You should have an 'Introduce Yourself' Section.

(23 Posts)
pofacedlemonsucker Sun 12-May-13 17:24:08

It's too big for 'introduce yourself' bollocks anyway. If you want to get all rl, post on local. Or stalk people via their profiles.

IslaValargeone Sun 12-May-13 16:05:30

I love the fact that there's none of that introduce yourself malarkey.
I went on a different site a while ago where the introduction was expected but it led to too much nosiness.
Where do you live? what's your inside leg measurement? blah blah blah. Far too insular and cliquey.
Here you just dive in and nobody cares who you are, it's great.

FruOla Sun 12-May-13 15:59:51

HK. I'm sure you're really nice. Just get yourself out of posting in Site Stuff all the time and join in any thread - anywhere smile

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 11-May-13 20:55:00

Hi there HK

We're not aware of having deleted any of your threads. Do you mean this one? Cos if so, it's very much still there wink

Thanks for all the compliments about MN flowers We certainly haven't written you off at all!

pofacedlemonsucker Sat 11-May-13 13:46:01

grin
I think the point is, we've all been jolly friendly to kes over the last two weeks.

(No reason not to be)

And yet, he's still making a big thing about being new and begging for acceptance.

Kes, honey, you were accepted fine two weeks ago. You're an old hand now. No need to keep banging the drum about how different you are. No one cares. Just carry on posting.

MardyBra Sat 11-May-13 11:13:58

Why did your thread get deleted? There's nothing controversial in saying MN is great.

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 11:13:46

nono nono i hate those , v naff

MardyBra Sat 11-May-13 11:12:06

And there's no "inner circle" afaik. Some people think there is one, but there are regulars and not so regulars.

Fenton Sat 11-May-13 11:07:20

That's not very friendly lemonsucker.

All welcome HK, there is really one rule only, - don't be an arse.

smile

pofacedlemonsucker Sat 11-May-13 04:56:35

It's really bad form to ignore a post from mnhq for two weeks and then crawl back and kiss ass though. Kinda pointless and way needy. You're already at home, why bump a dead thread? confused

thistlelicker Sat 11-May-13 04:14:10

Hey! :-) I find the best way to be on here is impulsive :-)

SavoyCabbage Sat 11-May-13 04:07:51

Hello, I like your name. Don't worry about feeling introduced. Just jump in. You definitely don't have to be a woman or a parent or straight. grin there are hundreds of people on here and everyone has such different experiences . That's one of the best things about it. It would be a bit shit if everyone thought in the same way and agreed with each other.

I love MN. I think it's very supportive and I like the fact that huge issues are discussed along side the best place to buy name tapes.

HoveringKestrel Sat 11-May-13 02:34:14

Hi Kate,

I've been on mumsnet quite a few weeks now, and I'm of the obvious disability that I'm neither straight nor a parent, but I've tried to ask questions in the forum which enspire answers.

I love this website. Although it is deleted now I posted a thread on how great mumsnet is.

I'm a 25yr gay male unhappy with how his life has turned out thus far. I want to contribute to your site, if you will let me. I have had the terrible childhood and I'm even to this day having a relationship where I have to constantly find be the 'happy gay'.

I hope you will consider me as a person who is not written off and worth within the inner circle x

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 18:31:47

Oh yes, I remember, 5318008 - enough lead in that balloon to roof a hundred old churches grin

OP, just come along and post where you want to. Nobody will do an advanced search, realise it's your first post and say 'who are you, anyway???'

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 18:26:47

Me too. Tbh I rarely look at who is posting anyway, unless it's something really outrageous grin

usualsuspect Tue 30-Apr-13 18:26:05

People name change so often it's a bit pointless having an introduce yourself topic.

MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 18:21:21

With all the namechangers I just tend to assume everyone is a regular unless they state otherwise.

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 18:19:10

Hello OP some folk start their own ' I'm new ' thread which is a good way to say hello or just dive in and start posting smile

Flobbadobs Tue 30-Apr-13 12:01:40

Just popped over to suggest this smile

YoniMeKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:40

Hullo all,

This has been suggested a few times, but we think on balance it's best and easier if people start a thread in chat introducing themselves, as 5318008 said.

Welcome HoveringKestrel! MNers are very friendly folks and will be happy to help you settle in

<lays our brew and biscuit>

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 27-Apr-13 22:47:41

HK, best to lurk for a while and then start somewhere non scary, like Chat,

I see you've gone straight for AIBU, though grin

5318008 Sat 27-Apr-13 22:46:17

hmmmmmm [thinking face on]

a few things spring to mind:

with customisable topics, I'm not sure that everyone would opt to have a Ta-Dahh* section, and poor newbie creeping in, starting an intro only to be tumbleweed, awwwwww

a thread in chat saying Hi I'm NEW is enough to elicit welcomes

we like posters to just jump on in, to be brave and launch themselves

*remember Ta-Dahh woman (this is to Oldies) oh my GAWD let's not hurhurhur

HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 22:24:33

I know a lot of people who have had a lot of reassurance ffrom this site, but they were too scared to start a topic about their problem and didn't feel introduced enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now