Swearing. Why?

(295 Posts)
dummad Tue 23-Apr-13 13:21:27

I'n not averse to the odd 'FFS' or whatever, but it seems to me that the use of the C word is now commonplace on every thread nowadays. And i don't like it one bit.

It never used to be like this. Why the cultural shift? I never hear it spoken out loud so why is it suddenly ok to plaster it all over MN?

Is it suddenly 'en vogue' to sound like a drunken navvy? Words like cunt, snatch, twat etc are just vile. Can't we reign it in a bit?

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 23-Apr-13 14:22:44

yay a sniffy sweary thread and a dragon fab. I obv only commented so I could use the dragon though. You never know when a dragon will come along again.

fwiw I think there is less swearing now than there used to be and I rarely see gratuitous swearing dragon

WTFisABooyhoo Tue 23-Apr-13 14:23:02

are drunken naccys not allowed on MN? sad

MakingAnotherList Tue 23-Apr-13 14:23:39

I rarely swear in real life and never have online. I don't think that makes me better than anybody else. I certainly don't look down on those that do swear. I do wish, however, that there wasn't as much of it on mumsnet. I have had to quickly close the app/window many times when my daughters come and sit next to me and I'm reading something on here.
I know that the solution is to only use mumsnet when they are in bed or at school, but sometimes I like to sit and read for 5 minutes.

WTFisABooyhoo Tue 23-Apr-13 14:24:03

ohh ffffffiddlesticks! wink look what i've done.

i do of course mean drunken navvys

Tee2072 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:25:57

Just for curiosity sake, MakingAnotherList, how old are your children and do you think they don't swear when you're not around?

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 23-Apr-13 14:26:45

Oh yes, also stereotyping navvies as drunken, very offensive indeed.

Really fucking offensive in fact.

dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon dragon

Nope....still doesn't feel as good as swearing. Sorry OP grin

ouryve Tue 23-Apr-13 14:29:52

Oooh, we've got a fucking dragon! dragon

Though if dragons did fuck, maybe we'd see more of them. Not so sure that would be a good thing. Good job they appear to be even worse at it than giant pandas.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 23-Apr-13 14:31:04

If your DC are old enough to read chances are they will have come across swearing before. DS1 has just learned the f word as we refer to it and the other week DH said something was fucking ridiculous and DS1 was all shock daddy said the F word. Then his nanna taught him how to spell it as 'if he can say it he should be able to spell it' grin

he is 7 and knows you can't go about saying fuck all over the place, but he knows it exists and that his father occasionally uses it!

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 23-Apr-13 14:31:42

Orchard is that a herd of dragon's you have there?

ouryve Tue 23-Apr-13 14:33:10

And I can't believe we got so far in this thread without an ODFOD.

I think it's a flock? They have wings and shit don't they? smile

IamtheZombie Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:52

Zombie believes that dragon shit is highly prized by some folk. It reputedly has magical properties, doesn't it?

Isn't it a step up from rare bat guano in terms of valuble-shit? I believe it is you know wink

TheSecondComing Tue 23-Apr-13 14:37:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MakingAnotherList Tue 23-Apr-13 14:39:07

Tee2072 They are 6 and 8. I am positive that they don't swear when I'm not around.

BitBewildered Tue 23-Apr-13 14:39:38

I like swearing. It's one of my favourite things about MN.

Tee2072 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:39:54

You'd probably be surprised, MakingAnotherList.

I actually swear less on here than in rl...as I know it can come across the wrong way when you can't tell if someone's joking etc.

Would much rather be called a cunt than a yoni though tbh... <CRINGE> hmm

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 23-Apr-13 14:43:34

I suspect my 7yo practices saying fuck when I'm not about what with him now being obsessed with it.

Orchard I don't think dragons can actually fly. Their wings look ornamental to me. I imagine they stomp about the land eating grass like cows

I have heard plenty of "naice" 8 year olds using adult language tbh

and Mumsnet is an adult site, so you cant really complain it isnt appropriate for your children to read.

kneedeepindaisies Tue 23-Apr-13 14:44:44

Calling someone a Yoni gringringrin

Tee2072 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:47:59

Of course dragons can fly! Have you never read the Hobbit?!?!

Dragons can't fly. I mean honestly!

MakingAnotherList Tue 23-Apr-13 14:49:42

I know my children.
My teenager does swear when not at home. I've seen her texts and met her friends. My younger girls don't.
I accept that people here swear but I don't let my children see it.

Wallison Tue 23-Apr-13 14:51:57

I am grin grin at teaching a child how to spell 'fucking'. Love it! If you're going to swear, do it properly; that's the ticket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now