Can you automatically pull threads that get reported a certain number of times?

(35 Posts)
BeanoNoir Sat 11-Jan-14 20:14:48

This isn't my idea, I've heard it suggested before, but it seems a good one to me.

If x number of people report a thread, it automatically disappears until it is reviewed by mnhq.

I think this is much needed at the moment.

I'm sure there are probably cons to this idea, I'd be interested to hear what others think and any other suggestions?

stargirl1701 Sat 11-Jan-14 20:16:10

Agreed.

Avalon Sat 11-Jan-14 20:16:22

Excellent idea.

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 11-Jan-14 20:16:37

ATM they don't, its obvious to any overnight regulars. I think it would be a good idea though.

AuntieStella Sat 11-Jan-14 20:21:30

Deletions should be faster.

If they can't be, a 'lock until review' might be a good step.

The only 'con' is if a group of posters co-ordinate an attack on a thread. No idea if this is likely, though have seen mention of similar marshalling in the past.

BOFalicious Sat 11-Jan-14 20:24:07

An automatic lock would be good.

That said, if people just reported without posting and did this new thing I've heard about called 'not feeding the troll', then they would slip down active convos and shuffle home without the attention they were looking for.

LadyIsabellasHollyWreath Sat 11-Jan-14 20:25:30

Brilliant idea. There's been a few bloody obvious trolls recently who've taken ages to be shut down. I think it's a plan with no real flaws.

Donki Sat 11-Jan-14 20:26:01

Agreed BOF.

LurkingNineToFive Sat 11-Jan-14 20:26:03

Here here

LurkingNineToFive Sat 11-Jan-14 20:26:18

Or is it hear hear

clara26 Sat 11-Jan-14 20:26:19

Great idea

Janorisa Sat 11-Jan-14 20:28:18

Great idea. Some of these threads have been going on for far too long...

Meglet Sat 11-Jan-14 20:28:39

I was wondering this just now. I hit report 30 mins ago for a couple of threads, I wasn't the only one.

BOFalicious Sat 11-Jan-14 20:53:02

It's 'hear hear'- ie hear what this person has to say. That's how I remember it.

Amrapaali Sat 11-Jan-14 20:56:58

The racist thread is still going on. And people are engaging with the troll. Such a waste of your energy.

BOFtastic Sat 11-Jan-14 21:01:37

Really? How disgusting. Come on MNHQ!

That's a good idea, I was shocke how long an Anti-Semetic thread was up for, I reported it about half an hour before it was pulled.

RandallFloyd Sat 11-Jan-14 21:05:10

I think they're reluctant to do it because it would leave an opening for a type of 'mob rule' so to speak. Or at least leave them open to accusations of that. Plus all the 'those bullying bitches all got together to report me' nonsense that would happen.

I can see the appeal but I just don't think it's workable.

BOFtastic Sat 11-Jan-14 21:08:19

Hi Randall, long time no see [see]

The thing is, if we followed the age old guidelines and reported and IGNORED, the problem would solve itself. You still get lots of perfectly sensible MNers claiming that they never report though, as if it's a badge of honour, whereas it's actually essential to the running of a non-premoderated site. I don't understand it.

BOFtastic Sat 11-Jan-14 21:08:55

See? I'm definitely getting tipsy. Or just old. I meant grin.

BeanoNoir Sat 11-Jan-14 21:11:12

But if it was 'those bullying bitches all got together to report me' then mnhq could have a look at the thread and reinstate it. It would not be offline forever, mnhq should still be seeking to look at and make a decision on these threads asap.

BeanoNoir Sat 11-Jan-14 21:13:48

I will try and report without commenting from now on.

It's hard though because I look at tio to see if the thread has been pulled yet or not. Or I talk with other mners who have also reported about the thread.

I suppose I should just wait for email confirmation and try and sit on my hands.

RandallFloyd Sat 11-Jan-14 21:14:30

Hi BoF. [see] to you too!

I've been on a self-imposed MN sabbatical and it seems I've missed rather a shit storm. I have absolutely no clue what is going on.

KristinaM Sat 11-Jan-14 21:19:04

What BOF said,

About reporting and ignoring I mean

Not when she was being pedantic wink

BOFtastic Sat 11-Jan-14 21:21:15

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now