Zombie thread alert

(69 Posts)
BeCool Fri 16-Aug-13 22:43:59

Just saw it for the first time - it's brilliant.
Well done MNHQ!

DixieNormas Tue 06-Oct-15 00:23:58

chances are people will get half way through the thread , realise it's a zombie thread so not bother giving advice.

others won't read to the end and will give advice to an op who doesn't need it 3 years later.

It's annoying

Notimefortossers Mon 05-Oct-15 23:50:17

The OP might not need advice 3 years down the line, but someone with the same issues might see the title and read all the comments for the same advice? And I'm understanding it's not the done thing, but I'm not understanding why!

Pipbin Mon 05-Oct-15 23:45:25

I think the problem is that many people's posts are rather temporary and of the moment. If someone posts because they need advice on breastfeeding / which house to rent / if they should LTB it's fair to assume that they won't need further comments three years down the line.
Also, if you are about to resurrect a zombie thread they say 'this is a zombie thread are you sure' which makes it quite clear that it's not the done thing.

usual Mon 05-Oct-15 23:42:30

Who knows?

Notimefortossers Mon 05-Oct-15 23:36:16

Then why does the message say 'zombie thread'? It should say 'troll thread' surely?

Notimefortossers Mon 05-Oct-15 23:30:27

See you're clearly all MN veterans so you 'get' the rules! Don't blame us 'newbies' when we need them explained! I could have started my own thread, but as the general consensus on this thread was that there's nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread if it's relevant then how was I to know there was anything wrong with posting on this one? I still don't get it tbh!

usual Mon 05-Oct-15 23:29:37

Zombie threads not started by trolls are not usually deleted.

DixieNormas Mon 05-Oct-15 23:27:40

I realised it was a zombie thread when I saw a post from TSC , I wonder if she is still around under a nc

LilacSpunkMonkey Mon 05-Oct-15 23:26:40

If you wanted to know about zombie threads and troll hunting you could have started your own thread, rather than resurrecting this one.

The problem with zombie threads, in my experience, is that people with nefarious intentions resurrect them, usually to be goady or start trouble.

Notimefortossers Mon 05-Oct-15 23:22:54

I thought it was hilarious, not the original post, but some of the replies had me howling! I haven't seen this other thread it was adding fuel to so dunno what you're on about and I don't think I resurrected this for no good reason . . . I genuinely want to understand what the problem is with zombie threads, why they would be deleted and what is meant by the term 'troll hunting?

GriefLeavesItsMark Mon 05-Oct-15 23:21:00

Oh, I've just got it - dicks enormous. I can be so demse at times!

usual Mon 05-Oct-15 23:19:55

It wasn't that funny tbh. It should have been deleted for trolling not because it was a zombie thread.

ouryve Mon 05-Oct-15 23:17:21

And the warning clearly disappears after 3 messages, these days.

Though I only posted on this one to snigger like a 12 year old at Dixie's name, in the light of the threads concerned.

DixieNormas Mon 05-Oct-15 23:13:30

probably because it was full of trolls/troll hunting

LilacSpunkMonkey Mon 05-Oct-15 23:07:04

Because it wasn't 'hilarious' and was adding fuel to the fire of another thread.

And you'v resurrected another old thread for no good reason.

Notimefortossers Mon 05-Oct-15 23:04:33

Somebody commented on an old thread tonight because it was linked to from another thread . . . I was so glad they did because the thread was bloody hilarious and gave me lot's of laughs! When I went back to 'I'm on' to see if anyone else had posted I saw it had been deleted by MNHQ because it was a zombie thread! Gutted! This led me to Google 'What's wrong with zombie threads?' which led to me finding this zombie thread. The overwhelming consensus on here seems to be that there's nothing wrong with reviving a zombie thread . . . so I why have MNHQ deleted the hilarious zombie thread?!

NatDaBosss Fri 26-Sep-14 22:15:23

BecauseYoureGorgeous Sun 13-Oct-13 16:39:54

Sounds good to me.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Oct-13 23:31:26

I just went to revive an old thread in Adult non-fiction (last post was in the spring) and saw the new alert. Now I'm feeling self-conscious about reviving it so I probably won't. I agree with Relaxed, such a weird rule and one I've never seen before on an internet forum.

Don't feel selfconscious - please feel free to revive - as long as you're not posting e.g. "Buy this book| it will be fine grin

southeastdweller Fri 11-Oct-13 22:24:32

I just went to revive an old thread in Adult non-fiction (last post was in the spring) and saw the new alert. Now I'm feeling self-conscious about reviving it so I probably won't. I agree with Relaxed, such a weird rule and one I've never seen before on an internet forum.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 08-Sep-13 16:44:11

BIWI Sun 08-Sep-13 16:29:37

I've just spotted my first one, and it made me grin

One of the other things that often happens with old threads is that they are resurrected by spammers, so hopefully it will also alert people to that.

nickelbabe Tue 03-Sep-13 13:11:29

s'orright, i just realised that people have posted on it, thus removing the zombie warning

nickelbabe Tue 03-Sep-13 13:04:02

i saw the zombie alert on my tablet, but now i'm on my computer it's not there.
i clicked the sample link at the top, too.
i'm in firefox

CatAmongThePigeons Sun 01-Sep-13 20:57:47

I like the zombie warning. Its not on bereavements is it? shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now