slow loading pages

(56 Posts)
CanadianJohn Wed 19-Jun-13 02:54:50

In the last couple of days, the "Talk" pages are loading really slowly. Occasionally the page that lists all the topics locks up, and I get a message - something about a long-running script.

In addition, the back button now takes TWO clicks to work... maybe it is stopping the script? Who knows.

I am using a desktop with Windoze 7 and IE9. I have multiple ad blockers and cookie blockers.

ShoeWhore Tue 23-Jul-13 20:49:34

Sorry I am still getting this sad

Viviennemary Sat 20-Jul-13 14:56:58

I've just got back from holiday. Before then it was at a complete standstill. Much much better today. Thank you.

Better today, thanks for asking. (On IE-something!)

LineRunner Mon 15-Jul-13 17:01:54

Only ok on Chrome.

hardboiled Mon 15-Jul-13 15:31:07

Mine is running ok after days of despair. Thank you!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 13:08:36

How is everyone doing today? Still slow - or better? <ever hopeful>

LineRunner Sat 13-Jul-13 10:31:32

It's running OK on Chrome so I guess it is the sheer volume of stuff on the site that's causing the problem.

LineRunner Sat 13-Jul-13 08:36:03

I found MN really slow last night, and it still is this morning.

PickleFish Thu 11-Jul-13 15:28:59

4GB even with only Firefox and Thunderbird open? Yikes. I can see if I were trying to run Office or something (which I rarely do), but 90% of the time it really is just those two.

It's particularly mumsnet that is the problem. I can see at the bottom of the page that it is trying to load various things: req.wunderloop, bscorecard.research, pixel.quantserve, widgets.twitter, pinterest connection, pixel.facebook, google-analytics, edge.serve, etc, all those kinds of things (not quite the right names, but approx). The real basics of the page will load, and then it will hang for ages while it tries to connect to all those servers. (it's virgin media broadband, generally OK speed).

I've not tried chrome yet, might give it a go. I've put an adblocker with firefox, but it doesn't stop it connecting to all those sites. Safari (built in to Mac) also slow. I read about some kind of start-up script you can install that will block access to all those kind of sites, but couldn't quite understand the instructions of where to find the right place to put it for a Mac.

I've cleared the cache. Processor is only 2.26 GHz, not sure about graphics card. They were ok 4 or so years ago when I bought the Mac, though it wasn't a top-of-the-range one by any means.

Quackster Thu 11-Jul-13 15:13:46

With applications these days, you'd need at least 4GB of RAM.

Your hard drive would really only have any interaction with cache and cookies, which should not slow down things much.

I would be more worried about your processor and graphics card, as they would be the culprits that have to render webpages and execute everything. I'm sure if you did a full reinstall, things would be better for a while, but this would eventually crop up again.

Out of interest, have you tried browsing a few of these websites in Google Chrome?

PickleFish Thu 11-Jul-13 14:22:30

It is a Mac mini, and it is quite old - maybe 4 or 5 years, but you would think that it should still cope OK with websites and stuff. It's OSX, v.10.6.8, which should be the latest one as I update whenever it says there is one. The hard disk is about 3/4 full, 2GB RAM which isn't lots I guess, but it's not like I'm using it to do much - usually about 3 applications open (Firefox, Thunderbird email, and sometimes some other thing). And it's been running all of that fine, until about 6 months ago, when it started to get really slow, have problems with long-running scripts, and all these widget/ad sites/social media plug ins, etc.

Quackster Thu 11-Jul-13 13:05:41

That sounds like something internal to your mac.

What mac version do you have ? ( Apple symbol > About this mac )

And how old is it ?

PickleFish Thu 11-Jul-13 12:26:18

I'm on a Mac, and I have firefox v.22, which says it's the latest.

Loads of spinning cursors and the sort of noise that sounds like it's endlessly trying to do something, but taking forever at it - mouse won't do anything while it's happening. Not always just mumsnet, but worst with it. Hard to switch from tab to tab, as well, or application to application.

Quackster Thu 11-Jul-13 09:00:24

PickleFish

What OS are you using? Mac or Windows? And what version of Firefox do you have? Is it the latest?

PickleFish Thu 11-Jul-13 07:45:52

I'm still having problems, and I have Firefox

Quackster Wed 10-Jul-13 19:19:06

My advice is not to use Internet Explorer, despite all the swankey adverts. Lot of tosh.

Download Google Chrome, a proper browser. No 'long-running scripts' ( its 2013 IE ) blocks Chrome rendering and you using Mumsnet.

Another excellent alternative would be Firefox

yamsareyammy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:43:40

Mine is better now. Thanks.

CanadianJohn Wed 10-Jul-13 18:33:48

The "back button not working" is because the back button isn't going to the previous Mumsnet page, but instead pointing to some stupid Twitter widget, which my ad blocker promptly knocks out, leaving me apparently having gone nowhere. FWIW, the Daily Mail is worse, they have multiple widgets.

I've switched to IE10, and the slow loading has improved. Better than IE9, but still slow.

How about that, Mumsnet, you are better than the Daily Mail. Damned by faint praise?

FruOla Wed 10-Jul-13 17:05:24

It's still at at. Driving me mad.

Tiggles Sun 07-Jul-13 22:59:47

I get this on my home computer IE9, but not at work IE10. It'a been horrendous this last weekend, crashing IE completely.
Turned off javascript in IE9 and all is fine- it doesn't load the top banner which was causing the problem.
Just have to remember to turn scripting back on when I look at any other site.

yamsareyammy Sun 07-Jul-13 17:30:54

Mine gets better after 10pm
Note to self, post at night!
Though I see that doesnt work for CanadianJohn.

yamsareyammy Sun 07-Jul-13 17:28:30

Meglet, I was going to ask you where tools is.

MNHQ - can you post an update please, maybe tomorrow?

Viviennemary Sun 07-Jul-13 17:14:27

Today Mumsnet has been virtually unusable. It's taken me totally ages even to get this far. I can't get anything to load at all. Keep getting message slow running script. My computer is quite old but today the website has just been almost impossible to access. So don't know what's wrong.

splitbrain Sun 07-Jul-13 15:57:54

Long running script nightmare here too!!!!!!!!!
Every time I go onto something on Mumsnet.
Waiting.
Waiting.
More waiting.
It means I don't have time for quick checks anymore, which is the only time I have for Mumsnet. Very annoying.

scampidoodle Sun 07-Jul-13 15:05:55

I've started having problems with other sites as well. Oddly, not all but many. Mumsnet was first and now several others I've looked at over the last couple of days.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now