Reporting threads in the wrong place - especially non AIBUs. Can we have an option on the report button.

(14 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 28-Jul-13 13:33:20

This is a perennial gripe for some of us, I know, where posters post in Aibu "for extra traffic". Imho, it's a rude type of queue-jumping.

Today I've seen threads about music playlists, weaning, breakdown cover, job interview technique, train tickets to name but a few in Aibu.

I sometimes go though a spate of reporting threads (but wonder if I'm being a bit petty). When you report a thread, there is the option to report as spam. Would it be possible to have another button saying "report as not Aibu" or "in wrong topic".

Hello MardyBra
Thanks for this - we'll have a think when we're all back at the towers tmw

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Jul-13 14:08:03

The problem is, who is to judge whether a thread should be in AIBU? If the poster wants it there, then surely there it should stay, unless it is likely to get more support elsewhere, if i don't want to read a thread, i just don't.

MardyBra Sun 28-Jul-13 14:26:40

Thanks Olivia.

Lem - sometimes posters openly admit they're "posting for extra traffic".

Tee2072 Sun 28-Jul-13 18:59:55

It would be handy for the Bloggers forum, since people post regular stuff there and get no answers since we're all talking about our bogs!

kim147 Mon 29-Jul-13 11:38:03

We just need less topics.

This should give you an idea.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1813428-to-think-there-should-be-a-forum-where-things-can-be-discussed-without-having-to-be-AIBU-about-stuff?msgid=40564745

I think a WTF forum would be great. Serious and non serious chat.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Jul-13 15:09:35

Hello. We're always happy to move a thread if it's obviously in the wrong place.

For example: AIBU where's the best place to buy a pram?

And in general, we are pretty much in favour of folks using as many of our topics as possible.

But we're not the thread police. If someone posts a thread in the wrong place "just for traffic" (and it was reported), we'd probably drop them a line and suggest they posted in the right topic, where they might get fewer replies (although a great number of topics are far more active than some folks think) but those replies would probably be more knowledgeable/helpful/etc

magimedi Argentina Mon 29-Jul-13 16:07:40

flowers Kim for posting that link.

I also feel there are far too many topics & a bit of pruning would be good.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Jul-13 16:10:15

magimedi

flowers Kim for posting that link.

I also feel there are far too many topics & a bit of pruning would be good.

Yes, we are planning some pruning.

And yet, as fast as we plan, we have other folks requesting more topics.

Tis a bit of a headscratcher!

wigglesrock Germany Mon 29-Jul-13 19:36:44

But what actual harm does it do? It's a bit head girlish imo. It's an internet forum, not the filing dept of the library. I'm not really how you would do it? Most AIBU questions have 2 or 3 topics technically in it

AIBU to think that my child's teacher should have put them in the choir? - education, parenting or music?

To me, it just seems a slippery slope towards moderation by fellow posters and that's not for me.

I don't really get the queue analogy, you don't have to answer AIBU in order and queues? I don't get the reverance smile

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 29-Jul-13 19:37:38

oh please and keep all the dull ones about sleep and breastfeeding in the right place

What about the ones about veg LadyMH?
wink

LadyMilfordHaven Mon 29-Jul-13 19:55:10

yes let them hide their broccoli where they like it ;)

kim147 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:35:55

Pruning you say....

I think you should look at the suggestions on my thread. Some interesting ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now