Want to be a Mumsnet Local Editor? Step this way ...

(64 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 12:23:37

Mumsnet Local is growing all the time and we're on the look out for Mumsnetters who'd like to get involved in the project as Local Editors. Are you enthusiastic about where you live, keen on sharing the joy with other parents in your area - and looking for an excuse to spend even more time on Mumsnet? Then Mumsnet needs YOU.

What would you need to do? Well, the short answer is that we want each Local site to be the place where parents can get all the essential information and advice that they need about their neighbourhood from the experts - that is, the other parents who live there. We ask our Local Editors to be responsible for growing and nurturing their community by adding and editing listings, building a group of Local Ambassadors who organise regular meet-ups, and getting the word out in their area - and in return, have the right to sell advertising on the site to local businesses and keep 100% of the revenue.

That's the short answer. For the long one, please email local@mumsnet.com with 'interested in becoming a Local Editor' in the subject field, and we'll get back to you as soon as ever we can.

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 13:38:36

Do it! Doooo it! We are a very cool (and manic and a bit crazy) group.

Joooiiinnnn uuusssss....

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 13:53:51

Is it really 100% or isn't it actually going to be taxable as income? Sorry to ask this dull question blush

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 13:56:28

It's taxable as income if you make more than the threshold, WouldBe. You act as self employed.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 13:59:52

I see!

FattyMcChubster Tue 21-May-13 15:11:55

Tee is it good? And is it fairly easy to get to grips with?

depends on your familiarity with sales and social media but it's fun if you like that kind of thing. And very flexible hours

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 15:27:26

I think so fatty. We work hard and help each other out.

If you Tweet, join us tonight and meet some of the LEs 8-9 #MNLocal chat. We are discussing cafes tonight.

Emma, I've emailed you. N

Tee, I will join if I may grin

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 15:57:45

Absolutely, everyone is invited! grin

Ooooh how exciting, have emailed.

I've sent in an email.

It's the sort of thing I'd love to be a part of, but at the moment I'm not sure whether or not I'd have the skills to do it

Of course it also depends whether your area is in need of a local editor <gets territorial and bristly>

MakesCakes....indeed wouldn't want to step on anyones toes!

However my area is so vast, geographically, we could carve it up easily for ease of administration.

ballstoit Tue 21-May-13 16:51:40

I've emailed...I'm already running a business which works with parents and this could be a great way to boost my income as my business grows.

How many hours a week are current local editors putting in?

LoopyLooplaHoop Tue 21-May-13 16:53:15

Is there a local abroad section yet please MNHQ?

HoneyDragon Tue 21-May-13 16:59:24

Tee

How good with social media? I have not yet embraced twitter. But I bloody love my town, and we'd like this.

mrscog Tue 21-May-13 17:00:35

Emma - I sent my agreement back yesterday, hope you got it smile

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 17:05:51

Honey You definitely need to use Twitter. It's the best way most of us are finding to connect with businesses, even better than the phone or walking in the door. Also Facebook is being used effectively the same way.

Ballstoit how long is a piece of string? Some of us have other jobs so we LE at night and as we can and others of us do nothing but LE stuff. I do somewhere in the middle.

HoneyDragon Tue 21-May-13 17:19:51

Fine with FB. Right have applied and Tee. I am sorry but if I succeed I will need you devote 10 minutes into giving me a crash course in Tweeting. I will bribe you whilst smiling winsomely if it helps?

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 17:25:26

Doesn't it depend on your area, Tee? Here I don't think many businesses have their own website or use Twitter much.

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 17:25:49

We all help each other, Honey! We even do webinars and things using Google Hangout. In fact I'm doing one tomorrow about Facebook. grin

HoneyDragon Tue 21-May-13 17:27:14

I love you Tee.

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 17:32:03

Instant insincere popularity, Honey. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now