A new Serious Single Issue topic

(1004 Posts)
Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:17:20

I know I'm usually against topics, and I know revising the Topic List is on Tech's very (x1,000) long list of things to do, but is this a runner?

Everyone posts everything in Chat now (and in aibu, but that's another story [shudder]). And lots of op's seem to get very cross when people "chat" on their chat threads.

So how about a sub-topic in chat for people who want to talk seriously about things, don't want jokes and banter and what other people think of as chat, but want to stay on a single topic for the whole thread.

Woudl that work?

Pagwatch Mon 30-Sep-13 12:07:42

I agree Hully.
If people are finding a meandering and chatty tone akin to bullying and deliberate derailment, then setting up and area where that takes place should satisfy them rather than applying a prescriptive tone to all threads in chat.

I expect some of those who are upset about unwelcome and derailment will be along in a moment to express their views. There may be a reason why it would not work but so many of them were so very excercise about the problem they will, I am sure, wish to engage fully in exploring possible solutions.

Good idea.

And I second "Single Issue Debate or Discussion".

I can't see how someone would be bothered by being sent there if they get arsey don't want their thread derailed.

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 12:10:30

I am trying to be part of the solution rather than the problem

it feels kind of weird

THAT IS A JOKE I AM ALL ABOUT SOLUTIONS ME

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 12:14:35

I really do hope we get some of the posters who are upset by derailment on here soon.

It seems a pretty pointless exercise otherwise because there's no point in HQ even considering it unless people would actually want to use it.

Pagwatch Mon 30-Sep-13 12:16:48

They must Randall, surely.

You can't possibly be so upset that you post for three days and three thousand posts without wanting some kind of solution.

What would have been the point otherwise?
Really?

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 12:19:09

Exactly.

Let's hope they will see the thread if we keep bumping it.

DameFanny Mon 30-Sep-13 12:20:03

Maybe there should just be a notice on the start thread page to say "if you want this thread to stay on topic say so in your OP", then people can say "I'm only interested in responses on the topic of Peter Andre's love for his kids" and responders will know to swerve?

AtrociouzCuntz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:23:51

That's actually a very good idea DameF. That might be a compromise.

As long as it was ticked at the beginning of a thread, not half way through, so people would know from the start.

AtrociouzCuntz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:24:10

Oops, sorry, I was messing with name-changing blush

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 12:27:22

One of the upset posters popped up earlier so at least one of them is around

FavoriteThings Mon 30-Sep-13 12:28:55

I think it would solve a lot of the problem.

Dont know how easy it is for tech to do. I think there is just one tech for this sort of thing, and he seems to be about 2 years behind on his work [not kidding].

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 12:30:22

Hey favourite things, glad you think it's a good idea.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:31:24

They do manage to get new topics quickly on occasion though. The history topic appeared overnight as did the bullying one (ironically) and the commonwealth games 2014 was added recently. So it is possible.

FavoriteThings Mon 30-Sep-13 12:34:32

Perhaps they can add, but not take away then! grin

Amrapaali Mon 30-Sep-13 12:35:14

There is a Bullying topic? (off to look)

Amrapaali Mon 30-Sep-13 12:36:53

Ok I'm back. Couldn't find it- but I did see a topic called Ford. And its not tumble weedy there at all grin

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 12:39:51

Do you think it's a good idea Amra?

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 12:40:09

Is there really a bullying topic? Surely not.

I've just realised though that the fact that I'm truly shit at remembering names means I'm not going to have a clue if the posters who dislike derailment do come on here unless they actually announce themselves.

I'm rubbish at this!

Viviennemary Mon 30-Sep-13 12:44:56

I kind of think I see what you mean. I notice that items posted in news hardly get any replies but ones posted in chat get lots even if they are about a news topic. But I don't think my thread my rules would be a good idea.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:45:54

It's here

Under education, for some reason. It's not exactly busy, having filled fewer than nine pages in five years.

I never remember names either.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:47:33

It's the same with telly addicts, vivienne. I get very cross when there is a tv programme thread in telly addicts, and a thread about the same programme in chat and mumsnet towers make the chat thread the DOTD

It infuriates me - how can they expect posters to use the topics if they don't do so themselves?

[rant over]

Amrapaali Mon 30-Sep-13 12:49:23

Not really, Hully. Its not a good idea. This will be one more topic lost among the others, I think.

A heads-up at the beginning of the thread may help. A SID icon. Or Stay the Fuck on Topic, too. That has a nice ring to it.

Sometimes, a thread on a sensitive topic meanders so much, I feel sorry for the OP. Hasn't happened to me personally, because I haven't been that intense on MN. I tend to mainly graze around the fringes.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:51:13

I don't think many "sensitive" threads meander much, though. I do think general interest threads do.

Fenton Mon 30-Sep-13 12:52:24

I think it's a good idea.

A place which absolutely guarantees not to digress from the subject, because if you're not comfortable about derailment then it would be nice to be confident in it not happening.

Personally I think derailment certainly has its place, it's actually very refreshing and very useful if a thread gets too heavy or shouty or depressing.

A bit like bloke types who suddenly change the subject to talking about The Game if they feeling they're getting too emotional.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:52:42

Maybe the answer is to get rid of _Chat altogether.

That's the way it used to be. Serious threads on serious topics, in the correct topic section.

_Chat was the slippery slope. And now we have AIBU which ish Chat on speed with anger issues.

This thread is not accepting new messages.