Colour code zombie threads?

(136 Posts)
quoteunquote Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:00

I unwittingly contributed to a thread that had for some reason (best known to the person that did it),been resuscitated,

Could you add, a colour bar where the title is, or on the side, that indicates how old a thread is, blue for current, green a week old, yellow a month, orange six, and red year and beyond,

Then people would be instantly aware when joining in with a thread as to when it was started, as clearly a lot of us don't spot the year when on these threads, and some times people carefully choose threads that the day and month match to resuscitate.

Anyway it would be a simple way of stopping the annoying problem, and for people like the person who started the thread in the above link, they wouldn't have to have something they probably rather forget jump out at them, I hope the OP of that thread is happy now.

quoteunquote Tue 21-May-13 23:15:16

We can distinguish the most differences in greens, comes from when we went gathering our food, so we "see' more greens than the other colours.

He already cannot see the difference between blue and purple at all

well no art school for him then.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 22-May-13 15:50:53

aaaaaaand here's another one

It's in Relationships and appears to have been resurrected by a fruitloop

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 22-May-13 16:39:35

Update: aforementioned fruitloop has now said that this is part of a research project - he looks at 20 threads per day and shares his findings with a 'group'!

Definitely time for colour-coding imo.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-May-13 17:17:58

BoreOfWhabylon

Update: aforementioned fruitloop has now said that this is part of a research project - he looks at 20 threads per day and shares his findings with a 'group'!

Definitely time for colour-coding imo.

Thanks for the heads-up. We'll take a look.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 22-May-13 17:30:28

Thanks Helen [Grin]

(I did report him on the thread and I may have been a little bit goady but all in a good cause )

quoteunquote Wed 22-May-13 20:58:44

thought about the point that soupdragon made, just break up the line around the box(add your message here), the bigger the gaps the older the thread, so over a year like the above will be dots.

but still do the colours as it will be really helpful for most people.

quoteunquote Sat 01-Jun-13 00:04:01
YoniBottsBumgina Mon 03-Jun-13 09:27:16

I can't understand forums which don't let you start new threads about some topic which was discussed once in 2003. A fresh perspective is great!

quoteunquote Mon 03-Jun-13 10:03:42

I agree, Information changes, I think a fresh perspective is great, and some threads quite rightly should continue over time,

I just think that it would be nice that when old threads are bumped often by miscreants, people don't end up adding to a thread that is years out of date, some of the threads bumped are hurtful to the original OP, it can't be very nice to see one of your old threads bumped.

MardyBra Mon 03-Jun-13 12:34:01

I think colour coding is a great idea.

MardyBra Mon 03-Jun-13 12:35:04

It doesn't even have to be complicated. Just a spot of red for anything here the op is over a few months old or summat.

quoteunquote Tue 18-Jun-13 12:00:37

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1671713-to-be-so-bothered-by-reborn-dolls-and-this-ebay-situation?msgid=39760706#39760706

Zombie threads all over the place.

if I bump this thread and people see it on active then they may check the OP date on threads today, I still forget and it clearly annoys me.

If we do do colour coding, please explain the colours there and then.
Bumping is often done by newbies who don't know the "mumsnet way".

MissStrawberry Fri 28-Jun-13 19:18:20

I just started a thread with the same suggestion today grin.

quoteunquote Fri 28-Jun-13 19:38:19

So Misssssss Strawberry is my thread not good enough for you.

shock
sad
angry
grin

Did anyone ever tell you MissStrawberry you are a genius.

quoteunquote Fri 28-Jun-13 20:02:01

Another problem with zombie threads is the sense of Déjà vu you get, people could end up superstitious. grin

It is worth bumping one the "how do we avoid inadvertently posting on a zombie thread" when you spot one, then anyone who uses active conversations gets a heads up to be cautious.

MissStrawberry Fri 28-Jun-13 20:05:24

I am so very very sorry

I didn't see your thread

great minds think alike

MissStrawberry Fri 28-Jun-13 20:06:18

I spent ages reading a worrying one today to find out it was years old and there was no update.

quoteunquote Sat 29-Jun-13 16:44:52
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 29-Jun-13 18:09:37

Hello. Thanks for all your posts.

We'll put our zombie-thread thinking caps on. (Or should that be rucksacks?)

quoteunquote Sun 04-Aug-13 19:16:58

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1664229-Should-you-clean-the-house-youre-moving-out-of

just a bump of this zombie thread to point out they are around again, can't believe I read right through one, someone had put zombie thread, but I didn't want to give it another bump.

OH, hows the thinking coming on MNHQ?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Aug-13 10:59:02

quoteunquote

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1664229-Should-you-clean-the-house-youre-moving-out-of

just a bump of this zombie thread to point out they are around again, can't believe I read right through one, someone had put zombie thread, but I didn't want to give it another bump.

OH, hows the thinking coming on MNHQ?

Still working on it! Promise to update you all when we're closer to something concrete. We def haven't forgotten, though.

quoteunquote Mon 05-Aug-13 13:47:23

thanks, it really would help.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Aug-13 16:22:43

Right. We have released a solution for this. Hope you like it.

STERN NOTE: this is not permission to go around making zombie threads. Anyone who does will be severely walloped round the head with an OF rucksack.

FancyPuffin Fri 09-Aug-13 16:36:32

I love it!!!

<Bows down to MNHQ genius>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now