A new Serious Single Issue topic

(1004 Posts)
Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:17:20

I know I'm usually against topics, and I know revising the Topic List is on Tech's very (x1,000) long list of things to do, but is this a runner?

Everyone posts everything in Chat now (and in aibu, but that's another story [shudder]). And lots of op's seem to get very cross when people "chat" on their chat threads.

So how about a sub-topic in chat for people who want to talk seriously about things, don't want jokes and banter and what other people think of as chat, but want to stay on a single topic for the whole thread.

Woudl that work?

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:18:49

Oops, would rather than woudl.

Obviously people who want serious on-topic discussion should post in the relevant topic, but that simply isn't happening confused

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 11:19:04

That is a fantastic idea. I would definitely leave people to it if it was clear they wanted to stay serious and single-issue.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 11:21:04

Thirded.

Does that make it carried?

It is a very good idea

I think I some people default to _Chat because the topics are so complicated that unless it's a very obviously Becoming Parents: Pregnancy or Education: Primary Education (etc) thread one simply can't decide or even find where to put it.

But you mean a "Talk About Anything, But Stay The Fuck On Topic" place?

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:23:08

I dunno Randall.

It might just depend on whether mnhq like Hully me enough to go with the idea.

I think it could stop a lot of argy. And posters could ask for their threads to be moved if they posted in "fun chat" and wanted to be in "serious chat", perhaps?

Posting most places the thread just gets lost I think.

Trills Mon 30-Sep-13 11:27:53

"Stay the fuck on topic" sounds like a nice idea, but will people actually do it? smile

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 11:28:48

I think a serious chat topic would solve a lot of arguments in fairness.

Not sure what it could be called though. 'Serious chat' sounds rubbish.

'Topical discussions' maybe?

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 11:29:22

I think so Trills, if they were keen enough to start one in that section in the first place.

The more flittery of us could just stay away and not piss them off unintentionally.

ArrowToTheKnee Mon 30-Sep-13 11:30:32

Some of the best threads come from unintentional derailments...

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:31:22

I think that's true giraffes.

The trouble is that those of us who are here a lot, or have been here a long time, or both, tend to think of _Chat as chat - a place to chat.

Whereas newer posters think of it as a topic in which to ask questions and look for advice. So can't understand how people can descend on a thread, discuss the topic and move on (like a conversation in a pub).

They think that chatting is intentionally derailing, where it very rarely is.

Trills, the idea would be that all the chatters could hide the thread stay away if it's clearly labelled "serious".

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 11:31:33

They do. But we wouldn't lose those, because not everyone minds derailments or indeed sees them as such.

This would be for people who don't like it and see it as the B word.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:32:32

Yes, Arrow, you are right. But sadly so do many bunfights, as the op wants to be serious and others just want to talk random shite.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:34:15

I can see one potential problem though. I think few people would use it so it would be tumbleweedy. And then when the "banterers" suggest a thread is moved there, it would instantly die and the op would accuse the "banterers" of deliberately sending it off into the dark midsts of unnoticeableness.

<ponders>

ArrowToTheKnee Mon 30-Sep-13 11:36:20

Fair enough. But really shouldn't they just avoid chat? If they get arsey because people are chatting in chat, then surely they're in the wrong place!

Just tell them to bugger off and use the topics properly.

Pagwatch Mon 30-Sep-13 11:41:12

I think it's a very good idea.
What about 'single issue debate'

If people do post in chat then they can get it moved if the more casual level of responses starts to feel like derailment....to them....

Or 'my thread, my rules' might suit some <innocent face>

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:41:37

That's the problem Arrow.

Everyone posts in chat. They then get upset when people chat, they want the thread all serious.

That's what has caused all the recent accusations of bullying and worse - people accused of deliberately derailing serious discussion.

And if you tell them to bugger off, you are a hater and a bully and should be banned [bitter]

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 11:42:29

Can you imagine "my thread, my rules" in action.

With the op given editing and deletion rights.

It would be a bloodbath grin and Olivia would have kittens instead of twins.

Pagwatch Mon 30-Sep-13 11:47:06

'My thread my rules' would be great.
I would post 'and don't take that tone with me young lady' and send people to their rooms to think about their behaviour.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 11:49:07

"My thread my rules" would rock very hard. I'm all over that one.

'Single issue debate' is a good topic name. I think MPlural is right though. I think there's a danger that posters more prone to taking offence might see it as labelling them 'humourless'.

It's a tricky one and no mistake.

Hullygully Mon 30-Sep-13 11:59:55

but but but

the complaint is about derailment.

if the complaint is sincere, then a dedicated single issue topic would address that complaint

and we could all talk bollocks about something else...

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:04:05

But you see, which is worse? Being derailed or ignored?

I think derailment happens when the topic is not very interesting, so it goes off-topic. The alternative is for it to die.

But the op probably doesn't see that. They think the alternative to 500 off-topic posts is 500 on-topic posts, and the off-topic ones have prevented the on topic ones being posted at all.

If that makes sense?

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 30-Sep-13 12:04:41

Well yes, that's idea, but I can envisage there being a certain type of poster seeing it as them being banished for being dull.

I hope I'm wrong but going on my experience of that personality type it would be my prediction sadly.

It would be good to see some people who don't like derailments on here actually. I'd genuinely like to hear what they think about the idea.

This thread is not accepting new messages.