Updating the guidelines

(30 Posts)
Maryz Thu 02-Jan-14 21:39:22

I wonder would you consider putting something specific in the Talk Guidelines to cover the fact that we post (generally) anonymously and that outing someone, or linking their real life identity with their mumsnet name is against the rules.

It may be there, but I can't find it.

Sorry to post this as a separate thread, but it may be missed in the JH palaver.

Thanks.

DazzleII Fri 03-Jan-14 11:17:08

Ooooooooh, tricky...

I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that I don't have to do your job, Rowan. And belated thanks to Julie.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jan-14 11:49:45

It does make sense but a guideline which states it's not OK to out someone is still valid. The MNHQer doing any deleting/wrist slapping would be exercising their own judgement as usual. So something like Revealing a posters real name or a previous user name is not allowed. We reserve the right to delete such posts or take further action as necessary in order to protect a poser's anonymity

A poster outed themselves on a thread only recently, another thread was started a bit later asking where that poster was. IIRC, the OP was pointed towards doing an advanced search for the posting name which would have brought up the "outing thread". This kind of thing would clearly not violate any guidelines.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jan-14 12:06:26

Sure - we're not arguing on the principle SoupDragon, just trying to make sure we word it in the right way so that we can use our discretion.

Thanks DazzleII, we'll pass those on to Julie!

SilverApples Fri 03-Jan-14 12:16:44

As a serial name-changer, I've done that Rowan.
If I didn't want people to make that connection:

'PosterA to PosterB on Thread C: 'Do I know you?'
PosterB: 'yes I'll PM you'
PosterA 'Ah right'

Then I'd make it clear in my PM that I didn't want my old name linked to my new one.

BoffinMum Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:05

Ultimately dialogue between MNHQ and users is the way forward. From time to time people realise they have overshared or inadvertently outed themselves, and the ability to have some control in reigning it in again is an important aspect of using and trusting the site. Similarly if they end up being outed and express dismay, then when MNHQ helps them out this gives other users confidence in the site as well. It has to be a bit flexible. But I agree some rules of engagement at the beginning are important, specifically aimed at short term or occasional users (for that read media and MPs above all else).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now