Mumsnet merchandise - your input needed please

(596 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 12:02:43

Hi all

After years of being asked to come up with MN merchandise and (aside from some incredibly tight t-shirts with virtual mother on them way back in the early-2000s) pretty much sticking our collective fingers in our ears, we've finally found someone who can help us produce and sell a qualiteee online range - hopefully available in time for Christmas. And we're looking for your input.

We reckon a range of T-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies and mugs with Mumsnet in-jokes/ popular phrases - which is what folks have mentioned in the past - but is there anything else we've collectively missed? And what do you want on them? A T-shirt telling all and sundry to LTB? A mug asking whether YABU? A hoody announcing that it' really best to RTFT?

Ideas very much welcome please grin

GoofyIsACow Fri 15-Nov-13 13:00:44

A lady brought her son into my restaurant last night looking for a job, she was wearing a MN scarf... So I gave him one!

GoofyIsACow Fri 15-Nov-13 13:01:07

SHIT... A JOB...I GAVE HIM A JOB blush

VelvetStrider Fri 15-Nov-13 13:01:11

Judgy pants obviously. And a matching bra that looks like this biscuitbiscuit.

And yes, a really tiny pin badge that we can wear like secret society members, and give each other knowing looks when we see them.

I'd buy a Mumsnetter on Board car sticker.

Also something with "did you mean to be so rude?".

Not sure about clothing- maybe a scarf would be ok or a reusable shopping bag with all the mumsnet phrases on.

Oh yes, a shopping bag would look good round Waitrose. wink

'AIBU to save the planet with this reusable bag'.

I would use mine with pride in Iceland.

StuartMN Fri 15-Nov-13 13:05:00

Hello all,

I'm looking after this at MNHQ, so just wanted to answer a couple of questions which have come up so far.

- We're using a print on demand company, so there are limits to the range we can offer. To start with that'll mean t shirts (with fits for men and women), hoodies and mugs, but we can add more once we've proved that these work. We'll also do some kids shirts if people want them.

- We're going to have a fairly large range comprising most of the well known (and appropriate) abbreviations, and you'll be able to choose tee, mug or hoodie for these. Some people will be comfortable with anything on a T shirt, and some won't. We get that, so do bring on the ideas. As the products will be print on demand we can (within reason) give ideas a try. If individual designs don't work so well, it isn't the end of the world.

- The good news is that we'll be paying a commission on every sale (£1 for shirts, 50p for mugs) to the MNer who comes up with the original designs which make it into the store. You don't have to be a designer (although if you are, design away!), you can just describe a concept. A back of fag packet approach is fine, just convey your idea in as much detail as you can. Feel free to send me a message with your ideas if you fear the ridicule heresmile. I'll only laugh if the idea is funny, I promise.

Needless to say, all our clothing will be ethically sound. We're printing in the UK, and we'll also be offering a range of organically approved shirts as well.

Lastly, if my wife happens to be reading this, yes YABU if you put a LTB mug in my stocking for Christmas Day smile.

Stuart

<waves to Stuart>

All sounds great.

Indith Fri 15-Nov-13 13:10:53

I'm not sure I'd buy clothing.

I'd be very tempted by a shopping bag with a shopping list on it though. Stuff like naice ham, and pombears hiding amongst loo roll, onions and stuff. A few crossings out, perhaps a mooncup hidden in the list. Different colour and 2 different writing styles, abbreviations, (for kids) or chocolate (grown up) and stuff. The sort of things we all love speculating about when someone finds a list.

Oh please can we have reusable shopping bags?

"Naice bag"

Goofy grin

Oh yes, how about an OFRS?

DottyDot Fri 15-Nov-13 13:15:33

ooh yes a nice mug (not too thick - one for laydees) with all the smileys on would be fab - would definitely buy one

GoofyIsACow Fri 15-Nov-13 13:17:16

Naice bag... Amazing!

GoofyIsACow Fri 15-Nov-13 13:18:40

I would definitely buy a BFL with something funny on! Shopping list is a great idea, or i like AIBU for saving the planet by using this bag! Indith and Sparkling ^^

NomDeClavier Fri 15-Nov-13 13:21:14

I think there's also market for a nest of vipers graphic on a mug, possibly a t-shirt...

A range of judgy pants.

IamtheZombie Fri 15-Nov-13 13:22:45

May Zombie have an IamtheZombie mug, please? grin

Zombie really likes the idea of a shopping bag.

How about a tee / hoodie with Zombie Rocks? You could use the Zombie thread alert icon on it.

Minceandslicesofquince Fri 15-Nov-13 13:23:39

I like the idea of a planner / organiser / calendar. I'd rather have something useful.

MmeLindor Fri 15-Nov-13 13:23:42

Please please please - no 'yoni' or 'penisbeaker' merchandise.

Baby muslin squares with 'AIBU to [boak]' written on them.

Hipflask with 'Softplay Gin'

Blue badge holder with 'Yes, you ARE being unreasonable, and no, I won't explain why I have this badge' #controversial

Indith Fri 15-Nov-13 13:24:49

"Naice Bag" is great!

MmeLindor Fri 15-Nov-13 13:26:20

I love 'naice bag' and could we have a box for the fridge with 'naice ham' written on it?

youretoastmildred Fri 15-Nov-13 13:28:15

A note book to be used by the phone or in a hand bag, printed (only at one of the margins) with some useful messages that can be wordlessly handed to members of the public, when necessary, with no further comment

"did you mean to be so rude?"
"your balls are not that big. Put your legs together"
"I JUDGE"
"RED FLAG"

etc

YY to no tasteless bumsex/OxoTower/CentreParcs/ Yoni crap. And especially not penisbeaker.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 15-Nov-13 13:33:30

Pleeeeeease can I have a mug with the MN logo on? One like this > brew I know it's not the most original/exciting idea - but I've wanted one, like, forever.

Arohaitis Fri 15-Nov-13 13:33:40

Don't you already have stuff like this?

toffeesponge Fri 15-Nov-13 13:34:54

Something useful like a wall planner or a diary. Not a juvenile t-shirt with RTFT or LTB on it.

I think the MN in-joke I'd be most likely to buy on merchandise would be [bsicuit], just because to anyone not on MN it wouldn't make any sense, but also be less likely to invite questions than an acronym.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now