Let girls be girls campaign

(6 Posts)
missorinoco Mon 12-Aug-13 22:07:26

Hi.

I note the thread about the campaign has a zombie alert on it. How active is it?

I have just seen the Lego friends set my 4 year old has been given.

I know the colour/ nature of what is available has been discussed before, but casting that aside I cannot believe the size and appearance of the characters.

The figures' eyes are huge and their limbs are noticeably smaller than the non Lego Friends figures, even if you compare them with a character not in armour. Both figures are wearing tiny t shirts and skirts.

It isn't so much that it sexualises girls, although the outfits leave a lot to be desired, as that this is the image of attractiveness presented to my 4 year old. Some waif-limbed, bambi-eyed skeletal character.

I know children find facial symmetry appealing, and that larger eyes are attractive to them, but this beggars belief.

If there a way to take this up, MN? I couldn't see it had been done before. I'm tempted to take it up with Lego myself if not.

TIA for your replies.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Aug-13 13:30:40

Hello, missorinoco

It's been a while since our Let Girls Be Girls campaign was an active one. We've been working on other campaigns lately and it kinda gets impossible to keep every single campaign active.

We'll be sure to pass your observations about the Lego Friends set on to our Campaigns team (when they're back from their summer hols), though.

In the meantime, do feel free to start a thread about the characters in [[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat Chat]] or another suitable topic: it would be interesting to see if other folks share your thoughts.

NetworkGuy Tue 13-Aug-13 22:50:32

Link to Chat

(naughty Helen, you must have accidentally added a space after the brackets)

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Aug-13 09:21:31

blush

Thanks NetworkGuy

TheDoctrineOfJetlag Thu 15-Aug-13 23:10:19

There's a Let Toys be Toys campaign around too - try Advanced Search (am on phone so can't do it)

HelenaLindor Fri 16-Aug-13 18:10:00

Did you find the Let toys be Toys campaign. It was started by a group of MNetters and has been really successful in browbeating retailers around the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now