Newbie posters - could they show as a different colour or have a mark to indicate that they're new?

(15 Posts)
MisForMumNotMaid Tue 08-Oct-13 14:24:28

Thats it really. New posters need a bit of extra help with acronyms, site etiquette and in the case of trolls it'd be nice to realise when somethings a new poster so it can be taken into consideration when replying.

On moneysavingexpert forums they have a 'warning newbie poster, go gentle' tag.

Just a thought

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Oct-13 14:26:16

How many posts would it last? Just their very first post?

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 08-Oct-13 14:28:38

I don't know, maybe ten posts or six weeks from first post.

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Oct-13 14:34:19

Mmmm. I think it's a good idea, but wonder if they would constantly get told off. So if a newbie colour started a thread in AIBU the first few posts would be-'You are brave' etc.

MrsVamos Tue 08-Oct-13 14:34:44

Hmm. Most new posters say that they are new anyway.

I would imagine that if you have lurked before posting you get an idea of site etiquette, and I had no idea of the acronyms here but soon learnt them.

I would also hazard a guess that most posters take as they find when replying to posts, whether by a new poster or not.

People don't generally come here to be 'nannied'.

I think most people know 'we' are not a 'soft touch' forum, yet some of the loveliest people on earth post here. smile

<waves to Sparks>

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Oct-13 14:38:37

Hi MrsV haven't seen you for a while.

MrsVamos Tue 08-Oct-13 14:40:06

It's that RL, Sparks it gets in the way !

How's your moody 14 year old ? grin

Sparklingbrook Tue 08-Oct-13 16:54:07

OMG MrsV he is as bad as ever. grin

wigglesrock Wed 09-Oct-13 07:57:16

Why? Do be honest, I don't agree at all. I don't like marking posters out as new it's along the same lines as threads viewed etc, I think the potential is there to have a two tier MN with established posters & new. It doesn't sit well with me.

Posters should treat what people have written the same no matter how long posters have been here.

How would it work with name changers?

JustBecauseICan Wed 09-Oct-13 07:59:43

That's really going to make them feel welcome.

JustBecauseICan Wed 09-Oct-13 08:00:19

We could get them to do the internet equivalent of ringing a plague bell perhaps? If we click on their posts a little bell could chime?

TEErickOrTEEreat Wed 09-Oct-13 08:01:39

God no. What a dire idea. Newbies get called troll often enough with no reason without giving people proof that they are new.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stravy Wed 09-Oct-13 08:04:58

I don't think I ever would've posted if I was going to be marked out

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-Oct-13 15:02:41

Thanks for suggesting that, we'll bear it in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now