The new Navigation Bar (at t'top): the "official" thread

(324 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 10:21:49

Hello. There are ruddy millions quite a few threads in Site Stuff at the mo about changes/glitches/weirdy stuff related to the release of our new Navigation Bar (the big blue bar at the top of the page that helps you find all the various bits of Mumsnet).

So, for clarity's (and sanity's) sake, we're starting this thread to keep everything in one place - and have just one thread where you tell us what's not working for you and where we update you on what we've fixed/are fixing etc etc.

Right then...

A couple of quick answers/updates for you right now:

* The PM Inbox flag/blog/"you've got a PM" icon is now back. Apols for having inadvertently made it disappear.

* The jumpiness/flickiness of the Nav Bar in general: we're working on sorting this now - and hope to have a fix released by tomorrow.

* MyMumsnet: this will reappear on the Nav Bar at some point in the next three days or so. In the meantime, you can find MyMumsnet here.

* Keep me logged in. We're looking into this - and will update you soon.

Any more Qs/probs/moans/peans of praise (hopeful), do please post them here.

TheFallenNinja Wed 05-Jun-13 13:03:42

Helen

Do you have an army of beta testers? If not I'm happy to volunteer.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:11:29

mistlethrush

I could swear that I'm getting the drop downs flashing up even when my mouse hasn't been (that) near. Particularly common is the 'offers' one that doesn't seem to have a home so hovers underneath 'pregnancy' and around 'talk' of 'Mumsnet talk' - why is this one here and how are you meant to find it if you don't know that it is there (apart from when you hit 'threads I am on and it decides to pop up anyway). At least the pop downs are going away again quickly now - but having clickable ones would be preferable.

Yes, we're very very very very very aware that the drop-downs are very easy to activate by accident. That's one of the things we're working on sorting right now. Please bear with us.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:12:24

ChaosTrulyReigns

Betcha glad to be back, eh, Helen?

I'll bet there's a dent in your desk.

<<passes Helen cool pack for forehred>>

I'm thrilled smile

Does the cool pack have gin in it?

Tee2072 Wed 05-Jun-13 13:14:56

What else would a MN cool pack have in it?!?!

mistlethrush Wed 05-Jun-13 13:23:33

Ice and a lemon?

Maat Wed 05-Jun-13 13:24:33

The baby looks like he is on an interview panel.

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jun-13 13:25:30

Ah so that's where the jumpy out pregnant woman has appeared from.

T'is annoying me tbh. Every time I go near 'threads I'm on' she jumps out at me!

itsonlysubterfuge Wed 05-Jun-13 13:30:25

The "talk" use to drop down and you could click on threads I'm on from the homepage, this is something I miss from the old site. I also don't like that for the very last drop down menu, I had to work out remember how to scroll left and right so I could actually click on the topic.

I do not like the spaghetti dog either. At least use a dog that doesn't look like a Mexican Hairless with fur. I like the idea of people submitting photos, we could all vote on which ones we liked best.

ICBINEG Wed 05-Jun-13 13:31:42

sorry - its a thumbs down from me....I liked that MN was so text based...

although I might change my mind if you used my cake photo for something <massively proud of recent gruffalo cake project>

ICBINEG Wed 05-Jun-13 13:33:13

hmmm in an attempt to be more constructive, the drop downs are just too BIG. You have to mouse too far to get rid of them....

moonbells Wed 05-Jun-13 13:42:58

Afternoon Ladies

I don't normally comment on site stuff (I just have Talk bookmarked so don't normally see things - just go straight there) but I went looking for the 'gurning pictures' and they nearly put me off my lunch.

Sorry. Twee. Ghastly. Yuk. <shiver>

Wish I hadn't gone looking now - can't unsee them!

Another vote for "Ugh! please remove!"

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jun-13 13:51:49

OK, I've just had my first 'pop up without me clicking on anything Persil baby massage advert'

That sort of stuff will have me leaving MN. I cannot stand those sorts of ads!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 13:52:57

Blatherskite

OK, I've just had my first 'pop up without me clicking on anything Persil baby massage advert'

That sort of stuff will have me leaving MN. I cannot stand those sorts of ads!

Where was that, Blatherskite? Doesn't sound right...

coppertop Wed 05-Jun-13 13:57:25

I'm not keen on the gurning photos but otherwise I like the changes.

As someone who still has the site set to MN Classic, this has surprised even me. shock

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jun-13 14:09:06

I'd clicked on a thread from the 'most popular' tab. 3 or 4 seconds after the page opened, the video appeared and started playing itself. I had to click to close it down to see the thread.

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jun-13 14:10:24

It was the "How did you get through transition?" thread and it did have the ad on that page at the time but I definitely did not click on it.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Jun-13 14:15:25

Wow ICBINEG; fantastic cake!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 14:19:21

ICBINEG

sorry - its a thumbs down from me....I liked that MN was so text based...

although I might change my mind if you used my cake photo for something <massively proud of recent gruffalo cake project>

OMG, you MADE that? <gobsmacked>

MonsterBookOfTyRexs Wed 05-Jun-13 14:23:05

ICBINEG Cake is marvellous, no wonder you are proud!

Just looked at the pics, sorry but the pregnant 'woman' looks like a 14 year old shock

Also I find them dropping down just really annoying, why change something perfect. sad

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 14:27:20

Blatherskite

I'd clicked on a thread from the 'most popular' tab. 3 or 4 seconds after the page opened, the video appeared and started playing itself. I had to click to close it down to see the thread.

Hmm. That should def not be happening. Can you click on the thread again and let me know if the same thing happens?

okay, so my DD for the baby, ICBINEG's Gruffalo cake for the food section smile

Maat Wed 05-Jun-13 14:39:30

You can have a picture of me at work rather than that 10 year old.

<old gimmer grumble>

Blatherskite Wed 05-Jun-13 14:45:36

I did Helen. It didn't but the advert wasn't on the page this time either.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 14:55:03

Blatherskite

I did Helen. It didn't but the advert wasn't on the page this time either.

OK. Let's hope it was a temporary glitch. If it happens to you again, please let us know pronto!

tribpot Wed 05-Jun-13 15:12:46

My previous post on a different thread: No visual indicator that you have new messages, until you hover (painfully) over the icon? I am staggered that MN could find a way to make the PM system worse than it already was, but - congratulations, you have.

I'm doing some user-centred design at work at the moment so this is really riling me, but can MN please (a) reverse this change and (b) consider putting a user group together in order to validate changes before they are shoved into live?

For MNers who do a lot of PMing in support of shared initiatives like Woolly Hugs (clue: a different persona from regular users) this change adds a significant overhead to managing the projects.

Rather than just try and address the individual concerns of the new look, could MN look at the way it engages with its users?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now