A wee change in the rules re Blogposts on Talk

(77 Posts)
JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 10:50:38

Hello, hello,
As you may know, Mumsnet has a thriving Bloggers Network, which happily, many Talk regulars are part of. (Join up now if you're not and you'd like to be!)

Until now, we have specifically asked members of our Bloggers Network not to post links to their blogs on Talk (outside the Bloggers Talk topic) but that does feel a bit mad given folks are linking out all the time to relevant sources and many blogposts are directly relevant to and will enhance the discussions taking place on the site. So this is a heads up that we're relaxing the rule a bit to let MN Bloggers link to their blogs where the subject matter is relevant.

Obviously relevancy is key - this doesn't mean we're going to allow a spam free for all and certainly we'll advise bloggers that this is a discussion forum - so posting a link and running is not ideal - and that blatant, relentless self-promotion isn't on.

Whilst everyone's getting the hang of it we'd ask for a little bit of give and take from all sides [pretty please] and, as ever, we're open to your thoughts and suggestions, so please do feel free to post any here.

Many thanks.

fieldsomewhere Tue 04-Jun-13 21:42:32

Think this is a good idea.

IsBella Sun 26-May-13 12:19:41

Viz trill's question, the best solution is to carry on the conversation under your blogger name, but then what happens if you've already started the convo under your other MN name and then want to post your blog?

(As I jsut did? blush)

Sorry, I'll try not to do that, it's just that I'd started talking and then got wound up and wrote a blog post because I couldn't rant all I wanted to on the thread. grin

healthfreakanna Thu 23-May-13 17:58:08

sounds great smile

olgaga Fri 03-May-13 01:32:54

Fame at last for Huggy then. I'll see if he's available for a photoshoot this weekend grin.

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-May-13 16:07:41

DD's bear is fine, Olgaga grin

AnyFucker Germany Wed 01-May-13 22:15:10

This is great HQ, thank you

The Survive Separation blog is something that is very useful and to not be able to link to it directly just didn't make sense to me

olgaga Mon 29-Apr-13 15:07:58

Just got a v nice email from y'all smile.

As my blog and identity here and on MN are anonymous, I take it I can submit a photo of my DD's bear or something rather than myself!?

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:23:02

olgaga

I tried to join the bloggers network (twice) with my Survive Separation advice and links blog but MNHQ ignored me!

Yikes, Olgaga - we're looking into this and will email you shortly.

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:21:53

newpencilcase

Justine - re: signalling you're a blogger.

I have a name I use connected to my blog, which I use in some (non-blog related) talk boards but also have another name which I use when I want to be anonymous.

I would like to be able to keep that option without it flagging up a Bloggers' badge b

Don't worry, newpencilcase - it would be an optional function that you'd have to 'switch on'.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:06:51

Trill

My blog is in my real name. I have so far never linked it using my "known" MN name (if I can be so smug as to claim that I am "known").

Will I get told off for sockpuppeting if I post "here's a blog that I wrote about this subject that might be useful" under one name, then switch back to Trills to carry on the conversation? Or should I stick to one name per conversation? I guess I should really.

Probably best to stick to one name per convo, Trills. Can you not just carry on the whole convo in your "blog" name instead?

JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Sun 28-Apr-13 22:31:02

olgaga

So Justine, while you're here, why hasn't MNHQ responded to my request to include my advice and links blog in the MN Bloggers Network? I made two requests, the first on 7 December 2012, and I was told you'd been "inundated".

To the second request on 9 January 2013 I got no response at all!

I don't know the answer to that Olgaga but I will wave this in front of Kate and the Bloggers Network team.

Trill Sat 27-Apr-13 11:57:22

My blog is in my real name. I have so far never linked it using my "known" MN name (if I can be so smug as to claim that I am "known").

Will I get told off for sockpuppeting if I post "here's a blog that I wrote about this subject that might be useful" under one name, then switch back to Trills to carry on the conversation? Or should I stick to one name per conversation? I guess I should really.

hz Fri 26-Apr-13 20:49:43

Thank goodness for that. I have been very frustrated by the rule recently and I had been mentally drafting a persuasive e-mail to mumsnet towers to try and get them to see sense. I see my powers of persuasion are beyond anything I had previously imagined. I only had to THINK about it and it happened.

Justine - re: signalling you're a blogger.

I have a name I use connected to my blog, which I use in some (non-blog related) talk boards but also have another name which I use when I want to be anonymous.

I would like to be able to keep that option without it flagging up a Bloggers' badge b

olgaga Fri 26-Apr-13 20:17:36

So Justine, while you're here, why hasn't MNHQ responded to my request to include my advice and links blog in the MN Bloggers Network? I made two requests, the first on 7 December 2012, and I was told you'd been "inundated".

To the second request on 9 January 2013 I got no response at all!

JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Fri 26-Apr-13 18:31:23

agreenmouse

Just to clarify, if I post something with a link to my blog on a relevant thread in Talk, am I supposed to make clear that the blog is on Mumsnet and that I am the blogger, or is that not required?

It's not required agreenmouse but it's probably a good idea. We are thinking about whether there might be an auto way of showing that you're a member of MN bloggers network when you post on talk...

agreenmouse Thu 25-Apr-13 22:31:08

Just to clarify, if I post something with a link to my blog on a relevant thread in Talk, am I supposed to make clear that the blog is on Mumsnet and that I am the blogger, or is that not required?

I just name change wink

BasilBabyEater Thu 25-Apr-13 21:29:16

Yes can I ask about the name thing? I use a different name for my blog because of paranoia about being recognised in RL as some people know my MN ID but I don't necessarily want them to know I'm the same person who does my blog IYSWIM.

I'm a new member of the bloggers network but don't want my blog associated with this name (not because it's bad, just because I want to keep it compartmentalised grin).

Presumably it's ok to have a new name for when I'm posting about blog stuff, but what if a thread I'm on as Joyful evolves and I want to link to something on my blog? Presumably the sockpuppeting rules still apply, so would I just have to keep quiet and fume in frustration ?

I think this is a good move. I have linked to my blog on a couple of threads in the past, usually when they've been about current affairs.

I'm always very upfront that it is mine though. Seems strange to be able to link to other people's but not your own!

Presumably starting a thread in order to promote your blog is still frowned up :-D

PetiteRaleuse Thu 25-Apr-13 14:38:31

This is a great idea.

olgaga Thu 25-Apr-13 14:37:44

I tried to join the bloggers network (twice) with my Survive Separation advice and links blog but MNHQ ignored me!

MmeLindor Germany Thu 25-Apr-13 14:30:45

I do think it is polite to say that it is your own blog.

BoffinMum Thu 25-Apr-13 13:38:19

I usually write something like, "I've written a blog post about that very matter if you would like to know more" {link}.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now