request for new sections in Education

(38 Posts)
katydid02 Sun 07-Jul-13 08:29:57

There are sections for primary and secondary, please could there be sections for first and middle schools as well as sometimes it'd be useful to post on a specific forum for these schools given the issues coming up at different ages to primary/secondary - e.g. changing schools and differences with year 4 being the oldest etc.

Talkinpeace Sun 07-Jul-13 17:19:18

First and middle schools are being phased out across the country and are nationally very rare so rather a niche product

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 18:09:41

Yes, but how hard would it be to make a new section?
MNSN have been well catered-for in that department. One of the problems with being involved in a rare or niche set is that it's hard to find things relevant to you, as everything else smothers it.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 18:11:59

First and middle schools are being phased out across the country and are nationally very rare so rather a niche product

Yet we have sections on here for other niche products, as a middle school teacher I would welcome this as we haven't gone yet

MirandaWest Sun 07-Jul-13 18:12:46

There are sections for many things - I think First and Middle Schools would be a sensible addition. Where we used to live there is a three tier system and I don't think it's likely to change for a while at least

Arisbottle Sun 07-Jul-13 18:21:04

I agree, the number of middle and first schools is shrinking but we seem to have sections for other niches .

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 19:09:12

Ford for example, The Royal Family, Euro 2012 to name a few

redlac Sun 07-Jul-13 19:22:42

There should also be a section for Scottish education since we don't fall under the incompetence of Gove thankfully!

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 20:45:52

Absolutely redlac, you lucky bastards a place to discuss CfE etc

JeanPaget Sun 07-Jul-13 20:53:00

I'd second a Scottish section

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 21:34:50

Also the difference in the Highers system etc. in fact I'd say there was a greater need for a Scottish section than a First & Middle section but both would be nice of course grin

katydid02 Mon 08-Jul-13 21:18:14

Very envious of those of you in Scotland!
The three tier system round here seems to be set to stay and, like others have said, both that forum and a Scottish one would be good.
How do we persuade MNHQ then?!

Trills Mon 08-Jul-13 21:21:10

There are too many sections already...

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jul-13 21:29:38

I do think there could be a GoveWatch one though

Talkinpeace Mon 08-Jul-13 22:00:55

grin

katydid02 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:38:07

grin
Would it have instructions on it for making voodoo dolls?

Weegiemum Tue 09-Jul-13 17:46:16

Scotland has a lot of different issues - later entry and non-penalised deferral (my dd1 and ds went into p1 at 5y6m, didn't have to skip a year), exam systems, CfE, bilingual system (also for Wales of course), the blessed lack of Gove, different teacher training, even holiday issues are different. And uni is different too, fee stuff obviously but also 4-year undergrad.

I don't mind posting in the general primary/secondary forums but it can be hard to get an appropriate response sometimes?

tethersend Tue 09-Jul-13 17:58:37

I think there should be an admissions section with stickies at the top about appeals etc.

That would free up the primary and secondary (and first and middle if you must wink) sections for threads directly relating to schools and education.

tethersend Tue 09-Jul-13 18:01:52

And yes to a Scottish section. And a Welsh section. And an NI section.

Hmmm... We're going to need a bigger Internet grin

TheDoctrineOfAllan Wed 10-Jul-13 00:26:46

What Trills said.

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 03:02:34

I'm interested in why some people think there are too many sections.

I don't mean that in an aggressive way, I'm just not sure what the downside of having more sections is and I'd like to consider the other pov.

I do really think given the different exam system/ admission system etc, a Scottish topic would make sense.

katydid02 Sun 14-Jul-13 08:09:48

Do MNHQ read site stuff?

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:45:16

Yes, but reporting your OP might speed the process.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 14-Jul-13 17:47:02

Jean, it means that people don't know where to post things and some sections get very neglected. For example, if you wanted to ask for good reading books for a seven year old, where would it go in the new sections? First school or primary education?

BackforGood Sun 14-Jul-13 18:03:59

I think it's interesting to read about all the different things that go on in different parts of the country. I've learned lots on hear about how things I'd previously presumed are national, only happen in our LA or all the things that are different in Scotland, for example. Like Doctrine says, I think a lot of posts will get a lot less traffic if spread too thinly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now