you are deleting too many threads and posts

(77 Posts)
KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 13:05:47

For no good reason that I can see. It never used to be this zealous, please explain. It's getting tedious and anything even slightly controversial and interesting to discuss is being deleted. I am concerned we are going to be left with a site full of the same few boring subjects.

I have been asked to bring this subject over to here.

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 21:41:01

I suspect it's probably a bit of both, Porto.

TwoFourSixOhOne Thu 16-May-13 21:41:53

I used to have a nemesis. That was fun. We did auditions for the job.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 21:56:06

There seems to be a huge lot of potentially made up stuff on MN at the mo, so I am not all surprised that many old mnetters are very self selecting about where and what they post. I mean if you take out the "baby" related threads, we are talking AIBU, chat and relationships where most of us with older children would congregate. I post in Travel a lot, and living overseas.

Discount potentially dodgy threads, and heck, we all end up on those "is this going to be a bun fight" type ones. On a day filled with threads on BLW, shall I POAS, my MIL is a cunt, is it any wonder we all end up on the same slightly conterversial but vaguely interesting looming thread?

ProtegeMoi Thu 16-May-13 21:57:41

Not got a clue about deletions but I'm joining in and saying PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the pound sign on the app, its driving me mad!

hollyisalovelyname Thu 16-May-13 23:09:38

Yes Helenmumsnet . On the mobile site.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 11:28:06

Hello. We're afraid the pound sign - and the emoticons - on the app are glitches we're already aware of but are still trying to get fixed.

We are on it, honest, but it's complicated. Hope you can bear with us.

Some of you who are finding the app unlive-able with in its current state might find the mobile version of the site easier to use in the meantime.

CherylTrole Fri 17-May-13 23:35:12

I do find MN very cliquey, always have done. There are a few posters who dont need a gang and wing it happily on their own. I find them more approachable/ easier/ nicer to converse with. But cliques or not I really dont mind as I take posters as I find them.

Portofino Sat 18-May-13 17:47:38

I don't do cliques really, though I appreciate others really enjoy them. It makes me cross though on he odd instance where a clique comes on a thread they don't like and derail it completely. I agree with LaQueen that It can be like being back at school at times. I am mid forties, peri-menopausal and bolshy. I maybe say what I think and am not polite or sensitive at times. If I get it really wrong, I am usually happy to apologise and not run away and hide. I have learnt a lot through the MN cut and thrust, particularly about feminism, the difficulties faced by parents of sn children etc which have totally changed my views.

LaQueen Sat 18-May-13 18:01:47

I completely agree with you Porto. I dislike cliques, and don't belong in any of them, so far as I can tell hmm

I'm in my 40s now, and can't be arsed with them...but, even as a girl of 14, I found them pointless, and often petty. An attitude which led to me being sent to Coventry, for weeks, by the other girls in my class. It didn't bother me unduly [shrugs]

I say what I mean, and mean what I say. Sometimes it offends, sometimes it amuses. But, I don't think I'm ever deliberately spiteful, or petty on MN (or IRL) and I don't harbour grudges, or flounce, or hide.

I just think life is too short to get dragged down into all that crap. I'll happily hotly disagree with someone on one thread...then 3 days later, I'll happily hotly defend them on another.

I come on MN to relax, have some fun, read a few interesting things, have a good debate. I don't come on MN to split hairs, update my spreadsheet for nefarious purposes, deliberately goad, or nit-pick, or target. It's just not my bag smile

Like you I've learned a lot through MN, and on the odd occasion when I wander from AIBU/Chat it does open your eyes to an awful lot, and perhaps helps you understand a bit better, how and why people post, what they do.

LaQueen Sat 18-May-13 18:02:54

Ahem...actually I was a fully paid up member of the Richard Armitage Appreciation Society, on MN...but, I think that's perfectly understandable wink

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 18:10:15

Going back to the posts about trolls, and why they do it.
I think they are lonely people, very lonely.
If they had a non lonely life, they wouldnt do it would they?

Portofino Sat 18-May-13 18:42:58

I think the Internet has opened up all sorts of possibilities to attention seekers, people with true mh problems and those who fancy themselves as writers.

Portofino Sat 18-May-13 18:44:09

I could blame no one for being part of a RA appreciation society.

NetworkGuy Sat 18-May-13 20:35:17

"is it like at school, when you get that group of hissy girls in the corner, too uptight, resentful and embittered..."

I suspect a fair number of trolls are male, hairy armpits and dragging their knuckles, thinking they can poke fun and not be spotted as fools, out to provoke. Hence the discussion which might take place on another site, and a bit of back slapping before the thread on MN is pulled... (or left, with suitable "bunch of wankers" comments from those who identified the situation immediately and perhaps played along for a while).

NetworkGuy Sat 18-May-13 20:35:30

Ilikethebreeze - not sure what it was I heard the other day (kitchen radio generally on BBC R4 or Five Live, but it could have been my phone with TuneIn radio app)... Some young woman who was being interviewed, described by interviewer as a troll.

Seems it is sometimes not the case of loneliness, but like some groups of hackers, being able to post and get some kudos from their peer group when they either select a 'target' or link to some thread they started. I got the impression the interviewer was somewhat dumbfounded. If I can find what it was, I will post a link.

flanbase Sat 18-May-13 20:40:51

Portofino - you wrote "I think the Internet has opened up all sorts of possibilities to attention seekers, people with true mh problems and those who fancy themselves as writers." I don't agree with your classification on mental health problems as it is so disrespect for those with mental health issues. How can you put it with attention seekers and writers.

Portofino Sat 18-May-13 21:06:34

I am not meaning to demean mh problems, but sometimes people post and they have issues MN cannot help with. I don't mean to disrespect anyone at all. Fair point not to lump it together, but I was talking groups of people.

girliefriend Sat 18-May-13 21:21:40

I don't understand the mn cliques either, I definitely don't belong to one and I don't understand it but then again I am eaisly confused

Is that what the nobdies threads are for?

Also find the dating thread very cliquey, I posted on there once and was totally ignored which is fine but kind of made me want to start another thread for people dating who aren't in the clique of the dating thread thread grin

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 21:31:19

I dont think the nobdies are a clique at all. I popped in there for a few days, several months ago, and they were very welcoming indeed.
Didnt mind me popping in and out or leaving. they seem to have an open door policy.

Dont know about the dating thread.
Why dont you start a new one. See what happens?

Ilikethebreeze Sat 18-May-13 21:32:35

NetworkGuy, I would like to listen to the link if you can find it. thanks.

flanbase Sat 18-May-13 21:34:10

Thanks for explaining Portofino

hollyisalovelyname Sun 19-May-13 06:49:11

Thank you Helenmumsnet but it's a long time a fixin smile

LaQueen Sun 19-May-13 12:02:29

I have tried to escape the University of Milton threads, many a time...but, they keep sucking me back in, by cunningly posting links of RA smouldering, in black leather trews and body armour...what's a girl to do hmm

LaQueen Sun 19-May-13 12:06:18

But, joshing aside - I don't think that the trolls necessarily have any MH issues, or are even especially lonely/have no life etc.

I think it's often, just as network says, or even just very simply, that there are plenty of people who (if you met them IRL, would be perfectly normal and nice) are quite insensitive, and just use MH in quite a blithe manner, with little thought to the consequences of their posts.

TwoFourSixOhOne Sun 19-May-13 12:43:15

Yes, LaC, I think you are completely correct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now