Clarification please

(767 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 05-Dec-13 16:25:28

So I come back to find that you have deleted my thread asking why my Santa thread was deleted.

Of course it was a thread about a thread, it was asking a question about the thread.

Wtf else is one supposed to do?

I put it in site stuff.

It was also a really nice friendly thread full of poetry and laughs. Why why why why was it deleted? What the hell is going on there?

Secondly, if one wants to talk about something, and that something has been deleted purely owing to others mischief, does that mean that one is never to talk about that subject again??

How mad is that?

I don't think anybody has a problem with 'innocent' NCing, have they?
I totally understand where the privacy/searchability problem might come from (and sometimes I worry about that, because I don't NC).
happytalk, NCing as such is not cowardly, but NCing to have a go or stir and goad, and then NC again, in effect running away cackling, is.

BIWI Sun 08-Dec-13 08:44:21

Name-changing to have a go at somebody is only seen by MNHQ if it's reported though, Dazzle. They don't read the threads unless pointed at them by posters - they couldn't as there are simply too many of them.

happytalk13 Sun 08-Dec-13 08:53:19

Unfortunately, Pacific, I have seen people (some that are regular posters) flat out say that NC is cowardly - but perhaps they have just failed to clarify.

I'm grateful MN allows it - I've not come across another forum that does. It goes to show that MNHQ are very aware that a one size never fits all and that often people do have very genuine reasons and that others just want to be anonymous because posting under one name can cause problems just between board members on some occasions.

XmasLogAndHollyOn Sun 08-Dec-13 08:57:16

Namechangers are only cowardly if they do it so they can be nasty to someone, rather than having the balls to use their regular posting name.

I've changed NNs to write personal stuff, because I was stalked by my mother and seasonal changes. I don't care about posters who change regularly not to get tracked.

The ones who do it as easy enough to spot. You just look for someone being a twat to a regular poster, advance search their name and, oh! What a surprise! That's the first time the name has appeared.

Mintyy Sun 08-Dec-13 10:49:41

I'm really surprised to hear that some posters have said name-changing is cowardly?? How odd.

To whoever said that HQ delete posters who nc for malicious reasons, that is not true I'm afraid.

LoveAndDeath Sun 08-Dec-13 11:04:10

Hothead welcome back! ( It's chipmonkey under a cowardly namechange!) wink

ButThereAgain Sun 08-Dec-13 11:12:30

My favourite name change was AmateurArseDoctor, who changed because she was too cowardly to be out and proud under her usual name as someone who performed surgery on her own piles.grin As I recall, she stayed under that name for a long time, though, which meant that ultimately she chose to be known to the world precisely as the woman who triumphed so resourcefully over bottom troubles, which I thought was quite a funny turnaround. I wonder if she is still around.

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 11:21:25

Mintyy, I'd be very surprised if MN didn't ban posters who nc for malicious reasons. I'm sure they'd get a warning, but if they did it a few times, I really do think they would be banned.

(Intrigued about performing surgery on own piles, but daren't ask)

LoveAndDeath Sun 08-Dec-13 11:29:44

My favourite ones are the ones that don't work!grin ( Buppy's itching vagine for example!)

Mintyy Sun 08-Dec-13 11:38:43

I imagine that persistent name changing for malicious reasons might be a bannable offence, but I'm saying that hq don't automatically delete personal attacks made by malicious name changers ... because they aren't aware of them. They don't monitor anyone's namechanging afaik. They only delete those posts if they are reported, its not an automatic thing.

ExcuseTypos Sun 08-Dec-13 11:47:20

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said. No it isn't automatic, but if people think someone has NC to attack them, they should report. It must be horrible to have that happen, but I don't understand why some posters put up with it. Report them and they will get deleted/banned.

HotheadPaisan Sun 08-Dec-13 11:52:33

Hello chip! How are you?

Mintyy Sun 08-Dec-13 22:44:32

Presuambly you will soon be deleting this thread for being deliberately inflammatory, HQ?

Maryz Sun 08-Dec-13 23:02:04

Joy if people who were on Hully's first thread go there, I suppose hmm

Who was on Hully's first thread btw?

Maryz Sun 08-Dec-13 23:13:22

Joy? I meant Only

BIWI Mon 09-Dec-13 21:14:49

Well MNHQ are conspicuous by their absence on this thread, aren't they? hmm

Mintyy Mon 09-Dec-13 21:18:29

Indeed hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now