Why is there a separate section for special needs in Education?

(166 Posts)
depankrispaneven Wed 01-Jan-14 16:07:11

Wouldn't it just be simpler to include something referring people to the more active SN section further down the page? And indeed to put that section immediately underneath the Education section?

CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jan-14 22:54:13

Hi OP, topics headers usually come about from requests from the boards. We take your point though, does anyone else concur?

No. I think it's right Education has a SN topic; that one seems the busiest one. It seems to attract dyslexia and learning difficulties threads; which to me seems the proper place.

Special needs education one seems slower but maybe that's because it (I think) attracts more complex issues surrounding children with educational and other special needs.

Personally I can see a time when I will need both for my 2 DC with SN. DD2 is in mainstream school with some SN 'complications' (once everything has been diagnosed and agreed with) but DS may be in a SN school or in mainstream but with bigger SN issues (PEG tube, Neuro damage and communication issues). If they clump the two together I might be put off posting about DD2.

nennypops Fri 03-Jan-14 20:51:20

I don't think you can have been looking at the main SN thread, Clutching, it's way busier than the one in Education. That's why there's a permanent post in the Education one referring to the SN section for more traffic, and it covers the entire range of SN from mild difficulties to really complex issues.

VworpVworp Fri 03-Jan-14 21:08:26

I think it's necessary- SN would be for parents of children with difficulties of all types, and medical needs etc, SEN is different, and children that are NT can have educational difficulties.

VworpVworp Fri 03-Jan-14 21:09:19

Conversely, some children with SN will never have any educational difficulties.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 03-Jan-14 21:11:43

I agree with VworpVworp.

PolterTurkey Fri 03-Jan-14 21:40:45

Most children with disabilities and additional (special) needs have SENs too. The SEN topic under the Education heading really doesn't get the traffic that SN Children attracts.

RudolphLovesoftplay Fri 03-Jan-14 21:50:43

Hi, can anyone help? On I-phone app and want to go back to non-Christmas nn. However, I can't match what I know is the old user name with my usual reem of passwords. There isn't an option I can see for "forgotten password", what do I do?

RudolphLovesoftplay Fri 03-Jan-14 21:51:29

Sorry, meant to start a new thread...ignore grin

zzzzz Fri 03-Jan-14 21:52:00

Well to blunt I think it's because people don't want to consider that a SEN is a SN. They like to think that an educational disability is not the same as any other disability. It keeps "the disabled" nice and seperate from "the normal". If I had the energy I would find it utterly offensive, but I have bigger fish to fry.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 03-Jan-14 22:15:33

Right at this moment zzzzz I need a like button!

JaquelineHyde Fri 03-Jan-14 22:22:00

I think Vworp vworp is spot on actually.

PolterTurkey Fri 03-Jan-14 22:23:35

Well said zzzzz

I've said it elsewhere but SENs are SNs

I do wonder sometimes what people think the term 'special needs' actually means.

zzzzz Fri 03-Jan-14 22:40:25

VworpVworp Fri 03-Jan-14 21:08:26
"I think it's necessary- SN would be for parents of children with difficulties of all types, and medical needs etc, SEN is different, and children that are NT can have educational difficulties."

I don't understand the distinction you are trying to make. [boggle]

VworpVworp Sat 04-Jan-14 00:23:28

zzzzzz- I have a child with SN, she has no SEN whatsoever- top of her year in fact. My DH (no SN) has SEN- he has dyslexia and couldn't read until he was 9yo. That is the distinction I'm trying to make. I may have it all wrong, of course! grin

zzzzz Sat 04-Jan-14 00:40:45

I think we probably just think about the term SN differently.

For example I can't see how you can have SEN without having SN. So I would say someone with dyslexia did have SN (though I prefer plain old disabled).

Ie SEN is a subset of SN

VworpVworp Sat 04-Jan-14 00:48:29

Well some people consider epilepsy a disability, but my friend with epilepsy does not, I suppose everyone has their own view on it.

StarlightMcKingsThree Sat 04-Jan-14 00:52:45

Lots of children with SEN are top of their years. SEN doesn't mean not academic any more than dyslexia does.

PolterTurkey Sat 04-Jan-14 09:11:04

Vworp I wonder if you could define SEN as you see it?

For me, SEN includes not just learning and intellectual disabilities/difficulties but also anything that impacts on a child's ability to learn. So, my ds has a primary dx of an ASD, significant difficulties with many aspects of school, but academically performing top of class. He still has SENs.

zzzzz Sat 04-Jan-14 11:31:43

Why doesn't she consider epilepsy a disability?

All disability means is that you don't function on an even playing field without accomodation. Would your friend cope without medication?

"I'm sure everyone has their own view on it" seems to imply that people are making a choice. I would suggest that people are just effected by their disability to a greater or lesser degree.

I am bothered by the underlying idea that people should "pass as normal" if at all possible. While we maintain this attitude there can be no true inclusion for our children with disabilities.

colditz Sat 04-Jan-14 11:35:20

Zzzzzzzzz my son has asthma but he doesn't have special needs. It's just asthma. It's treatable, as is epilepsy in most cases. You can't just decide someone has special needs, and declare that they are wrong to think otherwise.

zzzzz Sat 04-Jan-14 11:40:25

colditz your son has a condition that is controlled by medication. How is that different to a child using any other support to overcome their disability?

Can I also ask why having SN would be so negetive?

zzzzz Sat 04-Jan-14 11:41:04

Sorry "negative".

StripyPenguin Sat 04-Jan-14 11:46:22

Vworp some would say that being top of the year did indicate SEN - it's an educational need and if somebody is very intelligent then they have additional educational needs. SEN isn't just at the lower end of the scale, though many perceive it to be that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now