Why are we allowed to namechange? And it has just been made easier to do so within the thread

(111 Posts)
LeGavrOrf Thu 26-Sep-13 10:22:48

Just out of interest really.

You can't do it on other sites can you?

I know people like to change for privacy reasons but it just cause misery with people name changing to cause shit.

And the new button down there V makes it possible for someone to really easily sock puppet. I don't see the point in it really.

You have not allowed name changing in the mumsnet local site, however you do still permit users to namechange on request. I wondered if there were plans to introduce that here or if it would cause outrage (who am I kidding, if course it will). grin

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:33:25

If I was better at telling the difference between illegal and legal I wouldn't be wearing this tag

SaltySeaBird Thu 26-Sep-13 16:35:33

I name change a fair bit as sometimes I want advice on something or want to discuss a specific incident that would make it easy for anyone who knows me in real life to recognise me.

I'd rather keep aspects of my general chit chat and online activity private, especially when discussing things like trying to conceive and fertility. Name changing makes it possible.

Tee2072 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:38:58

grin

MrsDeVere Thu 26-Sep-13 16:43:37

I will swop some valium for the morphine

Shall we set up a special board, like the local Sale or Swap ones on FB? <hopeful>

NotAQueef Thu 26-Sep-13 16:48:00

Hmm Can't get the mobile name changey thing to work for me. It keeps telling me in angry red letters that I do not own the username
"ChaaangeMaNaaaame" or any other variant I've tried.

TeamEdward Thu 26-Sep-13 16:51:58

Thanks RoawnMumsnet.
My keyboard is now covered in coffee.

OP, are you new?

TeamEdward Thu 26-Sep-13 16:54:30

Are there any plans for a name amnesty? You know, like a gun amnesty but with nicknames.
I have LOADS of nicknames stored on my My Mumsnet profile, and don't want or need most of them now. Could we give some of them up?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:56:35

Ah NotAQueef - you need to use names that are already assigned to you; you can't use the drop-down box on mobile to assign yourself an entirely new name.

mrsharrystyles Thu 26-Sep-13 16:57:35

I'm on the mobile app and I can't see where you name change. Am I being thick?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:59:01

TeamEdward

Are there any plans for a name amnesty? You know, like a gun amnesty but with nicknames.
I have LOADS of nicknames stored on my My Mumsnet profile, and don't want or need most of them now. Could we give some of them up?

No

Really sorry

OliviaMumsnet still hasn't recovered from the last one.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:00:09

mrsharrystyles

I'm on the mobile app and I can't see where you name change. Am I being thick?

Sorry mrsharrystyles - we're talking about the mobile site, not the app

Poledra Thu 26-Sep-13 17:01:50

You do know, don't you Rowan, that No is a complete sentence? You don't have to give reasons because people will just try to talk you round them.

Tee2072 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:02:25

The mention of a name amnesty sends Olivia into a ball on the floor and we don't like to talk about how Tech reacts...

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:07:28

Poledra

You do know, don't you Rowan, that No is a complete sentence? You don't have to give reasons because people will just try to talk you round them.

grin

BIWI Thu 26-Sep-13 17:08:13

What is the difference between the mobile site and the mobile app? <thick>

LeGavrOrf Thu 26-Sep-13 17:08:18

Haha at the name change amnesty.

I bet you 50 pence that at some point during that debacle someone at MNHQ shouted 'who the FUCK thought this shambles was a good idea?'

No cha0s I am 0ld.

LeGavrOrf Thu 26-Sep-13 17:08:51

The mobile site is fabulous.

The mobile app is incomprehensible.

LeGavrOrf Thu 26-Sep-13 17:11:29

Can you change your nickname to a brand spanking new one with the mobile app button?

I am just going to try.

Nope it didn't work it said this You do not own the username: CuntyCuntastico123

TeamEdward Thu 26-Sep-13 17:13:10

I knew there had been an amnesty before but I was fairly new then and didn't have any names to give up.
Sorry if the suggestion has given anyone palpatations! grin

CuntyCuntastico123 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:13:31

I just went and changed it the old fashioned way.

What were people moaning about? It's easy.

hullygully Thu 26-Sep-13 17:16:18

I have only just discovered n/c ing

It brings peculiar joys

BIWI Thu 26-Sep-13 17:16:23

But when would you use the mobile site and when would you use the mobile app?

And why have both? confused

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:16:47

The mobile site is the version you'll use when you're using a browser on your phone

The app is actually an entirely separate program that you download from the iTunes or Android stores

<ignores GavrOrf>

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:17:33

BIWI

But when would you use the mobile site and when would you use the mobile app?

And why have both? confused

Because we like to annoy all of the people, all of the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now