Do you ever MN on a shared computer/iPad? Then protect your posts and read this. (Actually, everyone should have a butcher's really)

(39 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 13:44:48

Hello.

We've recently become aware <nods at rather long recent Site Stuff thread) that quite a few of you do your Mumsnetting on a computer/device you share with other people in your household.

And we're guessing most of you lot would rather keep those other folk in your household (lovely as they undoubtedly are) out of your Mumsnet account. Cos it's yours and yours alone, and all.

So, at the risk of sounding a little patronising/headmistressy, we thought it might be a good idea run through some simple precautions you should be taking to protect your Mumsnet identity and stop others having access to your account details.

* First off, please be aware that now, when you log in, our system will automatically keep you logged in unless you tell it otherwise. So, if you want to keep your account away from prying eyes, you need to untick the "Keep me logged in" checkbox when you log in. Once you've done this the first time, the checkbox will then remain unticked every time you visit the log in page - unless you tick the box again.

* Once you've finished MNing (or if you need to leave your computer to pop to the loo/deal with children/answer the door etc), close your browser window. This ensures you are logged out (if you've unticked the checkbox) – and means nobody using the computer after you will have access to your account.

* It's also worth knowing that, in the next couple of days, we'll be streamlining the process of managing MyMumsnet. The most noticeable change will be that you will no longer be asked to log into MyMumsnet every time you go there. In fact, once these changes are in place, you will only be asked for your password in two places: when you want to log in and when you want to change your password.

These changes will make MyMumsnet much easier/simpler to use and we don't think they'll make your account details any less secure, as long as you're taking the steps you we're advising you to take anyway to keep access to your account away from those who share your computer.

We'll let you now when these changes are released. In the meantime, do please feel free to post up any Qs here.

youarewinning Wed 21-Aug-13 08:48:09

This is why I'm glad work gave me a laptop. DS (9) now has mine and I MN in peace grin

VenusRising Sun 18-Aug-13 01:47:40

So long as he's not posting on those naughty threads ivykaty44!

ivykaty44 Wed 14-Aug-13 21:38:52

I am logged onto mumsnet at my dads - I have this image of him reading the friday night threads and giggling grin

MangoJuiceAddict Mon 29-Jul-13 11:30:09

I just use InPrivate browsing

Chanatan Mon 22-Jul-13 20:03:38

Can I add,if you use ccleaner,the box may well be checked again,as your cookies may have been cleared.

thismousebites Thu 18-Jul-13 14:31:38

Can I just ask.....if you are logged into MN on more than one pc, will logging off on one mean you are logged off on all of them?

KateSMumsnet Cameroon (MNHQ) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:26:41

Lighthousekeeping

Last night I found it impossible to log out and, I was at work as well! blush was their a reason for this? I turned the computer off. Would that have logged me out?

Not necessarily. Some browsers, after a shut down, automatically ping up the pages that were last open.

Unless you tick "keep me logged in", closing down your browser should log you out.

KateSMumsnet Cameroon (MNHQ) Wed 17-Jul-13 11:51:19

Hello all,

Tech have just done a release that means you won't have to log in every time you go to My Mumsnet.

As Big H said up there, you now should only be asked for your password when you log in, and when you want to change your password.

So let us welcome in a new glorious era of My Mumsnet. Let us know if anything goes wonky.

NicholasTeakozy Wed 17-Jul-13 10:24:12

If you can't enable private browsing or if 'clear history' isn't working a great free tool is available. It's called CCleaner, it'll clear your history and tracking cookies etc. If you don't want websites following you around the web get Ghostery, and you'll never get a targeted ad again.

ChippingInHopHopHop Wed 17-Jul-13 03:26:38

Oh great, I'm pleased to hear you are happy to be coming back smile

I bet your parents are happy and it's good to know DD will be too. Not long now!!

Do you think you will be settled here for a while or will you be off again?

I'm not sure whether I'm envious of you or relieved I'm not you grin

I am thrilled beyond anything thrilling!
DD doesn't have any friends (according to her) so she is just happy that term is ending. She is under the impression that she's going to a different school next year (which isn't strictly speaking a lie) so that's softened the blow.
We will tell her once term has ended and we've booked the flights. Where we are moving to is about a mile away from my parents so she'll be chuffed to bits about that.
I am fed up with all the moving, but given my DHs advanced age it has been unavoidable.

ChippingInHopHopHop Wed 17-Jul-13 02:32:30

How do you feel about coming back here again? bearing in mind that Adrian is spoken for

It's a shame you can't tell chatterbox her that you are leaving, it might make the last few days at school more bearable. Will she be able to say good bye to her friends?

Are you going back to your house in the UK or will you have to start over again?

You must be fed up/exhausted with all of this moving and resettling sad

We are moving to the UK to be closer to Adrian due to circumstances beyond our control.
It hasn't been the best year of our lives. DD hates her school and does't want to go in for the last two days, so does DH. She's had a couple of racist incidents which the school have not addressed properly IMO.
Not long now though. They finish on Friday.

ChippingInHopHopHop Wed 17-Jul-13 01:50:11

Kreech you are one sad puppy my friend!! (where are you off to next, if we're allowed to know?) Will you be sad to leave M or are you ready? I loved my visit there, but not sure about living there.

maltesecat - because it's all I want from life. sod health, wealth and happiness for my DD. It's Ade. Nudey.

I just tried this, and I can't delete my browser history (Firefox - went menu, history, clear recent history... but when I then typed in ww to the sear bar lots of previously visited pages popped up...)

I don't have any special need to clear my browser history, but other people do use my laptop... any idea why the clear history isn't working? confused

themaltesecat Tue 16-Jul-13 16:46:47

kreecherlivesupstairs, why would you even say something like "naked Adrian Chiles"? WHY?

Lighthousekeeping Tue 16-Jul-13 15:02:15

Last night I found it impossible to log out and, I was at work as well! blush was their a reason for this? I turned the computer off. Would that have logged me out?

NotAQueef Tue 16-Jul-13 09:50:12

Or you could just do what I do and log in at work click keep me logged in, yet have to log in everytime I close down and come back
realises this is probably because I am perma logged in on my ipad.

TheChocolateTeapot Tue 16-Jul-13 08:42:24

Sorry, quick question here from a real numpty. If I enable private browsing on my iPad, does that mean I will lose all the useful "retained" information like my banking/passwords etc........ please reply in words of one syllable

vintagecakeisstillnice Tue 16-Jul-13 08:10:08

Hi MN,

Is it possible to have a one click log off button, instead of have to go in to the drop down menu?

Because she is wall of sound. For reasons far too dull to go into, it must remain a secret.
Me and DH were discussing it last night. We will tell her as soon as possible. Won't leave it till we are on the plane flying to the UK.

orderinformation Tue 16-Jul-13 06:29:00

Thread hijack but why doesn't dd know you are moving country kreecher?

DP and DCs know what my nickname is, and have read bits of threads over my shoulder. However, they don't know the password, and I am careful about logging off properly every time I leave the pc or laptop unattended. I do ensure I clear browsing history though.

I often forget to clear my history. I don't google for pictures of a naked Adrian Chiles, or any other unsavory things.
I have been making doubly sure recently that I do though. We are leaving Malaysia soon. DD doesn't know. My mum sent me and email about schools. DD found it (since she uses my log in on this mac to access her accounts) and asked me what was going on.
Luckily I was able to think on my feet and say she was mistaken, Mum's message was about the new school she thinks she is going to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now