Tips for Kate: which invaluable piece of new-mum advice would you pass on? Please share it here, or Tweet to #tips4kate

(143 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Jul-13 14:55:23

So, the royal baby has finally arrived – congrats, Will and Kate!

Anyone with even moderately republican leanings should probably look away now – and, by look away, we mean from everything: internet, telly, newspapers, billboards, the works. The next few weeks are set fair to be a veritable fiesta of regality.

Which is ironic, in a way, because there are surely few experiences more levelling than that of giving birth and its immediate aftermath. No matter how much money you have, or how many attendants dancing errm attendance, at the end of the day, it's just you and your baby.

With that in mind, let's offer a helping hand to a fellow new mother – indeed, to all the new mothers out there. What would be the single invaluable piece of advice you'd share on the early days – and long nights – with a newborn?

Post it on the thread, or better yet, Tweet it with the hashtag #tips4kate. We'll make up a book of our favourites, and pass it on to her – and we'll ensure that your suggestions are given a permanent home on the site, too.

So go on, share: what helped you through?

Choose your battles

Don't sweat the small stuff

Make time to just play with your baby (and keep this up as he gets older)

Be silly, have fun and enjoy your son's company

Let him get dirty and muddy when he is older.

gazzalw Mon 22-Jul-13 20:52:57

Massive Attack is very good for lulling a very fractious baby boy to sleep (worked for us) and don't shy away from handing the baby over to Prince William for the graveyard shift grin!

heartmoonshadow Mon 22-Jul-13 20:53:41

Your baby your rules - although that may be hard with great grandma!

Maybe the people refering to MIL meant GrandMIL?

Wildwaterfalls Mon 22-Jul-13 20:54:34

When you settle down to bf, make sure you have all the things you might need around you... Drink, snack, book, phone etc

lottiegarbanzo Mon 22-Jul-13 20:55:37

Yes, I thought paternal grandmother, then remembered Camilla.

MrsRandom78 Mon 22-Jul-13 20:55:47

Trust your instincts, cuddle your baby and enjoy every minute!

WinkyWinkola Mon 22-Jul-13 20:56:49

Don't be afraid to do what you feel is the best for your baby wrt feeding, cuddling etc.

White noise...

<is clearly on a roll>

CitrusyOne Mon 22-Jul-13 20:59:34

Snuggly naps with your baby are the best. Have them as often as you possibly can. They give you a sense of calm that nothing else can.

Cherish every moment.

cabbage leaves down her bra in 3 days time!

Is it me or was the OP written before the baby was born let alone announced hmm

SuffolkNWhat Mon 22-Jul-13 21:03:08

Tell the Bounty Lady to fuck off wink

LostInWales Mon 22-Jul-13 21:03:11

I said that Edwina but they are ignoring me <consipracy> wink crown

Mum2toomany Mon 22-Jul-13 21:03:12

When awake in the middle of the night feeding/changing remember that you are not alone, lots of mothers are doing the same thing as you.

Be strong...and carry on!

MichaelaS Mon 22-Jul-13 21:03:54

persevere with the breastfeeding (if you intend to). it's really hard for the first week or so, and you will feel tired and emotional and like it will never work. then suddenly it all gets better and it becomes the easiest thing in the world, and you can stay in bed and don't even have to wake up to feed your baby. yawn

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Jul-13 21:05:27

If breast feeding doesn't work for you, don't be a martyr or get upset.

You can raise a perfectly healthy baby on formula crown

MissStrawberry Mon 22-Jul-13 21:07:46

Yes, how come you knew before everyone else? hmm.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Mon 22-Jul-13 21:09:32

Think of the next three months as the '4th trimester' and just do what you have to do to get through them. Do not worry about forming bad habits or making rods for your own back; it won't happen.

Just do what you need to do to get through them, and to keep baby warm, fed and loved.

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Jul-13 21:09:55

I thought the baby was born at 4.20pm or something? confused

TheDoctrineOfAllan Mon 22-Jul-13 21:10:23

I think it was written earlier but posted later!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 22-Jul-13 21:11:04

MNHQ were just being prepared!

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Jul-13 21:11:18

But it was posted at the time in the OP wasn't it?

DeathByTray Mon 22-Jul-13 21:13:25

They've found a way of hiding the thread from us all until after baby was born.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Mon 22-Jul-13 21:14:11

But no one else posted till 2040 so I assume it was written but not published [deerstalker]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now