request for new sections in Education

(38 Posts)
katydid02 Sun 07-Jul-13 08:29:57

There are sections for primary and secondary, please could there be sections for first and middle schools as well as sometimes it'd be useful to post on a specific forum for these schools given the issues coming up at different ages to primary/secondary - e.g. changing schools and differences with year 4 being the oldest etc.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Aug-13 10:05:16

katydid02

What was the outcome of this please?

No outcome yet, I'm afraid katydid02. We're still mulling it over.

We're all for new topics where there's a demand but we also know, from the past, that sometimes we can create new topics and then noone uses them.

katydid02 Mon 12-Aug-13 10:01:43

What was the outcome of this please?

NoComet Tue 16-Jul-13 09:27:21

A London schools section would be my request. They seem to be loads of very specific problems connected with over subscribed London schools that are pretty meaningless to those of us in the sticks.

Erebus Tue 16-Jul-13 09:23:37

Wish we had a 3 tier system! Makes so much sense, moving the DC from one stage of their education to the next in line with their physical and emotional/hormonal changes! We were lucky to have a separate Infants and Juniors, but of course that was between Y2 and 3 whereas I believe Infants should go to the end of Y3, Juniors Y4-7 if not 8, Senior from Y8 or 9 upwards.

Hijack over.

katydid02 Mon 15-Jul-13 17:11:51

Thanks HelenMNHQ smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 15-Jul-13 13:00:14

Thanks HelenMNHQ. smile

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 12:58:34

Thanks for all of these suggestions. We'll have a good think about them - and see if we can find some way to please you all <twists self in knots>

Succubi Mon 15-Jul-13 09:05:17

Is it possible to have a private school sub category as well?

Sparklingbrook Mon 15-Jul-13 09:01:34

Yes Katy that's true. WRT Educational/curriculum stuff years would be good I think.

I do get a bit sad when everyone is on about their Year 7s going off to Secondary when that doesn't happen here.And their Year 4 is just another Primary year but it's a big deal for us.

I don't think we are going two tier any time soon.

katydid02 Mon 15-Jul-13 07:30:45

Thanks Olivia, I hope you've been out enjoying the sun and not slaving over a hot laptop!
Sparklingbrook, I like your suggestion of school years. Of course year 4 in a first school is going to be a bit different to a year 4 in a primary school but you can always post in year 6 for leavers stuff smile

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 14-Jul-13 19:07:03

katydid02

Do MNHQ read site stuff?

hello
Sorry I'm late
Yes we do
We will have a look at this and see what's occurring

I asked for a Scottish education section a few years ago, and I think the MN towers response was that they thought it was a good idea...

Sparklingbrook Sun 14-Jul-13 18:59:48

I think they should have sections in School Years. Straight to the year you want?

BackforGood Sun 14-Jul-13 18:03:59

I think it's interesting to read about all the different things that go on in different parts of the country. I've learned lots on hear about how things I'd previously presumed are national, only happen in our LA or all the things that are different in Scotland, for example. Like Doctrine says, I think a lot of posts will get a lot less traffic if spread too thinly.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:47:02

Jean, it means that people don't know where to post things and some sections get very neglected. For example, if you wanted to ask for good reading books for a seven year old, where would it go in the new sections? First school or primary education?

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:45:16

Yes, but reporting your OP might speed the process.

katydid02 Sun 14-Jul-13 08:09:48

Do MNHQ read site stuff?

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 03:02:34

I'm interested in why some people think there are too many sections.

I don't mean that in an aggressive way, I'm just not sure what the downside of having more sections is and I'd like to consider the other pov.

I do really think given the different exam system/ admission system etc, a Scottish topic would make sense.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Wed 10-Jul-13 00:26:46

What Trills said.

tethersend Tue 09-Jul-13 18:01:52

And yes to a Scottish section. And a Welsh section. And an NI section.

Hmmm... We're going to need a bigger Internet grin

tethersend Tue 09-Jul-13 17:58:37

I think there should be an admissions section with stickies at the top about appeals etc.

That would free up the primary and secondary (and first and middle if you must wink) sections for threads directly relating to schools and education.

Weegiemum Tue 09-Jul-13 17:46:16

Scotland has a lot of different issues - later entry and non-penalised deferral (my dd1 and ds went into p1 at 5y6m, didn't have to skip a year), exam systems, CfE, bilingual system (also for Wales of course), the blessed lack of Gove, different teacher training, even holiday issues are different. And uni is different too, fee stuff obviously but also 4-year undergrad.

I don't mind posting in the general primary/secondary forums but it can be hard to get an appropriate response sometimes?

katydid02 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:38:07

grin
Would it have instructions on it for making voodoo dolls?

Talkinpeace Mon 08-Jul-13 22:00:55

grin

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jul-13 21:29:38

I do think there could be a GoveWatch one though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now