Do you want to be a Mumsnet Local Editor?

(109 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 16:15:11

If you saw the last recruitment thread, we did well in getting people started& All over the country, Local Editors are beavering away at making your local site a useful hub for parents.

We are still looking for new Local Editors in some locations (see the helpful list at the bottom of the thread!). Read a little about the role below and if you're interested in finding out more please email local@mumsnet.com with 'interested in becoming a Local Editor' in the subject field. It helps if you tell us a bit about yourself in the email.

What's in the Local Editor role? Our current team of brilliant and dedicated Local Editors make sure their site is full of relevant listings, encouraging local Mumsnetters and businesses to post listings and reviews on the site and filling the gaps.

They also oversee Local Ambassadors, who are busy organising meet-ups, as well as encouraging community links locally. What Local Editors can't do is see anyone's private Mumsnet membership details or posting history (sorry, only the Community team are allowed in there).

We don't expect Local Editors to do all this for free; Local Editors get revenue from local advertising and offers.

We know we're not quite there with Local yet, but phase II is coming soon.

Some of the sites are still a bit empty, so take a look around our Manchester & Trafford Haringey or Surrey sites to see what they look like when they are populated with meet-ups, listings, local talk, offers, etc:

Ideally you would have had some experience in a media, advertising sales or organisational role and be able to spell, but bags of enthusiasm and strong community links can go a long way to making a local site a success.

List of sites still needing Local Editors:

Anglesey
Argyll & Bute
Bath
Blackburn
Blackpool
Bradford
Caerphilly & Merthyr Tydfil
Calderdale
Carmarthenshire
Ceredigion
Channel Islands
Conwy & Denbighshire
County Londonderry/Derry
County Antrim
County Armargh
County Down
County Fermanagh
County Tyrone
Coventry
Derby
Dudley
Dumfries & Galloway
Durham
East Ayrshire
Gwynedd
Herefordshire
Highlands & Islands
Ipswich
Isle Of Man
Isle of Wight
Kingston Upon Hull
Lincolnshire
Luton
London: Barnet
London: Barking & Dagenham
London: Brent
London: Bromley
London: Camden
London: Ealing
London: Enfield
London: Harrow
London: Havering
London: Hillingdon
London: Merton
London: Redbridge
London: Sutton
Moray
Munster
Neath Port Talbot & Bridgend
Norfolk
North Ayrshire & Inverclyde
Northampton
Northamptonshire
Nottingham
Oldham & Rochdale
Perth & Kinross
Plymouth
Rhondda Cynon Taff & Vale of Glamorgan
Rotherham
Rutland
Scottish Borders
Slough
South and North Lanarkshire
South Ayrshire
South Yorkshire
Stirling & Clackmannanshire
Stoke On Trent
Sunderland
Swansea
Swindon
Tyneside
Warrington
Wakefield

quoteunquote Thu 17-Oct-13 16:35:13

How do you find out who the editor for your area, mine not up so assume it has gone.

FudgeyCookie Thu 17-Oct-13 16:57:31

My local area doesn't even have an area on local! Closest we have is Exeter lol

RhondaJean Brazil Thu 17-Oct-13 19:09:15

Emma I'm quite interested and my area is still on the list but in all the time I've been on MN I've only found two other people in my area!

RhondaJean Brazil Thu 17-Oct-13 19:10:22

Emma I'm quite interested and my area is still on the list but in all the time I've been on MN I've only found two other people in my area!

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Thu 17-Oct-13 19:21:42

Id there ine for Ireland, if so ill do it!

magimedi Argentina Thu 17-Oct-13 19:48:23

It's such a massive piece of work to get to the local site (let alone the name change).................

quoteunquote Thu 17-Oct-13 20:28:34

you automatically name change when you go to local,

My area not covered, but may be interested if it was.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 21:09:42

quoteunquote

How do you find out who the editor for your area, mine not up so assume it has gone.

You can pm me…

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 21:11:31

FudgeyCookie

My local area doesn't even have an area on local! Closest we have is Exeter lol

There's Devon, Plymouth and Somerset as well as Exeter… Does that help? The only one of those without a Local Editor in place already is Plymouth. Does that help?

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 21:14:03

RhondaJean

There's only one way to get it going, and you know what I'm going to say… grin

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 21:16:47

magimedi

It's such a massive piece of work to get to the local site (let alone the name change).................

It isn't now you can choose a Home site and other favourites. Once you've chosen a Home site, you just click on Find a Local Site in the main site, and you're straight there. One click! Also, you can keep the same name in Local now – we changed the rules wink

RhondaJean Brazil Thu 17-Oct-13 21:54:22

Ok Emma hint taken, I will email over the weekend!

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:01:39

RhondaJean

Ok Emma hint taken, I will email over the weekend!

Fantastic, I will be waiting <sounding slightly sinister there, but it is nearly Halloween> thanks cake

Mine's taken but it's still Dull As Dullsville in a Dullsville Drought.

EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:20:38

BeerTricksPotter

Mine's taken but it's still Dull As Dullsville in a Dullsville Drought.

You're obviously not posting there enough BeerTricks… But seriously, we know we've still got quite a bit of work to do. Whizzbang additions to come, honest.

Oh....fair enough, EmmaMN blush

I did try to get involved, but it still went all flat and boring.

I think there was a bit of a mad rush for the Local Editor positions and then people realised it needed marketing skills etc but rather than relinquish the role they filled it with tanning salons/baby groups/pyramid selling.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 22:38:11

Local editors are given a set list of what to concentrate on listing wise each week BeerTricks, other stuff is in theory listed by companies themself with a bit lot of pushing.

Some of us have marketing experience but its a case of building the boards up before we have anything to market smile

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Thu 17-Oct-13 22:40:06

Irish one emma?

So you're given tanning salons and pyramid selling opportunities, molding? confused

I thought Local would develop according to what the Local members were interested in.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 22:45:55

We were given beauty salons which I reckon someone might have stretched to tanning salon I guess unless the Salon listed themselves.
Definitely not the pyramid scheme can only guess the owner has self listed that!

Say one week we had to list gardening, week after exhibitions, libraries and such.

That's not a knowledge of your local area is it, molding?

That's "You find advertisers for us, pleaseandthanks"

Sorry, that may have have come across as being a bit personal to you and it wasn't meant to.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 22:54:40

No although I think most people actually live in the areas they are editor for so are adding events and activities and such apart from that.

I have recently given up Blackpool because I no longer live there and so do not still have current info on the activities and events and things going on which I think is vital in getting the local boards used because unless you have a local question or you are looking for a local class you will just post on here for the traffic.

I totally agree with you, molding. You have to live in the area and be interested in it, not just on what you can earn from advertising businesses.

I think you have to be a bit invested in your local area too, which I don't get the impression my Local Editors are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now