A wee change in the rules re Blogposts on Talk

(77 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 10:50:38

Hello, hello,
As you may know, Mumsnet has a thriving Bloggers Network, which happily, many Talk regulars are part of. (Join up now if you're not and you'd like to be!)

Until now, we have specifically asked members of our Bloggers Network not to post links to their blogs on Talk (outside the Bloggers Talk topic) but that does feel a bit mad given folks are linking out all the time to relevant sources and many blogposts are directly relevant to and will enhance the discussions taking place on the site. So this is a heads up that we're relaxing the rule a bit to let MN Bloggers link to their blogs where the subject matter is relevant.

Obviously relevancy is key - this doesn't mean we're going to allow a spam free for all and certainly we'll advise bloggers that this is a discussion forum - so posting a link and running is not ideal - and that blatant, relentless self-promotion isn't on.

Whilst everyone's getting the hang of it we'd ask for a little bit of give and take from all sides [pretty please] and, as ever, we're open to your thoughts and suggestions, so please do feel free to post any here.

Many thanks.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 17:56:52

BIWI

Well, shall I be the first?

<legs it>

Ahem. Lovely blog but you should be posting the link on a thread about running/handwarmers/park birds of Britain, me dear. smile

Tee2072 Wed 24-Apr-13 17:57:16

There are plenty of blogs in the network that have nothing to do with being a mummy.

And there are blogs like mine which are peripherally about being a mummy, but mostly about being American, mentally & physically ill and pissed at the politicians of the world!

BIWI Wed 24-Apr-13 17:58:05

grin

I know there are a lot of threads on Mumsnet, Helen, but I think a handwarmer section is probably pushing it ...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 18:02:21

BIWI

grin

I know there are a lot of threads on Mumsnet, Helen, but I think a handwarmer section is probably pushing it ...

grin

(There probably is one somewhere - among the cobwebs in Other Stuff)

Hullygully Wed 24-Apr-13 18:10:32

BUT...what if there was a thread about handwarmers and bloggers dashed off a quick para about it on their blog and then linked?

Hmmmmm?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 18:15:06

Hullygully

BUT...what if there was a thread about handwarmers and bloggers dashed off a quick para about it on their blog and then linked?

Hmmmmm?

That would be fine - if handwarmers really were what the blogpost was about, rather than, say, keeping rabbits - with a quick line about handwarmers thrown in.

But otherwise, a blogger's quickly dashed thoughts, politely and engagingly posted, are just as welcome as any other Talk regular's quickly dashed thoughts...

Hullygully Wed 24-Apr-13 18:21:05

"engagingly"?

A minefield

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 24-Apr-13 18:21:21

Pah grin
You just wait, that's all I'm saying.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 18:23:42

Hullygully

"engagingly"?

A minefield

Nah, we have faith in MN Bloggers' huge reserve of engaging-ness. <thinks positive>

Gerrof Wed 24-Apr-13 18:49:30

I think it is a great idea.

I don't have a blog but like reading good ones, I don't really trawl the bloggers network on here so to have links to them within threads would be great.

BoffinMum Wed 24-Apr-13 19:15:43

That makes sense. It's bonkers not to be able to link if people would really appreciate specific info.

domesticslattern Wed 24-Apr-13 19:53:24

Very sensible amendment. Good good.

lougle Wed 24-Apr-13 20:08:01

Pressure, Tee? You've not seen the like. I bet people are furiously typing, trying to fit key words into irrelevant blog posts as we speak grin

BoffinMum Wed 24-Apr-13 20:46:12

Linkie to blog post about linking to blog posts. wink

MmeLindor Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:19

Hully
you have reminded me of a HILARIOUS blog with the tale of mummyblogger going shopping and finding at the till that her baby had obviously taken all the money out of her purse while playing with it earlier, and oh, how EMBARRASSING it would have been, had mummyblogger not had her VISA card in her purse.

Luckily, mummyblogger was able to pay with her VISA card, and didn't have to go all the way home without her shopping, and she was so glad that baby hadn't taken the VISA card out of the purse when she stole misplaced the money.

Moral of the story: always have your VISA card with you when you have a baby!

[post sponsored by VISA]

Maryz Wed 24-Apr-13 21:06:41

I might have to start a blog just so I can link to it <ponders>

After all, I'm a know it all, so I could link to my blog (and the answer to everything) from every thread. It might be fun in a blatant, relentless self promotion type of way

grin

katese11 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:26:28

I'm cautiously excited about this! I'm a little scared of life outside the bloggers' forum, so have mostly lurked on mumsnet, but I feel slightly less terrified now. On other fora (?!) I do have a tendency to drop a link in when someone says things like "tell me, in 500 words, why my child would enjoy the Science Museum" cause yknow, I have it right there ready. With pictures!
And yes, I am a BF/nominally attached parenting/chaotic life in a council estate in a slightly rough part of London type blogger, but the horrors of my potty-training era posts should assure you that I am far from smug....

Gerrof Wed 24-Apr-13 22:19:39

That's a really good idea Katese, that's the kind of link that would be really useful I think. It will also make threads more interesting I think.

blondieminx Wed 24-Apr-13 23:32:03

What firawla said smile

Trill Thu 25-Apr-13 08:10:49

I like this, but please can we encourage people to give a precis of the content of the blog?

OP: Question about wildfowl
Blogger: I've written a blog about how to keep herons out of your garden pond if you'd like to read it <linky>

NOT

OP; Question about wildfowl
Blogger: <linky>

MmeLindor Thu 25-Apr-13 08:26:27

I like that idea, Trills.

Patchouli Thu 25-Apr-13 08:34:58

tethersend grin

Tee2072 Thu 25-Apr-13 10:04:38

Excellent point Trills. So many of us have been burned by various links (I'm looking at you HQ with that damn bat) that knowing what we're clicking would be good!

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 25-Apr-13 11:14:46

I don't have a blog, how does anyone have the energy to write a blog? I have enough trouble living my life nevermind writing about it as well

Tee2072 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:19:14

We don't sleep Jardin. Fact.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now