond the pale. They were on an active thread for 40 minutes despite prompt reporting.

Fair enough that MNHQ may not have realised the urgency until the flood of reports started. But there are occasionally these situations where an obvious and offensive troll needs dealing with immediately. And unless a slew of reports alert you, there's no way to jump the queue.

Could we revisit the idea of a flag to check for urgent reporting? Not for probable troll or a regular poster forgetting the guidelines, but for things like this.

Hopasholic Fri 24-Jan-14 08:52:30

I think it would be a good idea too. Maybe a red/amber/green approach
Red -urgent. For the scenario above (I think we need this for when an OP has inadvertently given away their location on a DV thread which I've seen a couple of times)
Amber- broken talk guidelines
Green -spam.

The red would need a 'To be used in urgent cases only' and I think 99% of posters would have the gist of when this was appropriate.

How do the reports look when they come through? If it is urgent, would the word URGENT at the beginning of the report make it easier for you to define?

Last night an OP gave way too much information location wise while her ex was reading the thread. Or that is at least how it looked.

smile

MarjoryStewartBaxter Thu 23-Jan-14 20:52:16

Chipping mentioned voulnteer mods: having a couple of people per topic with the power to delete threads would hopefully make this process go quicker. It may cause a few squabbles if said power is absused, but I think that's bearable if it means vile posts can be removed quickly.

noits I'm so sorry for your loss. You have given a masterclass in how to deal with trolls today and you are, in fact, freakin' awesome.

ZingSweetApple Thu 23-Jan-14 20:29:57

I support your idea op

sometimes quick is not quick enough.

didn't read the thread - had a MC myself,so probably best I didn't read it.

ChalkHillBlue Thu 23-Jan-14 20:28:17

How about a urgent alert triggered if above a certain number of people report the thread?

No haunted its fine!
Glad someone said something.

Its lovely that so many people have given support and stood up for me!

HauntedNoddyCar Thu 23-Jan-14 19:36:47

Noits I need to apologise actually. I sort of ran with this without asking you first and it was your thread and a very personal problem which became a site thing. I hope I haven't caused any offence.

Vatta Thu 23-Jan-14 19:28:04

noits, I'm glad the comments didn't get to you.

I agree though that for somebody else those comments might have made a horrible situation even worse, and mnhq need to find some way to protect people.

I'm sorry for your loss.

It was my post.
I haven't let the comments get to me, I didn't take them seriously, just ignored them. I know they were aimed at me and my lost baby, but I didn't take them seriously or give the trolls the attention they crave.

But obviously the comments were unacceptable and another person may not react the same as me.

Is there not a way of having trigger words in certain topics which would flag up automatically? Or I agree with the emergency button idea.

Vatta Thu 23-Jan-14 14:54:41

I don't think it would be misused tbh. We're all pretty clear that reporting a post as spam is not urgent, reporting somebody for breaking talk guidelines is not urgent, but reporting somebody for posting vile hurtful things that an op in a very vulnerable state is about to read is urgent.

Mumsnetters are (mainly!) responsible sensible adults, we're not going to piss about reporting every single post we don't like as urgent.

All we're asking for is an option to report as urgent, then somebody in mnhq to get a popup/email asking them to look at that one now, ie ahead of the queue of the normal spam reports.

Personally I joined the board when I started ttc, and have found it invaluable for support after 2 miscarriages. I talk about VERY personal things on here - things I don't even say it my DH.

Given how high profile the site is, we're obviously being targeted by some sick trolls, and we need MNHQ to step up and protect us better. TBH if this kind of problem carries on, with vile hurtful posts being left up for hours despite reporting, then I'm going to flounce off and find somewhere else.

ChippingInWadesIn Thu 23-Jan-14 14:40:06

I think that's what the newly appointed volunteer mods will be able to do, apparently you and I aren't to be trusted though are in the wrong time zone.

TheDoctorSandshoesAndGrandad Thu 23-Jan-14 14:39:07

As someone has stated on the other thread, there have been issues like this previously.

For example, there were a spate of evening trolling attacks where one poster went from thread to thread posting some of the most awful things I've ever read on MN onto a number of sensitive threads (last year, year before?).

As it happened at night, in spite of the many reports that a number of us tried to make, they were still standing in the morning.

As a result there were a number of OPs who had the misfortune to log on and read the replies (including one where they'd posted for help in the childrens' health topic and been given a horrible reply that must have scared the life out of the OP).

These type of trolls seems to be (thankfully) few and far between, but I think it would be prudent to consider a way of escalating reports for when they do appear.

ChippingInWadesIn Thu 23-Jan-14 14:38:32

stealth - I understand what you are saying, but I think there are ways around it. Ways of making sure people understand it's function before they hit the Urgent button.

Also I love your idea of us being able to ban posts ourselves and I think it could actually work, but I also think it would cause MN a fair amount of work.

ChippingInWadesIn Thu 23-Jan-14 14:35:35

Kate - I think it would be relatively easy to do at your end. Post a note that flags up when that radio button is used saying something like 'Are you very sure that this report warrants the use of the Urgent button, please check with the criteria if unsure. Misuse of this function will result in you being banned'.

I dont know. I imagine it will get used to delete those trolls who come on every now and then, yiung and pregnant with twins/triplets. Which they lose. And have a million other complications in their lives usually involving mners meeting them or sending money. Vile and harmful but not the same as the sort of thing we are discussing.

HaroldLloyd Thu 23-Jan-14 14:26:32

I agree, I think whilst people's perceptions may differ slightly on things the vile trolling is quite obvious and can be agreed on.

If urgent is misused and it's obvious a warning could be given?

I didn't see the posts but sounds really upsetting and especially in a topic where people have quite enough to deal with already.

I would be interested as to why it took so long to zap, it appears that it was reported many times in a very small time frame, does that not flag up at HQ?

Also good mothra

AuntieStella Thu 23-Jan-14 14:23:53

Rather than introducing a whole new function for us, is there something that could be done behind the scenes for you that starts a klaxon in MNHQ when a thread is reported multiple times in a shortish amount of time?

Ooh yes even better
so yiu get the "emergency" button but if you misuse its taken away and you go back tk bog standard

MothratheMighty Thu 23-Jan-14 14:22:59

Copied my post, I was on the wrong thread.
'Perhaps the flag could be linked to specific, sensitive boards, so that if a post is reported on Miscarriage, Bereavement, Mental Health etc then it shows up as needing urgent attention.'

Well give the power to (say) me. Im always here smile to be used in absolute extreme emergencies only. If I use it to delete someone who is goading me about breastfeeding, ban me.

HauntedNoddyCar Thu 23-Jan-14 14:22:10

It would be possible to grant or revoke a klaxon reporting function in the same way though, SPB

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:21:26

Hi all - we've posted on the other thread, but we'll post here too.

Thanks for raising this with us - we completely agree those posts were beyond the pale and understand why people were upset.

We can see the logic behind the flagging idea, but our worry is that the definition of urgent will vary a lot between posters, and the majority of reports will end up being flagged as urgent, making it's function slightly defunct.

Please do keep your posts coming, we're interested to hear what you think.

That's a good idea stealth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now