The new Navigation Bar (at t'top): the "official" thread

(324 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-13 10:21:49

Hello. There are ruddy millions quite a few threads in Site Stuff at the mo about changes/glitches/weirdy stuff related to the release of our new Navigation Bar (the big blue bar at the top of the page that helps you find all the various bits of Mumsnet).

So, for clarity's (and sanity's) sake, we're starting this thread to keep everything in one place - and have just one thread where you tell us what's not working for you and where we update you on what we've fixed/are fixing etc etc.

Right then...

A couple of quick answers/updates for you right now:

* The PM Inbox flag/blog/"you've got a PM" icon is now back. Apols for having inadvertently made it disappear.

* The jumpiness/flickiness of the Nav Bar in general: we're working on sorting this now - and hope to have a fix released by tomorrow.

* MyMumsnet: this will reappear on the Nav Bar at some point in the next three days or so. In the meantime, you can find MyMumsnet here.

* Keep me logged in. We're looking into this - and will update you soon.

Any more Qs/probs/moans/peans of praise (hopeful), do please post them here.

surely if there's an Advanced Search, you need a Simple Search?

I shall request one.

And expect one.

[persuasivesmile]

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Jun-13 22:58:52

ChaosTrulyReigns

surely if there's an Advanced Search, you need a Simple Search?

I shall request one.

And expect one.

[persuasivesmile]

Yep, Simple Search is in the big blank box with a magnifying glass and a big blue blob with Search on it, right up at the top, to the left of MyMumsnet.

<bright customer-services smile>

nenevomito Wed 12-Jun-13 22:58:57

<cries>

<goes back to singing at her laptop>

Fanks.

nenevomito Wed 12-Jun-13 23:00:25

I've never used the purple button before. I'd never even noticed the purple button before. I've always clicked on the thingy under the doowhacky.

Oh god I am turning into a computer user.

That's more complex, you gurt tweedle.

It searches the WholeUniverse.

Advanced search only searches within the walls of MN.

So you've got it topsy-turvy.

You need to kick Tech.

<<adds doowhacky to fabulous verandah>>

nenevomito Wed 12-Jun-13 23:05:36

<adds gurt tweedle to list of names to yell at pigeon man>

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Jun-13 23:05:54

ChaosTrulyReigns

That's more complex, you gurt tweedle.

It searches the WholeUniverse.

Advanced search only searches within the walls of MN.

So you've got it topsy-turvy.

You need to kick Tech.

What do you want Simple Search to search then? <huffs slightly at being a tweedle>

Or do you mean like my DH's searches? As in, "I can't find the car key. I've looked everywhere within 5cm and not even that properly because it's in my jeans pocket in actual fact "

nenevomito Wed 12-Jun-13 23:08:54

DH's searches are thorough, so long as they don't involve looking under anything or more than 2 paces from the original search zone.

Actually Chaos, is gurt tweedle a term of endearment as I'd hate to use it out of context grin.

Tweedle is a massive trem of endearment.

It has to be earned.

That's ManSearching, Helen.

It's a joy to behold.

<<is threadspired>>

nenevomito Wed 12-Jun-13 23:15:52

In which case I shall not be yelling it at pigeon man. The only thing he's earning is my utter loathing.

You need Buppy for those sort of things.

I'm far too PollyAnna.

lies

ICBINEG Thu 13-Jun-13 00:18:05

oh you dirty dirty rip off merchants....that 'simple' search is powered by google...and it doesn't say so....isn't that like illegal or something?

tbh the whole search thing is bad news. It doesn't return hits in chronological order or anything, so you get this random mess back....

Sorry I think my language skills are collapsing...writing 'dirty dirty' made me think of Mal 'you dirty dirty whore' Reynolds and I have become strangely distracted...

Ill be in my bunk.

mistlethrush Thu 13-Jun-13 08:37:00

The Talk button moves into the correct location when you've got the zoom at 50% or 90%+. I normally have MN at 75% on this screen - plenty big enough. 50% is too small though, and 90% is too large. It doesn't particularly worry me - it might be worse on phones or something?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:01:40

ICBINEG

oh you dirty dirty rip off merchants....that 'simple' search is powered by google...and it doesn't say so....isn't that like illegal or something?

tbh the whole search thing is bad news. It doesn't return hits in chronological order or anything, so you get this random mess back....

Sorry I think my language skills are collapsing...writing 'dirty dirty' made me think of Mal 'you dirty dirty whore' Reynolds and I have become strangely distracted...

Ill be in my bunk.

Try using the Advanced Search, ICBINEG. It's a little less random.

Will check about signposting the Google Search better.

nenevomito Thu 13-Jun-13 15:31:04

It says powered by Google if you click on search and it says powered by Google when it returns results if you use the search field. That's all it needs to do and its not illegal at all.

nenevomito Thu 13-Jun-13 15:33:32

If you're using the enterprise search - which I'm guessing a big business like MN is - then you don't have to use any google branding at all.

ICBINEG Thu 13-Jun-13 20:12:30

<still in my bunk>

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 15-Jun-13 16:11:46

ICBINEG

<still in my bunk>

Oh ICBINEG, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Sorry I haven't anything helpful to say about the Google issue - but I swear by my pretty floral bonnet we will get you an answer.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 16-Jun-13 11:52:21

I love the thumbs up girl .... Shes a dude!

ICBINEG Mon 17-Jun-13 19:19:31

You may call it an answer...but I call it your grave!

ICBINEG Mon 17-Jun-13 19:20:18

ermm actually thats going to make a closed loop...oh well...an infinite loop of firefly is actually not such an awful thing....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now