you are deleting too many threads and posts

(77 Posts)
KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 13:05:47

For no good reason that I can see. It never used to be this zealous, please explain. It's getting tedious and anything even slightly controversial and interesting to discuss is being deleted. I am concerned we are going to be left with a site full of the same few boring subjects.

I have been asked to bring this subject over to here.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-13 16:03:39

LadyBeagleEyes

Am I the only one who is dying to know who that PBP is?
Is it Mitmoo?

It's always Mitmoo... wink

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 18:41:23

Do people really post something, deliberately, hoping that it will goad a reaction from specific posters...which in turn will warrant reactive posts from other specific posters...

Because, that sounds just a wee bit creepy...and far fetched? Like we're all dancing on invisible strings, or something?

So......on the scruffy children thread, the thread ran for a lot of pages with it all being quite civilised and circumspect, so clearly the OP wasn't getting the kerfuffle they hoped for...

So...when it all suddenly, in the space of half a page descended into a bun-fest, had the OP decided to pull a few more strings, to get the desired results hmm

Because, surely no one is that manipulative, or adept. I can't believe that.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 18:45:21

I don't think it was the op that made the thread turn into a bunfight, but you could argue that the op knows their audience and knows who might rock up to make that happen. So yes, definitely manipulated.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 16-May-13 18:54:30

LaQueen, I think it's doable, only because the OP's on those threads are obviously starting off with an agenda and the rest of us take each thread or at least the majority of as genuine.

It's bloody boring and creepy and I just think do they really, genuinely have nothing better to do with their time? trust me, if all else fails, a day of masturbating is wayyyy much more fun shock

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 19:19:10

You're possibly right, then Porto - harking back, the OP didn't contribute to the thread, much past the first page - but, that doesn't mean they weren't contributing in other ways, I suppose.

I have learned, that as much goes on behind MN, as does actually on the threads themselves.

But, if what you say is right, what does the OP actually gain from doing all of it? They derive a sense of... what exactly?

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 19:22:31

Probably Itsall - I think MN is a many layered cake, and while most of us are happy to just lick the icing, and nibble the sugar roses on top...there are people, who like to dig...waaaaaaaay down deep, where it all gets a bit sticky, and murky, and greasy.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 16-May-13 19:29:16

Sorry, what's a PBP?

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 16-May-13 19:29:51

Duh, previously banned person/poster?

hollyisalovelyname Thu 16-May-13 19:34:03

Helen any chance you'll get the pound sign working on the mobile site. It's been bonkers since you changed the emocions. You said you'd fix it. Months now!!!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-13 19:34:54

hollyisalovelyname

Helen any chance you'll get the pound sign working on the mobile site. It's been bonkers since you changed the emocions. You said you'd fix it. Months now!!!

Do you mean on the app, hollyisalovelyname?

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 16-May-13 19:36:39

LaQ - that sounds quite extremely, very, disturbingly ominous.

I can't imagine why anyone would be doing that but I'm probably just a dick ha!

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 20:05:07

There are lots of MN haters. There are other forums where they encourage people to post stuff and then laugh at all the responses. People get off on getting a reaction.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 20:07:08

I have a very good memory and a mental spreadsheet. grin

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 16-May-13 20:10:01

There are lots of MN haters. There are other forums where they encourage people to post stuff and then laugh at all the responses. People get off on getting a reaction.

shock what a bunch of utter wankers bores! grin

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 20:30:48

But...but...why don't they just have fun, on their own site. Or, just roll up their sleeves, and join MN properly...and have fun.

I don't get it [feels frustrated]

Oh, hang on - is it like at school, when you get that group of hissy girls in the corner, too uptight, resentful and embittered to akcherly relax enough to enjoy themselves, and have a good time...so get their kicks by sneering at those girls, who were larking about, and having a laugh?

Because I remember those sorta of girls hmm

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 20:32:55

Neither can I Itsall, but then I is lazy, me. It all sounds too much like hardwork.

Especially, when you could be frollicking on MN instead, drinking tea and opening a new bag of Minstrels...

[opens new bag of Minstrels...]

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 16-May-13 20:40:35

There are an awful lot of twats on MN TBF.
But far less so than I see on other sites.
So I don't understand why they come on here to mock as this is still the most intelligent and funniest website available IMO.
The threads they start will get the frothers out, and sadly they usually believe what they're saying.

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 20:44:44

I agree Lady.

I was already a Forums veteran of 10 years, before I discovered Mumsnet.

It's still, by far, the fastest moving, funniest, most insightful, most intelligent site I've ever found smile

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 16-May-13 21:01:40

And the forum with the most 'draw' IYSWIM? I genuinely have a good time on here, much to my DP's amusement when I'm hooked on a thread.

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 21:11:07

What's so good about it, is that it's so big that it can be quite anonymous, and also quite intimate, too.

I love the fact, you can lose yourself in 101 threads, if you want. But, then you might happen across a thread, recognise 3 or 4 names, and suddenly it's like bumping into your mates in a cafe, somewhere smile

I don't like the games-playing, and the hidden agendas, and the spread-shitting (or should that be spread-sheeting?), and the petty sniping...that goes on. And on.

If people want to do that, then it's fair enough - but it's not my bag, and to carry on having a good time, is the best defence.

TwoFourSixOhOne Thu 16-May-13 21:13:26

I love a well informed spreadsheet.

I'm an immersive MNer. It's all good fun.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 21:21:52

But LaQueen, for example, I have made comments about stuff you have posted, which I think to be excessive/rude/generalisations and generally you come back with talk of "usual suspects" so presumably you believe that I don't have my own opinions and rely on an underground network of spies. I for one, don't have any hidden agenda.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 21:24:11

I think I know who towfoursix is though and she DOES have a spreadsheet wink

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 21:29:40

I would always support anyone's right, to state their opinion Porto, even if it was detrimental to me, I would still defend their right to do so.

But, that doesn't preclude my also observing, that I appear to have a cohort of Usual Suspects, too, who kinda tend to appear within minutes of each other, on the same threads...time, and again.

If I see it happening, I'll sometimes call it, if I can be bothered. But, as most people know I'm on MN to have fun, not get bogged down in lots of hassle and throw a strop. Just not my style.

But, it's not just me. I watch it happening to several other MN-etters, who appear to have their own Usual Suspects/Haterz, too.

Portofino Thu 16-May-13 21:37:15

Is that not posters attracted to the same threads though? So you get the same people posting? I have posted on the Amanda Knox threads for example. Tends to be the same posters with a few newbies. Not a conspiracy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now