MNHQ are you really advertising pole dancing?

(61 Posts)

Adverts for stag do parties in Budapest with the image of a woman's leg in a high heel next to a pole?
I didn't click on it so it may be something completely different but I know what it looked like! I couldn't believe my eyes.

MmeLindor Mon 01-Jul-13 15:50:32

And I'm sure they can block certain ads - can you imagine the uproar if a Nestle ad was shown on Mumsnet?

Could MNHQ confirm if they have any control over the ads?

Will reprt this thread. Agree that while they may not personally select each ad they presumably do have a certain amount of control over the type/frequency...could potentially be very bad for business if not.

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 15:59:36

That's not true reggie. They have, in the past, spoken to the ad company to have ads removed.

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:01:39

Once again, it has nothing to do with MNHQ. It is based on the cookies installed on your personal computer. If you searched for a topic about lap dances, or stag dos, or read and responded to a topic about something related to that, the ad tracking software picked up on that. It is completely based on what you have on your computer. If you don't want to see the ad, you have to delete your cookies and block it from your browser.

You can try emailing them if you want to protest against them using AdChoices on a whole, but in regards to individual ads, they won't be able to do anything about it.

Once again we are talking about different things. You are talking about the technical aspects. I am talking about the fact that it is coming up on their site, and therefore reflects on them. As a dumb user I do not care about the technicalities of how it gets there. Are you telling me there is absolutely nothing they can do at all? Because I bed to differ - for example, you have already suggested one solution.

Presumably these ads aren't self creating. Someone somewhere must create them and load them into the "options". So there is a point during the process during which an ad is either in or out. I'm not saying MNHQ have any part to play in that process at the moment but surely there is a possibility they can say they are not happy with the way that process takes place and will take their business elsewhere unless they get to veto certain ads.

I'm not saying they will. Chances are they will tell me to lump it grin but I am just pointing out that I don't think you are actually considering all the options - only the ones that seem apparent to you.

and cookies cleared, thanks for the reminder

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:12:37

Stealth We're not, we're talking about the same thing, I just don't think you're understanding how it works. AdChoices has millions of companies who advertise through them, and you can tailor it personally based on what you want to see ads for. For example, when I'm looking for flights somewhere, I'll enable the ads so I can see offers from travel sites and airlines. The rest of the time, I have ads turned off, so they're "generalised" ads, which have to be appropriate for all-age viewing, so I would be unlikely to see any ads about strip clubs in Budapest.

Unless they want to opt-out of AdChoices all together (which I imagine would lose them a fortune and they probably won't do) then no, as far as my experience goes, there isn't a way for them to tailor the ads because it's based on user-experience, instead of what site you're on.

The very, very simple solution is to a) clear your cookies after each browsing session, and/or b) click the arrow logo on the ad, and choose to opt out.

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 16:13:07

And, once again, MNHQ have in the past contacted the ad agency and said 'We don't want XYZ ad on our site no matter the cookies a user has'.

HQ can speak to the ad agency and tell them that.

You sound like some of the first line techs I used to work with. Only know enough about this stuff to sound off, not enough to actually know what you're talking about.

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:15:24

Yes, MNHQ has the option to say they're unhappy with the way AdChoices works, and they can drop the programme as a whole, but that would lose MN a lot of money, and AdChoices wouldn't pay a second's notice to them leaving, as there are millions of companies who use them.

I know what you mean, it's slightly annoying knowing that you're being "tracked" on every site that you go to, but unless you use private browsing, it's just the way things are...

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:23:24

Yes Tee I'm actually an idiot and haven't worked with AdChoices for years on my own company website, both as someone who displays advertising, and as someone who provides advertising to be used on other sites. hmm

You can filter out entire groups of advertising, (i.e., no travel, no entertainment, etc.) but a lot of companies have cottoned on to that, and are tailoring their ads to appear in more than a few categories so they have less of a chance of being blocked, so MN would have to block every category that "strip clubs" could appear in, which massively impacts the revenue that they generate from the ads in the first place.

You sound like the type of person who phones up a tech support person and tries to pretend that you know better than they do when you're the one asking for help in the first place

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:27:11

Not saying that MN will or won't do anything with regards to the ads, just that it's really not as simple as ringing someone up and saying, "No more strip club ads, thanks!" and that you shouldn't be outraged at MNHQ when it's not actually something they have a lot of control over.

livinginwonderland Mon 01-Jul-13 16:27:38

Get AdBlock.

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 16:29:30

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

And if Ad whatsit can't do that? They are a really stupid company that no one should use.

There is plenty of ways to use targeted adverts well without putting ads on sites that don't want those ads. As MMeL said, what if it was a Nestle ad? Or formula? This site would explode.

iWork in a technical role. When my boss asks me to do something she doesn't care what the technology can or can't do. She wants me to work within the limits of the technology to achieve our aims - and that may involve thinking outside the technological constraints. So when mnhq come to this thread their choice may be between keeping the handful of mners on this thread happy , or generating as much advertising revenue as possible. That's going to be a tough one for them grin. But ultimately there are ALWAYS ways round these issues if you're willing to make the sacrifices. If you think not wait until the bnp start advertising on mn and see how quickly they discover they can actually do "something".

Not comparing this to the bnp btw. Just making the point about technical constraints vs business requirement from a management point of view

My "outrage" actually was disbelief. On Bethune I'd have believed it but I thought all ads on mn had to go through anyfucker or something... smile

Nethuns. Stupid technilogy

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:34:34

And if Ad whatsit can't do that? They are a really stupid company that no one should use.

They're a Google company, so good luck with suggesting that no one use them. grin

(btw, Stealth assume this was a typo, but I loved the "iWork" it made me chuckle grin)

jennycoast Mon 01-Jul-13 16:36:04

reggie I can assure you I have never googled, or read a thread on here, or on any other way shape or form engaged in pole dancing lessons discussion. I do however live quite near Windsor - which is where the ones in the ad I can see are based, which is where I suspect they are getting their tag (or whatever you call it) from.

iRonically that was on my iPad. iThink they're trying to take over.

Hellohippo Mon 01-Jul-13 16:43:48

Is it because of the eBay thread with the link I didn't dare click n because bleaching eyes was mentioned?

reggiebean Mon 01-Jul-13 16:45:54

Hello I did have to delete my cookies instantly after looking at that, I couldn't even imagine what sort of ads they'd come up with for that. blush

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 16:47:49

Being Google hardly makes them invincible. Ask their Google Reader team...

I'm using Chrome with the AdBlock app installed and never see any ads on MN. There's a little hand at the top telling me 4 are being blocked on his page.

I can pause it with one click if I want to see the ads (which I never do) and if it doesn't recognise something on a page as an ad I can point it out and get it blocked.

Makes for a much calmer internet experiance.... MN get their advertising money, the companies get their advertising shown by AdChoices and I don't have to see them = everyone's happy.

MmeLindor Mon 01-Jul-13 17:19:08

The issue isn't what is technically possible. As Stealth said, that's one for the tech team to work out.

The problem is that AdChoices is putting ads on Mumsnet which may offend or upset users, and this is something that MNHQ will have to deal with.

It's a cop out to say 'they can't do anything about it'. There are plenty of ads that would not be in the 'spirit of Mumsnet' and would have people up in arms.

MNHQ have always been good about listening to our whinging concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now