Is this really what MNHQ want for the site?

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BonesAndSkully Sat 11-Jan-14 11:33:43

First there was the yoni man

then there was penisbeaker

then the site was shut down

then sheffieldperv was actually left up long enough for MNHQ to actually promote/advertise it so the DM could get hold of it and print a story about it.

Now we've got more pervs coming on here to sell themselves?

Seriously?

I'm seriously beginning to dislike what this site is turning into, because it sure as hell isn't for its members any more.

sebsmummy1 Sat 11-Jan-14 11:36:09

It's a business, sex and controversy sells. Anything that makes this place more marketable and profitable the owners are going to encourage. It is not your personal playground I'm afraid.

If people don't like the site there are many more to chose from fortunately.

BonesAndSkully Sat 11-Jan-14 11:37:53

bingo response.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 11-Jan-14 11:46:11

It's utter shite at the moment Bones, where has the real wit and irony and intelligent humour that I used to love gone?
Yes Sebsmummy, there's plenty of sites to go on to discuss sex, that was why I chose MN because though there's always been some sex and controversy here, it was never the reason for the site.
Many of us preferred it that way.
MN are openly putting out trolls on facebook yet we got shut down on NYE for many regulars using satire as humour.

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 11-Jan-14 11:50:20

There do seem to be loads more twats with keyboards on here than ever before, are they being encouraged on by the lurid stuff that's getting into the media?

Also my mother reads the DM, she's going to start giving me weird looks soon as she knows I spend half my life regularly visit and post here.

SamInSouthWales Sat 11-Jan-14 11:51:11

Mumsnet is so huge that I just ignore the bits I don't like and still have enough leftover to enjoy. As long as their are wedding AIBUs for me to wade into, I'm happy. It's kind of a hobby.

BonesAndSkully Sat 11-Jan-14 11:51:53

I usually only hang around on Chat/AIBU with the occasional foray into other places that pique my interest on active.. quite frankly, my TIO is getting smaller and smaller because its currently a troll fest or a load of PO bullshit.

I'm really annoyed that MNHQ feel its ok to promote trolls on their FB/Twitter but when its own members have a bit of fun on NYE they shut the site down.

"by members for members?" Nope, not any more, MNHQ need to change the tag line to "By Trolls for Pervs"

BonesAndSkully Sat 11-Jan-14 11:52:46

(and i know its parents, but we seem to be becoming a minority of late)

risingsunshine Sat 11-Jan-14 11:54:10

Agree with you totally Bones.

KareKare Sat 11-Jan-14 11:54:18

Sorry but, 'by trolls for pervs' made me laugh grin

I agree with you though, OP.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 11-Jan-14 11:58:30

It's like the whole NY thing didn't happen but it's definitely noticeable that people are not starting funny threads anymore as they think they'll get deleted.
Which leaves us with the joys of the pervs and squirty women each trying to outdo each other trying to look cool.
I wonder if we're still allowed to mention goats on benefit threads, joke about PFBs and P&C parking places or is that not allowed any more?

LedareAnsley Sat 11-Jan-14 12:01:09

Completely agree.

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Sat 11-Jan-14 12:07:45

Since penis beaker I've noticed that actual parents are thin on the ground... Which is a bit weird as that was the unifying factor and where alot if the good advice and support came from. Not saying Im against non parents or anything - that would be silly! But it means I have to approach every thread and poster differently now, it's like being on a more general site - not what I came to mumsnet for.

TakeYourPick Sat 11-Jan-14 12:11:15

As soon as I saw HQ were promoting that thread I knew there'd be another influx. The cynic in me even wondered if HQ was starting these threads.hmm
The wittiest threads by far these days imo are the tv addicts threads.

risingsunshine Sat 11-Jan-14 12:12:49

Agree with you too Double Life

Rooners Sat 11-Jan-14 12:14:31

I think it's got too big.

Rooners Sat 11-Jan-14 12:14:44

and even that sounds rude now. Sorry!

Whiskwarrior Sat 11-Jan-14 12:20:30

So, let's get this straight then HQ.

Trolls = good
Regulars starting joke threads = not good for the site.

What the actual fuck?

I wonder how long this thread will stand before a) the PO jump on and start banging on about 'MN Royalty' and/or b) it gets deleted for 'not being in the spirit of MN' hmm

But apparently trolls starting wank fodder threads on offering their services as a 'bit on the side' are now publicity material???

Rooners Sat 11-Jan-14 12:26:18

I think there comes a point where it is too much - we're getting attention in floods, but it isn't the sort of attention the site benefits from.

To that end I think the powers that be at HQ need to stop promoting the sex related bollocks and make a stand.

Coconutty Sat 11-Jan-14 12:28:26

I totally agree bones, frankly it's rather disappointing.

I think it's a shame that troll threads are the ones that get the MNHQ publicity on Twitter/ FB.

Not a great message to send, is it? Come here and talk dirty and we will get you in the Daily Fail.

sebsmummy1 Sat 11-Jan-14 12:48:23

I've been on a fair few large sites (Handbag anyone?) and they seem to have their hay day. There are crazy busy, lots of regulars, posters feel like it's their 'home', they feel they contribute to the site and have helped fuel it's popularity, and then things start to change.

The moderators become a little more strict, threads disappear, popular people get banned, there are campaigns to get popular posters reinstated. People leave flounce, start their own boards, lots of people leave and join these new forums but still lurk on the old ones and report back how crap it's got. The old site is either regenerated by new people or else dies off. I've seen the cycle around three times now on large sites.

Things generally change in time.

risingsunshine Sat 11-Jan-14 13:00:22

I remember being on the advertising team trying to come up with the name for handbag.com..... Gosh I feel old now!

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jan-14 13:03:14

Now we've got more pervs coming on here to sell themselves?

I've not seen any bar the Sheffield guy. [shrug] I must hang out in the wrong places.

Rooners Sat 11-Jan-14 13:06:56

Yes there was another from Cornwall. I missed it - thankfully.

I don't post on half of the funny/contraversial threads I want to anymore because so many MNetters have ended up being quoted in the fail (and one had her name and job printed!)

I've been on here a few years now and MN is my only escape at times but it is so in the public eye these days and not for the reasons it used to be.

This thread is not accepting new messages.