The new Navigation Bar (at t'top): the "official" thread

(324 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 10:21:49

Hello. There are ruddy millions quite a few threads in Site Stuff at the mo about changes/glitches/weirdy stuff related to the release of our new Navigation Bar (the big blue bar at the top of the page that helps you find all the various bits of Mumsnet).

So, for clarity's (and sanity's) sake, we're starting this thread to keep everything in one place - and have just one thread where you tell us what's not working for you and where we update you on what we've fixed/are fixing etc etc.

Right then...

A couple of quick answers/updates for you right now:

* The PM Inbox flag/blog/"you've got a PM" icon is now back. Apols for having inadvertently made it disappear.

* The jumpiness/flickiness of the Nav Bar in general: we're working on sorting this now - and hope to have a fix released by tomorrow.

* MyMumsnet: this will reappear on the Nav Bar at some point in the next three days or so. In the meantime, you can find MyMumsnet here.

* Keep me logged in. We're looking into this - and will update you soon.

Any more Qs/probs/moans/peans of praise (hopeful), do please post them here.

Owllady Wed 05-Jun-13 11:19:14

I have really bad PMT and they are annoying me so much that I want to slap the pregnant woman pulling a stupid face angry
I wouldn't slap her obviously as that would be very wrong

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:20:52

Owllady

I have really bad PMT and they are annoying me so much that I want to slap the pregnant woman pulling a stupid face angry
I wouldn't slap her obviously as that would be very wrong

It must be raspberry leaf tea in her cup. Hideous stuff. Just the sight of it was enough to send me into spontaneous labour...

LaRegina Wed 05-Jun-13 11:21:01

It is currently my PMT-free week but I still also want to slap her smile

Indith Wed 05-Jun-13 11:34:47

I don't like that I can't click straight onto threads I'm on from the homepage. You could before (I hope, either that or I'm going mad). Now you have to click on talk and then click through. Why does talk not get a little hover of its own with threads I'm on, I've started etc.

WHAT are you talking about "spaghetti dog"??? I can't see any pictures anywhere, neither of canines nor pasta nor either combined!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:40:20

Indith

I don't like that I can't click straight onto threads I'm on from the homepage. You could before (I hope, either that or I'm going mad). Now you have to click on talk and then click through. Why does talk not get a little hover of its own with threads I'm on, I've started etc.

Do you mean the actual homepage, Indith? Or the Talk homepage?

Don't think we've ever had links from the actual homepage to Threads I'm On. But there is a link on the Talk homepage - and every single other Talk page - to Threads I'm On: if you look below the Nav Bar, underneath the big black Mumsnet Talk, there are two lines of blue links and Threads I'm On is in the second line, second in from the left, next to Active.

Tee2072 Wed 05-Jun-13 11:43:12

Local link asks me to pick my local rather than remembering what it is.

Please consider this a formal complaint from MN Belfast. grin

SoupDragon Wed 05-Jun-13 11:48:03

I love spaghetti dog.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:52:34

Tee2072

Local link asks me to pick my local rather than remembering what it is.

Please consider this a formal complaint from MN Belfast. grin

shock And duly considered.

Indith Wed 05-Jun-13 11:52:46

The actual homepage Helen. I could have sworn on the old style you could hover over talk and it get onto threads or active or whatever from there.

There is of course the serious possibility that I have lost my marbles.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:57:33

Indith

The actual homepage Helen. I could have sworn on the old style you could hover over talk and it get onto threads or active or whatever from there.

There is of course the serious possibility that I have lost my marbles.

Oh, now you're making me doubt myself!

If it helps, you can get to Active from the homepage by clicking on the Active link in the middle of the line of links at the bottom of the Discussions of the Day box.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Jun-13 11:59:21

The menus drop down when moving the cursor over them, however briefly (ie passing over them from navigation bar to further down the page) This I find extremely irritating. The drop down menus are also too big and in your face and the "gurning" pictures cringey. Apart from spaghetti dog; he is cool grin

I'm with Indith though; if you hovered over talk from the homepage, there was a sub menu appeared previously and you could go straight to Threads I'm On. This doesn't happen now.

Don't like it much. Can we have an option to keep it the same as before, like having your settings to MN Classic?

Indith Wed 05-Jun-13 12:05:51

Oh good, I thought I was going mad.

I like the mini drop down menus of old, they didn't take up half your screen.

But as you say these new ones are a bit glitchy so we'll see what they are like in a bit but I may be following LackaDAISY there with demands for a classic option.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Jun-13 12:17:35

and another thing...I've just been scrolling through Threads I'm On, clicked on the one I wanted, but the position on my screen co-incided with the navigation bar position on the refreshed screen (iyswim) and I'm looking at the drop down menu for education which is all over the actual thread and in my face and annoying. and as it is so big and the navigation bar itself is big and I am on a little laptop, I keep hitting other menus when trying to get my cursor off the fecking drop down menu and I don't have time for this when I want to quickly check threads.

No like <stamps>

MrsBertMacklin Wed 05-Jun-13 12:19:42

My favourite of the stock photos is the doleful baby. Spaghetti dog is kind of repulsive, considering he's 'advertising' food. Can I suggest THIS instead.

Thanks for the update.

The baby looks like Jim Kerr from Simple Minds.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Jun-13 12:21:54

The lifestyle one takes up about 80% of my screen, so I have to move the cursor all the way over to the sides to get rid of it, or go up and round to avoid activating the others.

My MN repetitive strain injury is bad enough; I can see a legal suit coming your way if it gets worse from all the additional scrolling wink

mistlethrush Wed 05-Jun-13 12:30:47

I could swear that I'm getting the drop downs flashing up even when my mouse hasn't been (that) near. Particularly common is the 'offers' one that doesn't seem to have a home so hovers underneath 'pregnancy' and around 'talk' of 'Mumsnet talk' - why is this one here and how are you meant to find it if you don't know that it is there (apart from when you hit 'threads I am on and it decides to pop up anyway). At least the pop downs are going away again quickly now - but having clickable ones would be preferable.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Jun-13 12:33:52

I hate the pictures, especially the scary bunches girl, gurning pregnancy lady and stereotypical brainy child.

I hate that I keep seeing the pictures and drop-down boxes taking up over half my screen every time I move my cursor in the near vicinity of the bar.

If anyone looked at my internet history they would assume I was pregnant. I am not, it just seems every time I try and click on threads I'm on, the way I do it activates the pregnancy drop down box and then when I click what I think is "Threads I'm On" it is actually the antenatal groups. It gives me the rage.

MrsDeVere Wed 05-Jun-13 12:36:23

OMG doh!
I have just spent ages trying to get out of PMs and on to Threads I am on.

That bloody pregnant woman kept getting in the way.

You know what you have done, don't you?

You have made MN more like Netmums.

It'll be primary colours and tickers yes please you mark my words

i think you should change to the picture on "baby" to my DD.
she's much cuter.

actually, maybe you could have a competition for us to submit a better picture that sums up the topics?

i could provide a small (book...) prize to the winners (the real prize would be their picture on the flicky bit)

MrsBertMacklin Wed 05-Jun-13 12:42:46

Surely no-one can beat the dog photo I've suggested for Food? It's a dog in a beret, how do you top that?

Betcha glad to be back, eh, Helen?

I'll bet there's a dent in your desk.

<<passes Helen cool pack for forehred>>

BOF Wed 05-Jun-13 12:54:16

I haven't noticed any difference- mine looks pretty much the same as it's always done confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now